Kubota Diesel G1900 won't shut off

/ Kubota Diesel G1900 won't shut off #1  

joa4444

My Kubota diesel lawn tractor sometimes won't shut off. Does anyone know if repacing the engine stop solenoid would solve the problem? Can it be done easily by a novice? Thanks for any help you can give.

/ Kubota Diesel G1900 won't shut off #2  
If its a case of sometimes it does shut off and sometime it does not shut off it would lead me to think it is loose ground wire. I would check to see if the battery is fully charged/tested etc., as a diesel does not require electricity to keep it running.

A soleniod goes weak, bad and stays bad /shorted out. A shut down soleniod is normally closed/energised with voltage to create the elelctrical field to hold the solenid open to allow the engine to start.:thumbsup:

/ Kubota Diesel G1900 won't shut off #3  
If its a case of sometimes it does shut off and sometime it does not shut off it would lead me to think it is loose ground wire. I would check to see if the battery is fully charged/tested etc., as a diesel does not require electricity to keep it running.

A soleniod goes weak, bad and stays bad /shorted out. A shut down soleniod is normally closed/energised with voltage to create the elelctrical field to hold the solenid open to allow the engine to start.:thumbsup:

Leon, on the G1900, the Engine Stop Solenoid does not work as you described. What happens is that the ignition key being turned to OFF sends a signal to the Combination Box. With this signal the combination box then sends 12 volts to the Engine Stop Solenoid for 8 seconds. The solenoid energizes and moves the fuel injection pump rack to the "No Fuel Position" so that the engine then stops. After 8 seconds, the solenoid is de-energized and the rack returns to its normal position, ready for the next time the engine is started.

This is quite different from normal fuel cutoff solenoid operation on other diesels. To test the solenoid, I would jumper 12 vdc to it to see if it operates. I would then monitor the voltage coming to it from the combination box and turn the key to off to see if the 8 second signal was being sent properly by the combination box relays. If joa4444 does this, he will know if he needs a solenoid or a combination box. Many people just hook up a mechanical link to the rack with a pull knob so they can kill the engine without all this complicated timing. My G1800 is that way and all I do is turn off the key and pull the knob to kill the engine. Works great!

/ Kubota Diesel G1900 won't shut off #4  
Leon, on the G1900, the Engine Stop Solenoid does not work as you described. What happens is that the ignition key being turned to OFF sends a signal to the Combination Box. With this signal the combination box then sends 12 volts to the Engine Stop Solenoid for 8 seconds. The solenoid energizes and moves the fuel injection pump rack to the "No Fuel Position" so that the engine then stops. After 8 seconds, the solenoid is de-energized and the rack returns to its normal position, ready for the next time the engine is started.

This is quite different from normal fuel cutoff solenoid operation on other diesels. To test the solenoid, I would jumper 12 vdc to it to see if it operates. I would then monitor the voltage coming to it from the combination box and turn the key to off to see if the 8 second signal was being sent properly by the combination box relays. If joa4444 does this, he will know if he needs a solenoid or a combination box. Many people just hook up a mechanical link to the rack with a pull knob so they can kill the engine without all this complicated timing. My G1800 is that way and all I do is turn off the key and pull the knob to kill the engine. Works great!

Its funny as the old kubota tractors(1970's) had the both linkage and a starter switchs, seems foolhardy to add all the wiz bang crap and walk away from the simple shut down linkage to the rack unless there was no easy routing, but these engines were identical to these motors and its probably due to the tier two and tier three emmisions standards to get away from having a catalytic converter which we had as we operated underground.

Our mining scoops had Duetz engines with linkage rods to the injection pump to shut it off after turning off the power switch they changed later to air operated solenoids for fuel shut down on these indirect injection engines-they are beautiful simple engines to work on.

leonz