T1760 weird HST problem

/ T1760 weird HST problem #1  

mowin'it

Tractor
Kubota T1760
Hi,

I am a recent T1760 owner. My unit (s/h) has 1560 hrs on it, and has developed a problem with the HST. When going forwards, there is a louder than normal whining, and the torque developed is very low, to the point that even a mild slope is too much for it. In reverse, the whining is more normal, and there is plenty of torque. I changed the oil in the HST, but it made no difference. I did notice that I only got about a litre out of the HST, even though the reservoir was above the "Full Cold" mark (the owners manual states 2.4 litres).

Any ideas why it works fine in reverse, but not going forwards? And what about the oil - is the owner's manual wrong?

/ T1760 weird HST problem #2  
Welcome to TBN:thumbsup:

Am unfamiliar with that particular tractor. However, for my tractor, in high range if on a hill or pulling a load will not negotiate well, makes unusual noise and RPM's do not stay up. However, if I drop to low or medium range, problem easily goes away.

You don't say what range you are in or if in 4wd, etc... there are times when in higher ranges or 4wd or pulling heavy load that things bog down...this is kinda like a gasoline lugging down if you try to start out in a high gear...it's normal....just need to drop down to lower gearing.

If you ARE in low gear range and running 2000 rpm or so and your problem is happening, then something else is going on.

/ T1760 weird HST problem
Hi TexasJohn - thanks for your reply. The T1760 is a lawn tractor with a RCK44LT17 mower deck (17HP V-twin Kawasaki eng). No gears or 4wd, just an HST pedal for fwd/rev. Definitely something going on in the HST, but I dunno if it needs rebuild, repair or adjustment - was hoping another T1760 owner had already had/solved this issue ...

/ T1760 weird HST problem #4  
Like I said...don't know that particular model...hope someone with more specific knowledge will be able to offer helpful ideas!

/ T1760 weird HST problem #5  
Hi,

I am a recent T1760 owner. My unit (s/h) has 1560 hrs on it, and has developed a problem with the HST. When going forwards, there is a louder than normal whining, and the torque developed is very low, to the point that even a mild slope is too much for it. In reverse, the whining is more normal, and there is plenty of torque. I changed the oil in the HST, but it made no difference. I did notice that I only got about a litre out of the HST, even though the reservoir was above the "Full Cold" mark (the owners manual states 2.4 litres).

Any ideas why it works fine in reverse, but not going forwards? And what about the oil - is the owner's manual wrong?

I know this guy with a new tractor that left his parking brake on and pretty much had the exact same symptoms. Doh!! :confused2: Luckily he woke up. That's just me though - I mean this other guy. :eek: Certainly not saying that's your circumstances, just relating an experience. :)

/ T1760 weird HST problem #6  
I have a t1700, and I had the same symptoms last summer. I was hauling a load of logs in a trailer, when it started acting up going up a hill. I had to unhitch the trailer to get back to my shop. After some investigating, it turned out the drive belt to the HST unit had slipped off the tensioner and would let the belt slip with a lot of belt whine. Don't know if this is your problem, but I was sure the HST was in big trouble, until I fixed the Idler pulley.

/ T1760 weird HST problem #7  
I have read your problem with the T1760 HST and I have the exact same symptoms as you had on your post. Did you or did you not find the problem with yours? Would you please let me know either way.

Thanks

/ T1760 weird HST problem #8  
I have read your problem with the T1760 HST and I have the exact same symptoms as you had on your post. Did you or did you not find the problem with yours? Would you please let me know either way.

Thanks

I just found out that the hst is not worth fixing. That is what the service tec. told me (approx. $2500.] A new one is $3200. A valve inside has worn a groove in a plate disc & all the metal fillings are through the hst. Too much to replace.

/ T1760 weird HST problem #9  
I know this guy with a new tractor that left his parking brake on and pretty much had the exact same symptoms. Doh!! :confused2: Luckily he woke up. That's just me though - I mean this other guy. :eek: Certainly not saying that's your circumstances, just relating an experience. :)

Your problems are EXACTLY!!!!!! the same as what has happened to my T1760 (450 hours). I had the Kubota dealer service dismantle and inspect the HST. The HST is toast. Look for a new one.

/ T1760 weird HST problem #10  
+1
A Kubota dealer told me myt HST was toast, insisting I needed a new mower all together.
My mechanic friend found the same problem you noted below!
Always get a 2nd opinion, preferrably from someone with no profit motive.

... After some investigating, it turned out the drive belt to the HST unit had slipped off the tensioner and would let the belt slip with a lot of belt whine. Don't know if this is your problem, but I was sure the HST was in big trouble, until I fixed the Idler pulley.