Thumb for an L48 Backhoe?

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe? #1  

tractortad

Tractor
2000 JD 5510 (4x4), 1957 JD 720, 1957 JD 520,1954 JD 40U, 1936 JD A, 1948 JD Styled D
Does Kubota sell a thumb for their L48 Backhoe? I was at a dealer today checking out an L48 and he couldn't find anything in his ordering guide on backhoe thumbs. He found one for the B26 but not the L39 or L48. Seems kind of strange that Kubota wouldn't offer a thumb for their bigger backhoes. I am considering either the L48 or the Deere 110 and the backhoe thumb is a major consideration for me.

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe? #2  
tractortad said:
Does Kubota sell a thumb for their L48 Backhoe? I was at a dealer today checking out an L48 and he couldn't find anything in his ordering guide on backhoe thumbs. He found one for the B26 but not the L39 or L48. Seems kind of strange that Kubota wouldn't offer a thumb for their bigger backhoes. I am considering either the L48 or the Deere 110 and the backhoe thumb is a major consideration for me.

Take a look at the Kubota excavators (i.e. the U35). They make thumbs for the excavators (here's a link) that I think can be used on the TLBs. I'm looking at this as a possible option for the L39. I'm still researching, though.

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe? #3  
tractortad said:

tractortad,

The 110TLB has a factory thumb available. The Order Code is LVB25657 - you must have the 7 function dipperstick and an 18" (or larger) Quick Coupler bucket for it to work. I included a picture below if you are interested. Let me know if you have any other questions on the 110...

Attachments

• 110 thumb.gif
    110 thumb.gif
    37 KB · Views: 702
   / Thumb for an L48 Backhoe? #4  
Currently considering ...
Kubota L39 TLB: TL1715 Front Rem-Hyd, BTB404 Rear Rem-Hyd, L9553 Rem-Valves, L9554 TNT, K7770 QA Coupler for BH Bucket, K7874 18" Trenching Bucket, L9475 Drawbar, L9476 Tool Box, L8044 Rear Work Lights, 70000-00297 Block-Heater, Filled Tires, No FEL Bucket
And, implements: 4N1 FEL Bucket, Hyd PHD, Hyd Thumb, Box-Blade, Front Blade, Rear Blade, Rotary/Flail Mower, Spreader, Hopper, Pallet Forks

That's a fully loaded L39

That KX-80-3 looks nice on Kubota's website.

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe?
Witel -

That powergrip bucket is nifty, but the smallest one they have weighs 700lb - even if it does fit on the L39 hoe it's probably too heavy to use for a backhoe that will only lift about 1200lb. Those things look like something you'd use on a full size backhoe or excavator.

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe? #7  
tractortad said:
Witel -

That powergrip bucket is nifty, but the smallest one they have weighs 700lb - even if it does fit on the L39 hoe it's probably too heavy to use for a backhoe that will only lift about 1200lb. Those things look like something you'd use on a full size backhoe or excavator.
Yup. I just thought it was interesting. I noticed that they were very heavy ... hence my comment about not fitting your application ... and definitely not mine. I'd like to find a smaller one somewhere.

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe? #8  
There is a company in TN that makes a thumb for the L48. We just installed one on a unit that is sold. Kubota does not offer the thumb on the L48 but surely will when they replace the model.

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe? #9  
I have a L48 with a monster hyd. thumb, the machine came from Chappell and their thumb company is Addington equipment (Chichester, NH?). It is important that the thumb and bucket be on the same pin, not a cheap weld on. Mine was prof. done and was not cheap, but it is amazing. There is a JD 110 down the st. with a tiny Bear Claw thumb. The piston is the size of my Ford Taurus trunk release piston (tiny). I also have a KX121 with factory thumb, I like my custom L48 one better and may upgrade my excavtor thumb with a bigger paddle.

/ Thumb for an L48 Backhoe?
curtisfarmer -

thanks for the info - how did you route hydraulics to the thumb? Did you use the factory Kubota setup or was that a custom job, too?