To buy new Kubota now, or not to buy now?

/ To buy new Kubota now, or not to buy now? #1  

Richie46

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a new Kubota now, and maybe you can help. This is my situation: I'm presently running a small beef cattle operation (~30 head) as a hobby. My current tractor's tasks are handling round bales of hay (4X5 and 5X5), and pasture clipping. As I look to the future, I'm planning to retire in a more northerly location that will require plenty of snow removal. For retirement, the heavy duty needs for the tractor will greatly diminish and I expect my needs to center around snow removal, garden tilling, and normal landscaping. For the snow removal part, I'll be sure to have a cab. With that being said, I sure wouldn't mind having a cab with AC between now and retirement time. For that reason, I'm considering a GL3430 HSTC with a loader and mid PTO. My big question is, will this machine handle the hay I'm presently moving? If so, what should I expect to pay for such a machine? Right now, I have a John Deere 5300 4WD with a very recent Woods 1024 loader, and it performas my hay handling tasks with ease. If the GL3430 HSTC won't really handle my hay, then I'll keep my 5300 until I retire, and then probably look at purchasing a B3030HSDC with mid PTO and a snow blower.

Thanks for any advice.

/ To buy new Kubota now, or not to buy now? #2  
If it were me, I'd keep the current tractor and buy whatever else I need when I retire. Question: How long until retirement?

BC

/ To buy new Kubota now, or not to buy now?
I've decided to do exactly what Big Cajun said. I'll keep my current machine and change when I need to. Besides, I just got back from the local Kubota dealer and he said, "He would rather not sell me a Kubota that's too small for my current work today, but rather wait until I'm done handling the round bales and sell me the tractor I need at that time." The loader on the 3430 will lift the weight, but being able to do anything with a bale on the loader is a whole different story. It was good to see a honest dealer!

BTW, to answer Big Cajun's question, retirement is 2-5 years away right now.

/ To buy new Kubota now, or not to buy now? #4  
I run about 30 head of cows and move round bales with a 5030. I don't believe any smaller tractor would successfully and safely carry 1500 lb round bales on the FEL. A TPH fork on the rear is a different story. It will carry bales, but not as convientely. Either way, very significant weight is needed on either front or rear.

If your current tractor meets your needs except for a cab, seems to me that the purchase decision would be to either get a cab model that will meet durrent AND future needs... or wait...