Snowblower Dilema

/ Snowblower Dilema #31  
Catman1 said:
Thanks Brian. I have thought of a snow fence. I may need to put up about 800 to 1000' of fence to do the job. I need to look into the science of that. The wind blows about 50 - 70 mph straight across the road and I also would need to know how high a fence, how far back and the cost. Any ideas?

Maybe not having drifts anymore would take all the fun out of the tractor!!!

Well, you could put the fence on the upwind side of the driveway about three feet away and you would have all the fun you could handle! :) I went to a college where they did exactly that on a long walk way (the installers knew nothing about snow fences). We would have drifts on the walkway higher than the fence!

As the wind blows through the slats of the fence it creates turbulence. Usually there is a small space on the down wind side of the fence that is bare. Maybe a foot or two. Then the snow just drops and the drifts can build up to higher than the fence. This drift, if it is far enough from the driveway, will prevent snow from dropping out of the wind on the driveway. It will take some distance for the wind to build up enough snow to make another drift. As a kid, I remember the snow fence as being a great place to play because you could walk between the fence and the drift and then jump into snow over your head. I googled snow fence installation and this is the first of many links on the subject. Snow Fence Installation Instructions

/ Snowblower Dilema
Thanks BrianW. I will check out the link and learn about snow fences. Yes, I can believe that if you put the fence a few feet from the drive, I would have loads of fun!!! Probably get drifts 5 feet high or more.

Another problem with the fence is that the land slopes away from the road down about 10 to 12 degree slop and the road itself goes level for about 800 feet then starts down a 12 degree grade. Along the road the land also undulates up and down forming small hill and gullies. Snow fence installation would be tough.

We had a forest fire a number of years ago and all the trees around there are gone, so the wind rules.

/ Snowblower Dilema #33  
If you let the snow piles build a bit on the upwind side of your driveway and then push them back around 35 to 40 ft., you'll have a snow fence of sorts. That's how I handled a bad drifting problem at small local airport with a North-South runway.

Every morning the runway & taxiway was drifted in, piles were so high the plow truck couldn't clear them. Couldn't blow the snow upwind and blowing downwind dumped it on the runway. Spent a full day pushing the piles back with a NH TV140 with a pusher blade and solved the problem. The drifts built on the downwind sides of the snow piles but, as they were far enough from the runway & taxiway, they stayed clear.

Airport manager still curses me when he mows next to the runway, however. The TV140 rutted up the grass on the runway edge a bit. But he was in Florida while this was going on.
Bob

/ Snowblower Dilema #34  
You squeezed the dealers gonads on the original price by playing the old another dealer quoted me a lower price game. You can't blame him for quoting retail (which is what he did). If I was the dealer, I'd do the same thing. Come to think about, maybe he don't want your business. Folks like you are what causes good dealers to fold up.

You'd better hope it never needs work.....then he's got ya.:D

I deal with ag tractors so I don't quibble over price when I purchase one. I do expect good after the sale service and I get it. You aren't going to.:p

/ Snowblower Dilema
Don't worry 5030. The dealer is doing well. It is good to get quotes as long as you are fair about it and I was upfront with the local dealer. I really had considered purchasing a tractor out of state. I told the local dealer exactly what I was doing but I then decided I really wanted to work with a local dealer so I could have local service and a good relationship even with a higher price.

His first price for the tractor was pretty hefty compared to what what others were paying around the country. It brought him a little back to earth. We do live in Colorado and the prices are much higher here then in many parts of the country and demand is high so prices follow.

Since then I have upped my order to the M8530 as I live at 8000 feet and the Turbo engine will work better and hold the power needed for the hill work.

The dealer is making good money on the deal and the 102 inch plow blade that is coming with the tractor. I think he is very happy with the deal.

/ Snowblower Dilema
That's a good idea Bob_Young. Maybe Denver should have thought of that for the snow storm before Christmas.

Yes, I truly believe in Rom 8:28 brother.

/ Snowblower Dilema
Sorry, I ment I am getting a M8540. I only type with two fingers!