Used Kubota L2900 GST

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST #1  

DennisFolsom

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4600, John Deere X380
My wife and I are going tomorrow to look at a 1998 Kubota L2900 GST 4 x 4, with the LA 480 loader and a Woods XT 160 5 foot bush hog for $12,500. The tractor has 650 hours, was used by an elderly gentleman, and has always been stored inside.

The seller e-mailed some photos to me, and it looks great!

I've been lurking in TBN for quite a while, and it has provided a lot of education. I also did a search on L2900 in this forum and read most of the threads I found there.

I have a 19 acre wooded lot, where I will be cutting my own firewood. I also plan to do snow removal on my 400 foot driveway. I hope to do some trimming up of the ground around the house. I would like to add a backhoe later, but the tractor will nearly flatten the savings at this point. Borrowing money is somewhat against my religion, and definitely against my wife's religion.

Anybody got any thoughts or advice?

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST #2  
That great like a good price - if in sound condition.

I started out at about that size and fell up the ladder a bit - like most here - so I'm inclined to recommend a little larger. But for the money, I think that will work well and its a good grab.

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST #3  
I paid $14,900 1 year ago from a New Hampshire dealer for a "Grand" L2900GST with 480 loader and 250 hours. Good luck with your tractor.
Design

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST #4  
For comparison, have you noticed the '96 L2900DT/LA480 at Union Farm with 1674 hours for $12,490? Sounds as if the one you found is the better deal.

Hope it looks as good as the pictures and that he will help with the price.

Cal

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST
Thanks, guys, for your responses. I have read a couple of threads about design's work on fitting a Woods BH9000 backhoe to his L2900. I'll be watching to see how that turns out.

My CFO (wife) and I had a serious discussion about finances this morning. I have recently retired from the State of Maine. I intend to go back to work for a while to clean up the mortgage, but am currently not doing anything other than working on the house. If I bought the tractor, I would have almost no accessible savings left. It's a tough decision, but I have decided to pass on this one. Therefore, we're not going to go look at it after all.

I'll still be watching the market and, after I get a few more bucks together and/or find a more affordable tractor, I'll try again.

It's a pity. That tractor is an especially nice unit. While $12,000 + seems a lot for a nearly 10 year old tractor, the condition of this one warrants it.

Dennis

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST #6  
Good job keeping you head on straight. There are other fish in the sea...

Oh, ah - I meant tractors - not wives!!

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST
From all reports I hear, trading wives costs a lot more than trading tractors. I've had this wife for almost 38 years. I think I'll keep her.

Dennis

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST #8  
You could really learn to to hate something that took away your financial flexibility, especially as you transition to a different lifestyle. Your reserve is important and needs to be protected. Renting or hiring, while painful and less fun, would get some work done while still protecting most of the reserve - and can be stopped while you re prime the money pump.

As long as you have the money you can always buy and there is always another deal. I say get a little further along in the transition and compare resources with needs.

A financial friend said retirement is like a second childhood, this time without parental supervision - good thing the CFO is still there.

Cal

/ Used Kubota L2900 GST
I've been a bit blue, because I was hyped up to get the tractor, but it was the right decision to wait for now.

I have some drainage ditches that I want to put in, which would also involve removing a few stumps. When we first started to tame this lot, I rented a full-sized backhoe-loader for a weekend. After the snow is gone and the frost is finally out, I think I'll rent for another weekend. That will give me more power for the heavy work, anyway.

Dennis