ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks?

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #1  

Hektor

Hi Group,

Getting a ZD331 and I want to get your thoughts on the rear discharge deck 60" model over the 60" side discharge deck models?

Also, your thought how it is on hills?

Thanks.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #2  
the only good reason to use rear discharge is to keep from throwing stones. Thats really it. Side discharge is much better.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #3  
i thought they were only available with side discharge -- :D

i would think you want the side -- it spreads the grass out much more evenly / feathered --

-- out the back would seem like little trails of gras -- :confused2:

i have side.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #4  
The rear discharge is a good unit for trimming on both sides. Grass distribution could be a problem if it is let go to long.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #5  
I prefer the rear discharge. Can cut close on either side and mine do not do the windrows, it just lays the grass spread out over the cut area. I've got an F with rear discharge and just ordered another with rear discharge and had a 6' Landpride rear discharge. For me there is no choice, rear discharge.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #6  
Interesting..I have a Woods RD72 rear discharge finish mower for my MF1040. On tall grass it will leave a bit of a stripe on one side...as I understand it this is common on rear discharge mowers. On regular grass, it is not a problem whatsoever. The Hustler rear discharge Z-turn mowers solve that problem by having one of the blades on the side turn in opposite direction...this eliminates the stripe problem; I have demoed one of these mowers in a field with my RD72 and the opposite turning blade does work...eliminates the striping. I wonder if Kubota fixes the problem the same way. I just got a new to me ZD21 60" deck and am loving this beast of a mower...much better than my old Woods Z-turn 6180 52" deck.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #7  
I have run 60" hustlers in both rear and side discharge. With the rear discharge you never load up the cut grass, by that I mean it doesn't matter what side you blow your cut grass. You never blow your cut grass over top of your next pass. You can mow in any direction you want and trim on either side. You stop worrying as much about throwing objects into the street and less blowing work to get all of your clippings off the sidewalks.

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #8  
the only good reason to use rear discharge is to keep from throwing stones. Thats really it. Side discharge is much better.

i thought they were only available with side discharge -- :D

i would think you want the side -- it spreads the grass out much more evenly / feathered --

-- out the back would seem like little trails of gras -- :confused2:

i have side.

The rear discharge is a good unit for trimming on both sides. Grass distribution could be a problem if it is let go to long.

I mowed my yard yesterday with my F2680 with 60" Rear discharge deck. I had been gone and grass had gotten pretty high. Here is the way it looks with rear discharge after one pass. As high and thick as it was there would have been rowed up piles with a side discharge.

Attachments

• IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,578
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,154
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,298
   / ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #9  
I've heard that for a zero turn, you should always get a side discharge so that the dust and debris will not be ingested by the motor. It can clog a filter quickly if you get into a dusty area. If you want rear discharge, get a 3pt behind a tractor. My .02 $

/ ZD331 Zero turn mower - side or rear discharge decks? #10  
I've heard that for a zero turn, you should always get a side discharge so that the dust and debris will not be ingested by the motor. It can clog a filter quickly if you get into a dusty area. If you want rear discharge, get a 3pt behind a tractor. My .02 $
If you get into a dusty area the effect would be more dependant on the wind direction. If no wind, then the rear discharge on a ZD should be better since it is blowing everything behind the mower and away. If the wind is blowing, then mow into the wind with rear discharge and mow cross ways with discharge being on the down wind side with a side discharge. If you want a rear discharge, get it on what ever mower/tractor you want it to go on. Don't see anyone ever having a rear discharge going back to a side discharge sort of like someone ever having an HST going to a geared tractor and being as satisfied.:)