Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD-2640

Default Kubota vs John Deere

Ok guys, I am relatively new to TBN and have certainly gained a lot of information on several tractor issues, projects, modifications, etc.

I have begun to look in ernest for a new tractor. I currently own a 1978 JD-2640. Been a great tractor for me for about 15 years. It is about 70 hp at the PTO and I use it to do some dirt jobs (lot grading, building up yards) and bushhogging for hire and keeping up food plots and roads at the hunting lease. The tractor is getting a little age on it, as I have, and I want to move up and purchase a brand new tractor with a cab, 4wd & FEL.

Both JD and kubota seem to have a great product and I want to make some fair comparisons.

Questions that I have are:

1. I see JD utilizes a u-joint on the front wheel drive vs Kubota appears to have some type of bevel gear. Any pros or cons to either?

2. I assume I will want the wet clutch and wet brakes due to dirt work. Is that option available on each.

I am still not sure what hp range I am going to ultimately settle on, but it will be in the 70-90 hp range.

I'm sure other questions or considerations will come as the process moves along.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Mike

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Default Re: Kubota vs John Deere

I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, but I know a few things in "broad brush".

The bevel gear front axle assembly is a VERY stout assembly. It takes all the moving parts and seals them in a solid axle while a universal system has the rotating parts "out there". A bevel gear system is much heavier but provides a great deal more ground clearance near the wheel (a universal can be tucked high in the middle, but eventually has to wander down to the middle of the tire near the wheel). Another comparison: A military HMMWV (Hummer) and Mercedes UNIMOG use bevel gear type assemblies for the very same reasons...durability and clearance...while nearly every other vehicle on the planet makes due with straight or universal type axle assemblies. On a tractor, bevel is better.

My brother does heavy construction and gets all manner of equipment for his job (once drove a CAT D9 on one of his jobs...THAT'S a big dozer). Of all the equipment he purchases/rents, he prefers NOT to get John Deere products. Not that he has HUGE problems with them (really, I'm not a Deere basher...just passing along what I've heard first hand from an informed source) but if there is a problem, it always seems to be a pain to fix. Case in point: He had a starter go bad on a Deere excavator. The technician came out and had a hard time getting the parts. Apparently, that exact same model and year of excavator had NO FEWER THAN THREE DIFFERENT STYLES OF STARTER that could be used because Deere apparently switched between "low bidder" suppliers so many times. There were other things, but that sticks out in my mind as one that REALLY confused me. Probably more true of the newer stuff than the older stuff and may be more true of construction equipment than tractors. Dunno.

I'm sure there are positives and negatives all around and whatever you decide will be the right decision for you. For my part, I didn't see any element of the JD tractor that made me feel "Holy crap, that tractor is so much nicer than the kubota". And they want more money for them for whatever reason.
    Last edited by KeithInSpace; 02-15-2007 at 06:03 PM.
    Kubota BX2230, FEL, Woods BH, 60" MMM, Bagger, 4' Box Blade, PHD, 8' x 20' 10k# Dovetail Trailer

Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do.

Veteran Member

Your JD has been loyal and reliable to you for all these years...go with a brand you trust. Good luck with your quest and be sure to post some pics of that monster when you get it!
    -Podunk

Tractor
    John Deere 990

What you need to do is figure out a dollar amount you want to spend, then compare JD and kubota based on what that amount will buy. It will be a real eye opener.

Tractor
    JD, Allis-Chalmers, Zetor

I just came back from a local ag show & saw my dealer with a MFWD cabbed Zetor 6441 with a price of $28,900 in the window. Zetor was the mfg source for JD 2240-2840 series utilities sold in South American markets.

I stepped up from a JD A to a cab Zetor 55PTO MFWD and someone has managed to mangle my 8' attachments. The MFWD will pull about 25-30% more than 2wd.

http://zetorna.com/html/Brochures/ProximaPlus_2007.pdf

One thing to add on the config sheet is a jump seat in the cab for those visiting passengers or future farmers?

Pix of helper, rock found with the plow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veneer Tree Farmer

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Quote Originally Posted by therebarely
    What you need to do is figure out a dollar amount you want to spend, then compare JD and kubota based on what that amount will buy. It will be a real eye opener.
    Or not. Depends on your area. In my area JD products do not cost much more than comparable Kubota products.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

The kubota M7040 through 9540 and M95S seem most likely for your work. The comparable JD models with cabs are 5x25 series. Despite my immediately prior post, in this range the Kubotas will probably be somewhat less $$, especially with a cab. But compare features and engineering before you decide.

The u-joint front axle is used on this class of tractor by almost everyone except Kubota. I have nothing against bevel joints, especially as they often give a tighter turning radius, but JD knows what they're doing too. On the JD tractors in this range the front axle will have an outboard planetary drive, which is about as heavy duty as you can get. I don't think this is a significant factor for your decision. Also, both those brands will have inboard planetary for the rear final drive, which is definitely what you want (most other brands will too, but not all of the Case IH tractors).

Every JD and Kubota in that hp range will have wet brakes, so that won't be a factor either. You'd have to search pretty far to find a 70hp tractor made today with dry brakes.

As for clutch, the wet clutch will be an option on either brand. For your dirt work it sounds like a very good idea.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either JD or Kubota in this range. But I would look at New Holland, Case IH, and maybe even a few others before I settled on just those two brands. I would also look closely at dealer support - if your area has a good dealer for brand X and a bad dealer for brand Y, I would go with brand X regardless of minor differences in features or price.

Veteran Member

kubota makes a big deal out of the bevel front axle however, Deere stands behind their design and they believe it to be the strongest in the industry. When comparing the two look at things like maintenance intervales, Deere is usually one service to Kubota's two. Kubota has two hydrualic filters, Deere has one, Kubota 250 oil filter service interavles Deere is 500 hours. Kubota's fan belts needs to be checked every 100 hours, Deere's is a self tension device. There is a great comparison between the two (it is a two part comparison) on Deere's dealer website...ask your Deere dealer to pull it up, really shows the strength of the Deere.

Of course it being a Deere comparison it will be bias towards green...however, facts are facts and that can't be denied. Good luck, either machine will be worlds ahead of where you are now!!
    GreenSouth Equipment
    14 locations throughout FL, GA, & SC
    www.greensouth.com
    www.greensouthused.com

Tractor
    JD-2640

Thanks for the input guys. I am probably green at heart, but when I looked at the orange M series Kubotas, I thought they were on to something. The 55xx series tractors had one neat feature that I thought was very user friendly. They have a remote switch on the back fender to raise or lower the 3 point hitch. Now that is a serious consideration when you are hooking up implements by yourself.

I am not deadset on either brand at this time, but in comparing a 70 hp tractor, the JD is higher. I have several dealers within a 75 mile radius that handle both of my primary choices and I have gone and looked at Zetor, New Holland, YTM (I think) and Case International. This is how I have narrowed down to JD and kubota.

I really appreciate the input. I kinow that 4 wheel drive translates into greater pulling power and I may start looking at the M7040 and the comparable JD 55xx series. Either one is a sizable investment and since I am in the almost retired mode, I don't want to make a mistake buying on color alone.

Mike

Tractor
    John Deere LX178

Bayou,

Just thought you would like to know that the Deere 5x25 series tractors with the Electro-Hydraulic Three-Point Hitch also have a switch on the left rear fender for ease of implement hook-up. There is also an option to add another switch on the right rear fender. (don't ask me why)
    I can run a D100 and a 9560RT (and most of the models in between) all in the same day!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast