Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere)

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #1  

pebald1

Tractor
JD 3320 Cab Tractor
Hello!

I've been out reading your boards as I'm considering buying a new tractor and decided to give a shout out and see if your members might be able to help.

I've recently purchased a home in the country with apx 14 acres. Most of this acreage is mowable (guessing about 10 acres), including a small orchard with 16 apple trees. Most of the property is on rolling hills with some level spots (house, garage, carport, orchard) and one steep area. I have a 120' long driveway that opens into a an 80'x50' paved parking area, and have a carport area that has a 150'x40' gravel drive and parking area.

I have a small JD L110 with 42" deck that I mow the level areas with. I mow my field primarily with a 48" Ag-Fab, 10hp tow behind mower, which I tow behind my Outlander 4x4 atv. I also have an old 78 GMC 4x4 rust bucket with plow that I use for keeping the drive clean of snow.

As for the mowing, the equipment I have is obviously not sufficient for maintaining close to 10 acres of "lawn". Additionally the plow truck I have is tempromental at best. I have decided that I want to go with a tractor with a factory cab so I can have all the comforts. I should mention that my father comes over to help me out from time to time and he has problems breathing so I'm thinking an environmentally controlled cab is good.

Apples & Oranges:

I'm considering the following tractors: New Holland TC40DA, JD 3320, Kubota B3030 with a FEL and 6' rear finish mower. I know the NH is a higher class than the other two, but it's the smallest NH makes with a factory cab. Unfortunately, it's 5-7K more expensive than both the JD and Kubota, so I've taken the NH out of the picture.

I test drove the Kubota B3030 and liked it, but the cab was a bit noisier than I thought it would be. My JD dealer is trying to get a 3320 with loader put together for me to try out. He has another 3000 series with CAB that I can look at to try to get the full picture.

Since I haven't seen the 3320 in person yet, I'm not sure if I'm truely comparing apples to apples. It appears to be a physically bigger tractor than the kubota. Can anyone help in this manner?

The B3030HSDC (with cab) with LA403 and a 72" Brush Hog rear discharge finish mower were quoted an apx $23,500. The JD 3320 with cab and 300cx, without mower was quoted an apx $25,000. Assuming, JD could come up with a rear mower in the $1500 range, we're looking at a minimum 3K difference.

I noticed a few other things that are different in comparing these 2 tractors. The kubota comes with a mid mount PTO standard, 2 external rear view mirrors standard and a grill guard standard with installation of the FEL. The JD does not. The kubota pricing also includes loading the tires and the JD does not. I'm assuming that by time these items are added to JD that we're looking at closs to a 4K difference.

Is the JD that much more tractor than the kubota? Are these reasonable prices? In reading the boards, I think the B3030 is more equavalent to the JD 20 series, but wanted to confirm.

Please note that both dealers are very reputable and have outstanding service centers. I think both dealers will offer very good service.

1 final question. Are there financial centers that specialize in tractor financing, particularly for used tractors?

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #2  
I would think the Kubota L3240 would be a better comparison with the JD 3320. However, the 3320 may be kind of in the middle between the L3030 and L3240.

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #4  
Croomrider said:
I would think the Kubota L3240 would be a better comparison with the JD 3320. However, the 3320 may be kind of in the middle between the L3030 and L3240.

True, I Agree that the JD 3320 is a lot more tractor than the the B3030. The 300CX out classes a lot of loaders. Shouldn't it be Green Apples (John Deere) and Oranges (Kubota)

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #5  
Interesting, as I was just in a similiar situation over the past couple of months. I was looking at a TC40DA (because I to want/need a CAB). The J.D. 4120 and the Kubota L4240. In the end I ended up going Orange, why?

A.) I had to finance my purchase and I was looking for something affordable in the payment category, meaning longer than 36 month terms on at least a $27,000 loan. If you look at J.D.'s credit terms past 36 months it's 9.9% - NH and Kubota's are both about the same, which is significantly lower in the 48 and 60 month intervals than 9.9%.

B.) You mentioned the other main factor already, cost. When it came down to comparing tractors, to me the big three (J.D., Kubota and NH) all seemed to have generally about the same features and specs. Yes one tractor weighed 400 lbs more, or it's fuel tank was a gallon more, but horse power and lift wise nearly the same on similiar horse power models. Now this is were the Deere dealer starts talking about true cost of ownership, because yes there maintenance schedule is much less frequent than the Kubota's. However, just as you are discovering, I failed to see how spending and extra $4,000 (without the additional finance costs) to go green was somehow going to be made up by maybe $200-$400 more in maintenance costs per year going orange or blue.

C.) Dealer location and services. The nearest J.D. dealer was about 25 miles away, and the Kubota and New Holland dealers were both about 15, not that big of a difference, but something worth considering when your deciding is who will be doing the service and where it will be done. I wasn't impressed with the look of the local J.D. dealers maintenance shop, take a look at your dealers...Speaking of services the dealer I bought from offered free pickup and delivery, that right there saved me another $1500 or $50 in rental fees for having to buy/rent a trailer to haul my tractor in.

In the end I think it's all a matter of personal opinion and wallet size. Clearly J.D. believes they have a superior product that people will be willing to pay a superior price for. The question is are you willing to pay it, or do you believe it is superior to the competition. I didn't...

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere)
I think you guys are right and I had it wrong. It should be Green Apples (JD) and Oranges (Kubota). LOL.

I appreciate the feedback. Looks like I need to compare a slightly bigger Kubota tractor to see where things stand, including my financing option.

I do like that the JD appears to be a quieter cab and is more tightly sealed, but we'll see.

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #7  
As others have stated, the B3030 is a smaller size class than the others. JD 3320 would be great, and as noted compares to the smaller L-series Kubotas. Right now I'd like for Kubota L30's on clearance, as the L40's seem to be priced at a premium. OTOH if the B3030 has enough power for your needs, it is a great deal with a cab. Cab tractors cost real money even in the compact size range.

As long as you're shopping anyway, you might look at Kioti also. I say this as a happy JD owner.

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #8  
pebald,

As others have already said, the B3030 and 3320 are not comparable tractors... RFB asked this question awhile back, so I will paste in the blurb I wrote him regarding both tractors - I hope it helps somewhat.

John Deere 3320 Cab - 32.5 hp Direct-Injected Diesel; 11.8 gal Fuel Tank; Mechanical Scissor-Link Seat Suspension; Standard Joystick SCV control; 3 Range eHydro transmission w/TwinTouch pedals; Helical Gear Final Drive; Open Center Hydraulic System with 13.9 gpm total flow; 2,200# three-point lift capacity @ 24" behind link ends; OSHA, SAE & CSA certified cab; 80 dba noise rating in cab; 68" wheelbase; Unballasted weight - 3,570 lbs.

Kubota B3030 HSDC - 30.0 hp Indirect-injected Diesel; 8.1 gal Fuel Tank; Spring Seat Suspension; 3 Range hydrostatic transmission with treadle pedal control; Spur Gear Final Drive; Open Center Hydraulic System with 9.1 gpm total flow; 1,676# three-point lift capacity @ 24" behind link ends; OSHA certified cab; 85 dba noise rating in cab; 65.6" wheelbase; Unballasted weight - 2,271lbs.

In regards to financing - Deere is currently offering 0% for 36 months - and if you need a longer term, it is not 9.9% (as someone else stated) It is 5.99% for 48 / 6.99% for 60 or 72 months / 7.49% for 84 months. All of these plans are available with no money down, if you prefer.

Now to pricing... If you compare the 3320 Cab with the B3030HSDC, there will be a pretty big price difference - but we have already shown that the two tractors really are not comparable. The L3240HSTC would be the most comparable, in my opinion - same PTO hp, similar size, similar weight, etc... Just make sure you check on the financing, because I don't believe that Kubota is offering the 0% for 36 months on the new Grand L 40 Series tractors - you may have to go to the older Grand L 30 series to get the 0%.

Anyway, I hope I was of some help - and Good Luck with your new tractor - no matter if you get Green Apples or Oranges - they are both tasty!!! (and well built!)

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #9  
If you can possibly afford it, 0% for 36 months is a lot better deal than 6% for 48 months.

Check out the payment schedule before you decide.

/ Apples (Kubota) and Oranges (John Deere) #10  
My bad the 9.9% was if you didn't put 10% down (which is something I was not interested in doing either) they also have the rates BleedGreen talked about...

I also agree with BleedGreen about the L series being more of a compairson to the Deere your looking at.

I drove the Cab Deere and I would agree with there %'s on how much quiter it was, the Kubota wasn't nearly as 'tight'...

Spend the extra money if you got it...