bang for the buck,, which machine

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #1  

mikeboom

I am a total newbie to the tractor scene and look to the obvious expertise here in this forum for advice. I am looking to buy a machine capable of material handling, road maintenance, and general farm/landscaping duties. I am currently building a house and would like to do as much road finish, tree planting, wood moving, etc as possible. Also, we have here a small farm (30 goats, dairy cow, 3 horses fowl, etc etc ) so manure maintenance is a reality.
I have a sense that the 30hp range is appropriate for what I need to do, but when I look at the choices I get totally confused by the apparent options available,,,, Thoughts?
BTW- I think an HST/GST machine is probably a good idea in my case...
Thanks so much
Mike
Woodstock NY

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #2  
It sounds like for what you are planning on doing a 30hp. HST would do you well.Whatever you decide "JUST ENJOY" the thrill.
Donny

/ bang for the buck,, which machine
no doubt,,I will enjoy getting things done,,,I would love to hear opinions on what model(s) would be best for these tasks
thanks
Mike

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #4  
I think you are on the right track with the 30hp. But for kicks check out pricing on a few units that are a bit higher in HP. Do some comparisons. If your new the HST is the way to go. But one thing to keep in mind, get your self a dealer that will back up the sale. That is very important.

murph

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #5  
Mike, you didn't mention any lawn duty like mowing or a front blower, so I'd recommend a L-3400 if you want a hydro.

How much extra activity do you have from the police excitement in your area?

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #6  
Mike,
I have the B7800 and do all of the above with it.

My neighbor is doing the same with a new house with the BX24 machine. He seems content and does get a lot done. He started with a wooded area, had a small track dozer come in and grub and do the basic excavation for leveling and cuts, now he's cleaning and removing.

I do like the larger frame and the 30HP (relative to the BX24 series). HST is the only way I'd consider spending time on any machine.

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #7  
mikeboom said:
I am a total newbie to the tractor scene and look to the obvious expertise here in this forum for advice. I am looking to buy a machine capable of material handling, road maintenance, and general farm/landscaping duties. I am currently building a house and would like to do as much road finish, tree planting, wood moving, etc as possible. Also, we have here a small farm (30 goats, dairy cow, 3 horses fowl, etc etc ) so manure maintenance is a reality.
I have a sense that the 30hp range is appropriate for what I need to do, but when I look at the choices I get totally confused by the apparent options available,,,, Thoughts?
BTW- I think an HST/GST machine is probably a good idea in my case...
Thanks so much
Mike
Woodstock NY
Mike: are you physically building the house, or having it built; and need the implements to get the job done? How big of a spread do you have in acreage; also would help for the size of tractor for your total needs?

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #8  
Welcome to TBN... I agree with HST...many, many reasons... prime is that it is very controllable. Horsepower is determined by the toughest thing that you are going to be doing... or perhaps the heaviest thing you are needing to lift.
About 50 hp is right for me and my needs. I've discovered that it's extremely important to consider which implements you will need... the tractor is ONLY an engine... what you connect to it is what gets work done.

I'd suggest filling out your personal profile re interests, acres, etc...it really helps us answer questions.

Am looking forward to hearing how your decision process goes:)

/ bang for the buck,, which machine
thank you for the answers so far...
RE: the house building,, I am contracting a builder to take me through the stress skin panel phase of the project ( I am re-erecting an 1840 barn frame that we tagged & dismantled ) and then I am am taking over the project at that point. My contractor has a lull and a crane and lots of experience doing antique frame work,, so after the "big" stuff I'll take over myself.
The proprty I'm on is @17 acres, roughly 7 of which are/will be used for pasture- 4 acres of woods which could use a good cleanup (felled trees/log piles from the previous owner)
In terms of ground work,,I could see brush cutting certain areas, a blower would be nice on the 1300+ feet of driveway,,,
In what significant ways are do the "B" range machines differ from the "L" series?...are the L's frames more substantial? different basic platform?-I really want to make sure I get something big enough, but of course want to be intelligently frugal..
Oh,, and the Woodstock PD is great,,former Sgt. passed us on footing forms yesterday!
thanks all
Mike

/ bang for the buck,, which machine #10  
Mike in my opinion I would look at the “L” series tractors for what you have planned. Your building project is what caught my attention. I think a larger frame tractor with greater loader capacities and lift height will come into play as you move materials around. You would not regret getting a loader with the ability to switch from bucket to forks. I would also look for something that has 30 PTO horsepower or better which will get you into a bushog type mower wider than the tractor.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have some interesting projects going and we love photo’s here on TBN.

MarkV