ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks?

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #21  
Hi Group,

Getting a ZD331 and I want to get your thoughts on the rear discharge deck 60" model over the 60" side discharge deck models?

I was not aware that a rear discharge deck was optionally available for any of the ZD lineup. All units are specified as having right hand discharges (or the optional mulching baffles with of course, no discharge).

I have a 331 with the 72" deck to which the mulching baffles have been added. Best mowing setup I've ever run. Super tall, extra thick, wet grass will slow you down a bit but the finish is almost unbelievable. I can't imagine a thing that would make me want to take the mulcher kit off and I'm on the Gulf coast where you can almost hear the grass grow!

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #22  
My 2 cents: I agree with Art. I live in central New York and currently own a ZD326P with a 60" side discharge deck, one F3680 w/ 72" side discharge deck, and one F3680 with 60" rear discharge deck. The cut quality of the 60" rear discharge deck "sucks". It leaves two distinct windrows between the blades.

I am in the process of trying to find a fix. I purchased the mulch kit with the mulching bladers at a cost of $310.00. Solved the windrowing problem, however, it now takes me 3 times as long to cut the grass.

I just purchased some gator blades and will be trying these blades. If all else fails. I am going to modify my mulch kit baffles to create a "v" style wedge between the blades in hopes this will stop the windrowing.

I do not cut the lawn very long. Probably only cutting about 2" of grass. If any of you smart guys know of any fixes please let me know. It is driving me nuts.

Also, all the equipment was purchased from Art's White's Farm Supply. Great people. Art: do you know if they are doing something different with the ZD series rear discharge deck's? Have you heard any feedback about the cut quality? Do you think they are better than the F series decks?

Thanks...Jon.

They are continually working on improvements but when they might be released to us is another thing. They are very conservative and do a lot of testing before releasing any new models.

For the brands we do sell and those fine trade-ins I take home it is hard to beat the quality of cut on the Kubota decks!

I believe that the decks are mostly common as far as design to the width depending on the linkage to hook up.

For those that have tried the gator blades we have had mixed reviews over the job. One thing is for sure the quality of steel in the Kubota blades has allowed the commercial users to extend intervals between blade sharpening. Although for some people that doesn't seem to matter as much as to others.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #23  
I still want to know how Kubota does the rear discharge. Hustler's rear discharge mowers have one side blade turning opposite direction than the other two blade. This stops the wind row common with most rear discharge finish mowers including my woods RD72 when in very high grass. Demoed a rear discharge Hustler and the reverse blade works. Tried it in a field along side the Woods RD72. My question is how does Kubota handle the rear discharge deck? Like hustler? How?

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #24  
I believe and I may be wrong but I still believe the people that don't see the value of the rear discharge deck have actually never owned one for their own personal use.

or those of us who have sold them for years and taken more than one back because of poor performance. Not that they are bad, but I'd say the side discharge is better in a wider range of conditions.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #25  
Rec'd my F3080 today with the 72" rear discharge deck. Tried it and have no issues or problems with it. Cuts perfect with no windrows or uncut stands of grass the same as my 60" rear discharge deck on my F2680E that I have had for going on the 3rd mowing season. Also never experienced the problems mentioned with the 6' Landpride rear finish mower.
I'm only speaking from my actual experience as an owner that has had 3 rear discharge decks. For combined usage of about 5 to 6 years at two different property locations. I know they cost a bit more but to me they are worth the extra, obviously since I keep buying them.
Guess Barlows (Local Kubota dealer) mowing deck set up man did all of mine right.:) I know there are some posts concerning adjusting the decks and messing up the adjustments.
I have pictures posted of a bit of mowing done today on the Kubota owning forum.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #26  
I'm bumping this thread to see if there are any more opinions on rear discharge...
I'm looking at the ZD326 60" deck and the dealer has a rear discharge on the lot that he's wanting to deal on, but I'm not certain of advantage/disadvantage. I have 20 or so 40+ year old live oaks (think of a grove) in my yard that require an effort to mow around and miss roots. Dealer is more than willing to let me demo the unit, I'm just intersted in what the tractorbynet brain trust has to say.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #27  
Can a mulch kit be added to a rear discharge? Just wondering. I've got a mulch kit on my 72" side D/C ZD331. No clippings to speak of. Doesn't matter if you side or rear discharge mulch.

If mulch kit can be used on rear discharge, I'd get whichever is cheaper (side or rear) and add mulch kit. :)

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #28  
I'm bumping this thread to see if there are any more opinions on rear discharge...
I'm looking at the ZD326 60" deck and the dealer has a rear discharge on the lot that he's wanting to deal on, but I'm not certain of advantage/disadvantage. I have 20 or so 40+ year old live oaks (think of a grove) in my yard that require an effort to mow around and miss roots. Dealer is more than willing to let me demo the unit, I'm just intersted in what the tractorbynet brain trust has to say.

:thumbsup:
This is the exact unit I own. It works terrific for keeping clippings out of the flower beds. That was the primary reason I purchased a rear discharge, and I'm impressed with the results of my ZD326 w/60" deck. The edge of the deck is very sturdy so no damage when I cut in a bit to close and it "rubs":ashamed: against a wall, fence or tree.

Clippings lay even, no windrow effect. Another thing I've found is the under-deck is much cleaner. Much less grass buildup. Most likely due to the openness of the discharge area. Much less crud to clean from under the deck. I enjoy cutting the grass because of this mower.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #29  
I'd prefer rear over the side chute. No mess on the walkway, driveway, flowerbeds, etc...

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #30  
:thumbsup:
This is the exact unit I own. ...
Clippings lay even, no windrow effect.

Can a mulch kit be added to a rear discharge? Just wondering. I've got a mulch kit on my 72" side D/C ZD331. No clippings to speak of. Doesn't matter if you side or rear discharge mulch.

If mulch kit can be used on rear discharge, I'd get whichever is cheaper (side or rear) and add mulch kit. :)

Thanks for the replies guys, I bought the house in June last year and was thinking I was going this route, my neighbor has a ZD28 that is a beast! I've borrowed it about 3 times and it blows me away with the time savings... After the tax man is done with me I do believe I'll be calling up the dealer!

JHT- small world chief! I'm practically in your neighborhood!:cool: