G1900 Problems Starting

/ G1900 Problems Starting #1  

dirtbiker

Hello,
New to the group and first time posting. After lots of research, I just bought myself a used G1900 (with only 50 hours on it). It's a 4WS with a 60" deck. I cut my 1.5 acres with it first time last night and what a treat!

The problem that I'm having is with initial start. With the brake pedal depressed and key in the glow position, I wait until the glow indicator goes out and then go to engage the starter...nothing! The guy that I bought it from says that I'm not holding the key deep enough into the glow position, but I don't think that's the case. After 10-15 attempts, bingo it fires right up. Just to be sure that I'm explaining myself correctly, the attempted starts result in nothing (no starter engagement); however when it cranks it fires off immediately.

What I did notice is that when it WILL start, I hear a click like a relay closing. Has anyone experienced this issue or have some ideas of things to check first? Many thanks in advance!

Jim

/ G1900 Problems Starting #2  
Sounds to me like low battery voltage, either low battery or loose or dirty connections. After you use the glow plugs, seems that after it sets a little the battery rebounds enough to crank, if I read your post right.

/ G1900 Problems Starting #3  
I always start with clean terminals first, it doesn't cost much to scrub them up with a little sand paper if nothing else is available.

The second step is to hold the key on and then keep repressing the brake petal to see if that switch is working as well as the pto until it might crank.

/ G1900 Problems Starting #4  
The general theory is that the starter should always try to start even without using the glow plugs. The glow plugs make it easier to fire but should not effect the actual starting motor.

When you switch to start, a relay on the starter should operate and switch the battery to the motor windings and the motor should start to spin.

Get a meter and check that the starter solenoid (relay) is getting 12 volts on the switched terminal (the lighter gauge wire) when you try to start. If no 12v, you can get a wire straight from the battery to the terminal to check if the motor starts. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS!! BEST DONE WITH ONE PERSON ON SEAT WITH CLUTCH AND BRAKE PRESSED!!:eek: If motor turns over, wiring confirmed faulty.

If there is 12v on the terminal then you probably have a solenoid/starter problem.

If there is no clicking when you try to start, it suggests that the solenoid is either not getting 12v or is not operating. Check that the contacts on the terminal are clean.

If low voltage (<12v) on the terminal then check the battery.

Cityfarma

/ G1900 Problems Starting
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Battery voltage is not the problem. Something is preventing the proper signal from reaching the pull-in winding on the starter solenoid. I do have one clue: If I move the hydrostat pedal around a bit before attempting to start, it fires right off. Is there some sort of a safety or interlock on the hydrostat? Does anyone know if that's been a problem or not on this model?

Thanks Again!
Jim

/ G1900 Problems Starting #6  
I would guess that there is an interlock to prevent the engine starting with the pedal pressed. That would be the equivalent of starting in gear. Check if there is a switch actuated by the pedal.

Cityfarma

/ G1900 Problems Starting #7  
Did you ever get this problem resolved? Did I just buy your tractor? I'm having the same type of problem on my G1900S. Sometimes it starts fine, other times, the dash lights won't even come on. Jiggling the wires under the steering wheel can get the lights to come on, but doesn't start it. Can't figure out what triggers the starting sometimes.

/ G1900 Problems Starting #8  
My buddy and I started troubleshooting last night and we came across a wire that had broken free from the harness plug. We will be performing surgery as soon as possible. Hopefully, this will resolve the starting issues.

/ G1900 Problems Starting #9  
A broken wire will do it every time :D

Keep us posted on your fix, it'll no doubt help others on down the line.
Don't see why the G series can't be benefitial here anyways :D

Good luck on the impending surgury....

/ G1900 Problems Starting #10  
Ok, the broken wire got the dash lights to come on, but it still wouldn't start up. We started troubleshooting all the safety switches. Found that the brake pedal switch seemed to be a little flaky. Turns out when the brake is on, the button is out on the switch. If you move the button in just a little bit, it will start right up. Will try to find a new switch, but at least I can get it started without any problems now.

Whew hoo! :D