Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #1  

Pastmmo

Well, one year worth of lurking and ready to start serious research on m7040 vs. m8540.

Approx. 400 acres of timber, only requiring fire lane maintenance twice a year (for now). Mowing / Disc-ing. This takes approx. 50-60 hours per year.
General landscape / upkeep of 16 acre pond to include mowing, "lightweight" clearing of land, removing dead trees, etc.

The fire lane maintenance will push me to a larger tractor, otherwise, an L model would work.

I have stopped by the local dealer numerous times and drooled over the 7040.

I am planning a cab, FEL, grapple (of some type), 3pt hitch mower, and other small implements.

Question for the experts here....(I have searched the forum and can't find a simple answer)

Please explain in layman's terms the difference btwn the synchro vs. hydraulic shuttle transmission. From what i've seen, (glowplug, m7040, and most others) have chosen the hydraulic option. However, every 7040 that my dealer has had on property in the past 6 months has been the synchro.

My understanding is that w/ the hydraulic you can shift forward, reverse, forward, reverse, etc. without using clutch and ir-regardless of tractor movement (i.e. don't have to stop forward movement before shifting to reverse). Is this correct????

-PastMmo

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #2  
Go with hydro.........A good dealer will get you what you want, not what they want to get rid of.
I have been looking since 03...I probably have 5K miles on my car looking........send me a private message.......I have amassed so good info and dealers if are interested.

Good luck

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #3  
The 8540 is a little larger as far as the hitch goes and for dragging logs and three point hitchwork the added heft might help.

As far as they hydro or syncro reverser there is only one way that you normally can use it and that is going from reverse to forward as normally you would use the clutch when loading or stacking for better control.

The difference in the price, ownership for how long, makes the feature normally worth it!

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #4  
This is from the Kubota web site:

"The SynchroShuttle provides easy direction changes, simply clutch, shift and go coming to a complete stop is not necessary. .... the hydraulic shuttle provide clutchless direction changes. The hydraulic shuttle also includes a wet main clutch for long life."

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #5  
art said:
The 8540 is a little larger as far as the hitch goes and for dragging logs and three point hitchwork the added heft might help.

As far as they hydro or syncro reverser there is only one way that you normally can use it and that is going from reverse to forward as normally you would use the clutch when loading or stacking for better control.

The difference in the price, ownership for how long, makes the feature normally worth it!

The 8540 is up to a size where you really need to buy category 2 type implements - I don't remember if the hitch is even adaptable to category 1 pins. That means pricey implements even for basic stuff. But for heavy work that's what you'll need.

When I was pricing the M5040 the cost was $1200 to get the hydraulic shuttle. I think it is absolutely worth it, especially on the larger models. Much more convenient and several times longer clutch life.

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #6  
Z-Michigan said:
The 8540 is up to a size where you really need to buy category 2 type implements - I don't remember if the hitch is even adaptable to category 1 pins. That means pricey implements even for basic stuff.

Just like catagory 1-2-3-4 or O there are ways to adapt them. Many aftermarket attachments are a mixed bag or more then one catagory. For many attachments I normally recommend going one horsepower grouping larger for longevity, another words to buy 100 horsepower attachments for a 80 horsepower tractor. Thru the years I've seen, or heard, I didn't know that rock was so big or that that tree stump was there!

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #7  
For me, HST means extreme precision and safety. You can move forward or back with your max load EXTREMELY SLOWLY and WITHOUT ANY JERKS, and without any risk of a foot slipping off of a clutch.

I have buddies that help me from time to time with various tasks... me in the cab and they are out in front or back viewing and manipulating stuff. The HST allows me to follow their hand directions when I can't see and jointly we can place 2800 lbs chuncks of concrete within 1/16" of exactly where it needs to go... the first try. Nothing bounces, jerks or bumps..... I never thought of this as a feature until I realized that many of the tasks that I'm doing require precision and reliable tractor movement.... I don't think there is any way that I could achieve this with a clutch mechanism.

I love HST and believe that unless you will NEVER do close, tight, precision work requiring slow movements with or without loads, it is a VERY desirable option. It is mandatory for me, now, even at higher price.

Now I remember that once I wrote up what I think about HST... here it is:
-----
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I have to say the hydrostatic transmission allows EXTREME PRECISION of movement, forward and reverse in tenths of an inch if you need it. I love it. It creates a safe environment when working with others close to the tractor. This safety factor never occurred to me until I began to realize how precise it is and how often I have a helper right at the tractor connecting chains, putting things in the FEL, etc.. It’s use with the FEL is superb, I no longer get tired from shifting/clutching with such back and forth activities. Further, when carrying a big load or on a slope or positioning something precisely, the speed control capability is simply fabulous. The HST alone has kept me from turning over IMHO. I originally thought that its speeds were mismatched and that it would not go fast enough. I was comparing to a previous manual shift tractor I had. True, max road speed is about 15mph. However, on the ranch I discover that I am always able to find a good match between engine RPM and HST mph selection. Low and medium range are for loads and speed control. Interesting how letting up on the pedal actually achieves a lower gear/more power as well as slower speed and higher precision. High range is for transport with no/light load on flat ground/minimum slope. The cruse control I use infrequently and for only short periods but is a nice feature allowing me to relax on a long haul.

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #8  
We have 12-15 M-Series in stock at any given time, probably 1/2 to 2/3 of which are hydraulic shuttle models. Not sure where in SC you are, but you are more than welcome to come try them out and see the difference for yourself.
I believe we have an 8540HDC with LA1353 FEL, I will check that in the AM, we also handle Bush Hog brand implements and I have plenty of them in stock. We also have several Precision Mfg add-a-grapples on order including the HD model and we have the Kubota third function valve in stock. Looks like you might need to come see us.;)

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040 #9  
I reread your post and specific question:
"My understanding is that w/ the hydraulic you can shift forward, reverse, forward, reverse, etc. without using clutch and ir-regardless of tractor movement (i.e. don't have to stop forward movement before shifting to reverse). Is this correct????"

YES.

/ Synchro vs. Hydraulic m7040
Thank you, everyone, for the information.

I was able to go to a dealer yesterday with some more "informed" questions and had an expectation about the hydraulic shuttle.

It seems the hydraulic is, by far, the way to go.

York County... I'll be paying you a visit sometime in the next few weeks.

Now, more research about the different class of implements for the 7040 vs. the 8540.

PastMmo