Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #1  

shawn_king

Folks,

I'm looking at a 3pth Woods B6000 for a Kubota b7500DT. I have heard good and bad about 3pth hoes, but have never been able to find a good pro's and con's list. Does anyone have one?

Also will the hoe increase my center of gravity by much? I have a hilly property and it can be a bit of a problem.

Thanks

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #2  
You might do a search for "three point backhoe". It has been discussed a lot over the years. There are even a few pictures where compact tractors have had their bell housings and transmissions broken from three point hoes. Having said that, you will also have a few that will say that they have used them for years, but given the cost to repair a broken tractor, a subframe would be cheap.

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #3  
I have a M7040 and decided on a BushHog 850 backhoe... but the catch is you really need a subframe. They are worth the extra $700 (or so). They take all the weight off the 3 point hitch and put the weight where it belongs. Not to include they won't void the warranty on your tractor, like not using one will, and they make hookup a cinch. Good luck and let me know if you need any links.

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #4  
I suspect that those 3pt mounts that have caused damage to Kubota tractors were becaused that the installer did not use the top link reinforcement that is available for most models. That and improper attachment. Didn't follow the directions :(

Vernon

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #5  
Maybe, but my dealer told me that if I installed the BH850 on my M7040 without the subframe then they would not cover any damage under warranty. Maybe they just wanted to sell me the subframe but it sure is nice and well worth the money since I have taken it off and on multiple times and can do it well under 10 minutes.

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #6  
shawn_king said:
Folks,

I'm looking at a 3pth Woods B6000 for a Kubota b7500DT. I have heard good and bad about 3pth hoes, but have never been able to find a good pro's and con's list. Does anyone have one?

Also will the hoe increase my center of gravity by much? I have a hilly property and it can be a bit of a problem.

Thanks

I'd PM one of the many tractor dealers on site. They will tell you to never use a backhoe w/o a subframe.

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #7  
I was a bit nervous at first when I got mine (3pt), but after going over it with the dealer and seeing the set up first hand I got comfortable with it. I would have liked a sub mount but then it would have been problamatic for installing a MMM.

As I see it now it's pretty beefy and I doubt Kubota would build something they don't stand behind or have not properly tested. So far no troubles with mine and I've yet to hear of anyone with a properly installed one having any problems. I think the subframe mounted ones do extend the entire hoe out a bit, so it may be a problem for some guys depending on their application (gravity wise). Here's a shot of my mount on the 3pt hitch. Yeah that top link is as big as it looks and heavy as **** too!!! :D

_MAM0005.jpg

BH-3PT-Hookup.jpg

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #8  
I am not advocating the 3pt mount over a subframe mount but I do think that in certain applications the 3pt mount will suffice. When I get a backhoe my primary appliation will be stump removal (small, less than 12" dia) in sandy soil. No rocks or clay. Add some shallow excavation. In that situation a 3pt would work. I, too, will probably go with a subframe mount for insurance.

Taiser -- I notice that your installation has the reinforced top link bracket as it should.

Vernon

/ Backhoe - 3pth v Subframe Mount #9  
Below is a picture of what can happen with too much force on a 3-point hitch. This happened by mis-using a logging winch, not a backhoe. But it is food for thought if anybody thinks 3-point hitches can handle anything. It's been a while since this wreckage was posted at TBN .
Offered again here as a cautionary tale......

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 2,041