Kubota GR2100 transaxle failure

/ Kubota GR2100 transaxle failure #1  

davepage

Tractor
Kubota GR2100 4WD Turf Mower
I discovered metal shavings in my transaxle fluid at 367 hrs. exactly 2 years and 15 days after I bought it. Since the warranty was expired I just crossed my fingers and kept mowing to finish out the season. Finally got around to tearing the trany down this winter and found that a clutch shaft bearing had disintegrated. To the machines credit, it kept operating as if nothing had happened. But I knew it had to be fixed. I ordered all necessary new parts[$1,900] and hired a UC Davis combustion engineer to help me put it together[$1,000]. We put it together, filled it with hydro fluid and when we came back the next day, all the fluid was on the ground. Very disheartening. Tore it down and found a hairline fracture in the rear cast aluminum case. Took it to the dealer that supplied the part and they got me another one. Put it back in and the same thing happened in the same place. I finally got the bright idea the do an online search about this problem. It appears I'm not the only one whose had this trouble with this trany. I bought the machine new 5/26/05, serial #12272. Does anyone know anything that could help me?

/ Kubota GR2100 transaxle failure #2  
had you posted right after it failed, you would have probably gotten a new tranny at no or little cost... many people have. Ask your dealer to work some magic on it. I think we've all been though this with the old GR trannys. $2900 is a huge chunk of money to do it on your own, why didn't you take it to the dealer? Given what you've done you may have dug your own grave on this one.

/ Kubota GR2100 transaxle failure
Yes, I know. The problem was first discovered by a then Kubota authorized service facility, Island Saw and Rental. The technician said he would make a note of his findings on the service receipt but the warranty was expired and I had no recourse.
I realize now that I would have been much better off taking it to a dealer. That involves an hour and a half ferry ride both ways. Basically, getting the machine to the dealer is an all day affair then you gotta go back when it's ready. I'll know better next time.

/ Kubota GR2100 transaxle failure #4  
I discovered metal shavings in my transaxle fluid at 367 hrs. exactly 2 years and 15 days after I bought it. Since the warranty was expired I just crossed my fingers and kept mowing to finish out the season. Finally got around to tearing the trany down this winter and found that a clutch shaft bearing had disintegrated. To the machines credit, it kept operating as if nothing had happened. But I knew it had to be fixed. I ordered all necessary new parts[$1,900] and hired a UC Davis combustion engineer to help me put it together[$1,000]. We put it together, filled it with hydro fluid and when we came back the next day, all the fluid was on the ground. Very disheartening. Tore it down and found a hairline fracture in the rear cast aluminum case. Took it to the dealer that supplied the part and they got me another one. Put it back in and the same thing happened in the same place. I finally got the bright idea the do an online search about this problem. It appears I'm not the only one whose had this trouble with this trany. I bought the machine new 5/26/05, serial #12272. Does anyone know anything that could help me?
Many many of these tractors trannys were duds.