345 vs 355ss

/ 345 vs 355ss #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
Greetings...

Any experiences or pros / cons of one of these machines (345 vs 355ss) over the other? (I'm planning on clearing a bit of land (mountainous) and want to create a rough road, skid trees, and use a bush hog to keep the re-created field open...).

Thank you in advance!
Adam

/ 345 vs 355ss #2  
The L345 and L355 were (are) very bullet-proof tractors - check "Kubota Reviews". No major problems were common on these models that I know of. I'm assuming from you post that both models are currently available. The tranny is 8x2 on the L345 and 8x8 on the L355 shuttle shift.

These 2 are very similar tractors - the L355 being the better choice if they are similar condition, similar hours, etc. The shuttle is a nice feature and the 355 has just a little more power. They both handle full-size implements - 6' light duty rotary (like Bush Hog Sqealer) will work fine. They also have 2-speed pto which is handy for snowblowing, sicklebar mowing.

Check the clutch - it is two-stage, one for drive wheels and one for pto. The drive wheels clutch wears faster than the pto clutch - make sure that pushing the pedal all the way down really disengages the pto - if not the main clutch needs to be replaced because there is no separate adjustment.

I bought a L345 new and ran it a long time - got a bigger rig in 1997(?) - sold the 345 for about what I'd paid for it in 1983. Still looks good and runs great today (now lives at a neighbor's).

Let me know if there's anything else I can offer info about. Good luck - and have fun shopping.

/ 345 vs 355ss #3  
Adam - I thought of some other stuff you might be interested in - the Kubota 1720 loader for these tractors is larger, has more power and reach, than most of the loaders on new 35 hp tractors today. That can be good - especially for site work. Need to be a bit more careful with the loader raised when on sloped ground. For more stability, I added ballast to the rear tires and set them out for about 72" overall width.

Also this loader was sold with external hydraulic pump (mounted on the front of the engine and had a reservoir on the right loader frame) or could be had without the external pump, running from the tractors own internal hydraulics. The external setup gives quicker loader motion, the internal is slower but just as powerful (same pressure - less gpm). Since I wasn't loading dump trucks, the internal was fast enough.

Have you seen both models? What year are they? Similar in condition? asking price? I can connect you with the present owner of "my" L345 - he's a builder with a hilly homesite and can give you some first-hand opinions - last time I talked to him he was still in love with it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 345 vs 355ss
Greetings!

Thank you for your responses! I'm hoping to look at both tractors in-person in a few weeks. They are both around 1983-1985 with similar hours. The 355ss (shuttle) has new tires (ag) and canopy. 345 they're asking 8500, 10700 for the 355ss. Supposedly in similar condition, but I'll have to check them out in person to be sure. Is there anything in particular to watch on these as I check them out (other than the clutch you mentioned? I may contact you if I have more questions after I check the machines in person....

Thank you again!
Adam

/ 345 vs 355ss #5  
On these models and on the 305, there is a spot at the top front corner of the engine block where an oil leak can develop. Some do, many don't. It can look like the head gasket is leaking - which may or may not be true.

I know about this because my 345 started leaking there - I replaced the head gasket - twice, still had the leak, finally found the culprit and fixed it with a dab of epoxy.

If either of the engines looks like there's oil leaking, it would be good to know why/where/what before plunking buckage.

These rigs have Kubota loaders? Prices sound ok if they're in decent shape. Ag tires work well - have not seen R1's on these models.

/ 345 vs 355ss #6  
Had a L305DT with the 1720 loader and a Kelly 30 backhoe that I bought about 1980. I think the 305 was the same frame with a smaller engine. Was a good tractor pulled a 2 bottom plow file fine. The 1720 loader had better power that my L48. The only problems I had were with the hoe. It broke the top link the first time I tried it. They fabricated a new one and it worked fine. The other problem was with the studs holding the two halves of the tractor together. Kept coming loose and finally stripped. If you get a backhoe make sure it has a sub mount.
John

Attachments

• 1-107971-L345.JPG
    1-107971-L345.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 342
   / 345 vs 355ss #7  
L1720 Loader Picture

Attachments

• 1-107972-L1720.JPG
    1-107972-L1720.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 431
   / 345 vs 355ss #8  
<font color=orange> "On these models and on the 305, there is a spot at the top front corner of the engine block where an oil leak can develop. Some do, many don't. It can look like the head gasket is leaking - which may or may not be true."</font color=orange> /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

This problem is very easily fixed - the front dowel pin that locates the head also happens to have the oil supply for the head pumped through it, and there is supposed to be an o-ring around the pin to seal it. This is a special blue colored ring (Kubota part#15221-33700, $1.45) that stands up to the pressure and heat involved - it's easily missed - Kubota has it on a different page of the parts book instead of putting it on the same page with the head gasket. - go figure /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

/ 345 vs 355ss #9  
Yes that is easily fixed - and could be missed. But, in my case, I replaced this fancy soft blue o ring both times I changed the head gasket - but it was not the source of the leak. The leak was at the top front edge of the block where the front engine cover mates to it. The cover is very thin there and the factory gasket can fail (did fail - had a hairline leak for about 1/2" length). Taking the cover off is a big job so I carefully cleaned the area and put some JB Weld in the groove. Engine has been dry on the outside for 3+ years.

/ 345 vs 355ss #10  
I believe you will like the hudralic shuttle on the 355 ss,I looked at one at Walts equipment(ackerman)In Berlin VT
The loader felt much stronger than my 3710,The 345 and 355 are good size machines and can handel a large hoe,Good luck