BX upgrade??

/ BX upgrade?? #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
Question for BX22,23, and 24 owners. Do the improvements; Quarter inching, hydraulic power, alternator, 3pt hitch lift, etc. in the BX24 make it a worthy upgrade to a BX22? It does look like the BX24 gives up a little bit of ground clearance under the hitch plate to the BX22. My BX22 with the bar tires has 7 1/2" of clearance there, or the same as a couple of ATV's that I looked at. Larger tractors are really nice, and I would like to have both of course, but the BX can do what I need done. I am in the process of ordering some implements, BX42 chipper, back blade, tiller, etc. and really need to decide about this upgrade before I go cutting pto shafts.
Thanks for your help......

/ BX upgrade?? #2  
I would say if the BX22 you already have is treating you right, stick with it. The new models do have better 3pt lift height, however there have been a number of post on TBN about modifying the lift linkage on your 22 that would improve the lift height and not cost you a dime.

If money is not an object, than a new machine is always fun to have.:D However, if your wallet does not bread $100 bills, then sticking with your bx22 would give you more $ for implements.

/ BX upgrade?? #3  
I wouldn't spend much time considering it. Only if you were making a step up to a B or something bigger. Sure there are incremental improvements, but I'd be hard-pressed to say any of them are so earth-shattering that you must have them to have any more fun that you're already having...

And even if I downsize to a townhome with a 15 x 15 plot in the back yard: I'd figure out a way to keep my BX.

/ BX upgrade??
There is something about the old BX22 that makes it hard to part with. I was just out moving some rocks with it, and think it would be pretty hard to part with for something more shiny. I was using my new Wallenstein thumb by the way, and found it pretty handy. Now for some forks.......

/ BX upgrade??
Thanks for the reinforcement guys, it's easy to have some second thoughts at the last moment.......

/ BX upgrade?? #6  
ChuckinNH said:
Question for BX22,23, and 24 owners. Do the improvements; Quarter inching, hydraulic power, alternator, 3pt hitch lift, etc. in the BX24 make it a worthy upgrade to a BX22? ...

The BX22, BX23 and BX24 are all great little machines; you can't really go wrong with any one of them. Permanently mounting the FEL valve on the BX23 was a smart move by Kubota. I have not had the BX24 very long, and only time will tell if Kubota's increased use of plastics to reduce the cost of this unit was a good move or not.

/ BX upgrade?? #7  
I have a BX23 with 190 hrs on acres. I miss position control and higher ground clearance. I do not use my backhoe much. I have thought about upgrading to the JD2720. This tractor has more ground clearance, more HP, and position control. I am disappointed in brushcutting with the bx23 as it mostly smashes the high weeds down due to low clearance. The rotary cutter the does not cut as well compared to my previous b2410. The pedal on the tractor sticks somewhat and the ride is not as nice as the B2410.

Based on this I would not change to a BX24 but would get a bigger tractor. The JD2720 seems to be the right size for my use and I plan to check out one soon. With your plot size you mat want to move up in size.

/ BX upgrade?? #8  
Nik said:
I have a BX23....I am disappointed in brushcutting...

Hmmm, Interesting. What size is the rough cutter? I have a BX2200 with a 40" GearMore Heavy Duty Rough Cutter. It is the only HD that I know of that's so small. It cuts most everything, even 2" sapplings in clusters. The only thing that slows it is a very thick broomgrass bush. I wonder whether it's the physical nature of the grass itself that's involved with the weeds windrowing and not getting cut. How low do you run your RC at the 3ph? I set mine low enough that the side runners almost glide over the ground and the blades suck up most stuff, though I do have some patches of naturalized oats that windrow a little and then need an extra pass from the opposite direction or perpendicular direction. I think it's the nature of the grass. I don't know whether a taller tractor would make a difference or not; I'm thinking the windrowing comes from the tires rather than the underbelly. Have you thought about renting or borrowing a larger tractor from a neighbor to test it out before committing the $$? Would be a shame to spend multiple $k more on an upgrade and still have the same situation. Just my $.02 worth.

/ BX upgrade?? #9  
Tom,
I use a WOODS RC 42". This is designed for the BX series tractor. Previously I have used a JD4310 with 5' cutter and B2410 with a 4' WOODS RC with excellent results. Maybe I should try cutting the grass before it is over 1 foot high or try raising my rotary cutter mowing height. The other tractors had no problem with 3 to 4' grass/weeds.

/ BX upgrade?? #10  
Nik said:
The other tractors had no problem with 3 to 4' grass/weeds.

This is still perplexing. I have a low spot on my property which is adjacent to a highly irrigated pasture. The ground stays saturated, yet there's no standing water on top of it. I don't know what kind of weeds they are, but I've measured some at almost 9' in this hyperirrigated spot. My BX2200 with the 40" GearMore HD R.C. doesn't even loose any RPMs when I take it through that stuff, sapplings either. Only the broomgrass lugs it down some so that I have to creep across it to avoid a stall. I think it may have to do with the mass of the blades on this GearMore. They are very massive (though short) and the tremendous inertia just obliterates everything. I think most of the other smaller rough cutters are medium duty and light duty, and though they have spindle pan (stump jumper) blades, I am under the impression that these units have blades that are not as massive (thick, wide, and heavy) as those on models designated as heavy duty. Thus their inertia is absorbed more easily and they stall. This sucker has so much inertia that it just blasts through anything in its way. Fact is, there's no semblence of a sharp edge on the blades at all. The sheer weight and speed just breaks everything to pieces.

I'm guessing that your 4' and 5' models were heavy duty, but that this 40" model is med. or light duty, having blades that are not only shorter, but thinner in the other two directions as well, which gives the blades low enough inertia that they are overcome by the resistance of the brush. Could this be the case??