Kubota - engine problem

/ Kubota - engine problem #1  

arch

I have a Hustler mower with 3-cyl kubota D950 on it. Oil comes out of the vent tube and exhaust pipe, lots of it. Also get white smoke out of the exhaust. Hard to start. Seems like it is not getting good compression. It doesn't seem to be loosing coolant. Any help with troubleshooting it will be greatly appreciated.

/ Kubota - engine problem #3  
Those little monsters have double oil pans and two oil level checks as most of the smaller engines do I believe.

When the engine is shut down it will create a vacuum in the upper pan which creates a false oil level and creating the appearance of a low oil level. the small kubotas allow you to add oil in the top of the valve tgrain which will give you the true oil level from what I remember of the old ones as well.

There was an oil level thread discussion in the owning operating forum a few weeks ago and it was very beneficial for members to read about the smaller engines which are designed to be used at high angles of incline in rice paddy terraces access paths. the upper and lower oil pans prevent oil starvation in any circumstance going up or down steep inclines.

When the engine is cold pull out the dip stick and let the air enter the engine through the tube to allow the oil level to equalise over a couple of hours and you will have the true oil level at the upper oil pan which has no effect on the lower oil pan.

Be sure to check the crancase breather tube to be sure it is not plugged with dead mice etc. as you should have no oil coming out the exhaust period or out a filler tube.

/ Kubota - engine problem #4  
Those little monsters have double oil pans and two oil level checks as most of the smaller engines do.

When the engine is shut down it will create a vacuum in the upper pan which creates a false oil level and creating the appearance of a low oil level.

When the engine is cold pull out the dip stick and let the air enter the engine through the tube to allow the oil level to equalise and you will have the true oil level.

Be sure to check the crancase breather tube to be sure it is not plugged with dead mice etc. as you should have no oil coming out the exhaust period.

Really? I have had 3 Kubota engines B7500 21hp & L2800 28hp tractors & a 22hp Grasshopper ZTR, I have checked the oil cold & warm and it always shows the same level, I know on a C15 Cat engine you have to wait 10 - 15 min before you check oil level but not had that problem on any of the little kubotas or my mitsubishi.

/ Kubota - engine problem #5  
The process of elimination leads one to
a mouse or rat in the crankcase breather tube.

leonz

Last edited:
   / Kubota - engine problem #6  
Does the oil have a diesel fuel smell to it?

/ Kubota - engine problem #7  
I have a Hustler mower with 3-cyl kubota D950 on it. Oil comes out of the vent tube and exhaust pipe, lots of it. Also get white smoke out of the exhaust. Hard to start. Seems like it is not getting good compression. It doesn't seem to be loosing coolant. Any help with troubleshooting it will be greatly appreciated.

Uh oh!!!