gr2100 PTO/transmission issue

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #1  

jmsmbry

Well my gr2100 has a problem with the PTO/transmission. Had a grinding sound whenever mower was engaged. Dealer says the PTO shaft is whobbling and could have possibly damaged the transmission. I know about the warranty extension; however, mine has 450 hours which under the 500 but I am over on the 4 years by 2 months. He indicated Kubota may be willing to "work" with me on this but I am not counting on it. Has anyone had this happen and did Kubota help you? If not, what did it cost you to get it fixed?

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #2  
Well my gr2100 has a problem with the PTO/transmission. Had a grinding sound whenever mower was engaged. Dealer says the PTO shaft is whobbling and could have possibly damaged the transmission. I know about the warranty extension; however, mine has 450 hours which under the 500 but I am over on the 4 years by 2 months. He indicated Kubota may be willing to "work" with me on this but I am not counting on it. Has anyone had this happen and did Kubota help you? If not, what did it cost you to get it fixed?

Sorry bout your tractor.If you are the original owner,press them hard to fix it under warranty.Kubota was aware of the problems on the early models and should have recalled every last one of them.Be nice,but be persistent.

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #3  
Hello jmsmbry. two days ago I experienced the same problem you are having plus losing a cup of trans. fluid every 15 minuets, from around the PTO housing. Because of the Memorial Day weekend I won't be able to contact the dealer till Tues. I think I'm in a little better position because my purchase date is 3-31-07 and I have 241 hours on mine, BUT, I had mine in a month ago because of trans. fluid comming out of the vent, and the dealer told me that all 17 of the GR2100's he has sold, are or have had trans. problems, and that KUBOTA is in denial. Soo we'll see what shakes out of this, I'll keep you posted on my dealer-KUBOTA experience.

Kirk(riverwatcher)

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue
riverwatcher...........thanks for your reply and I will also keep you posted on my situation. You should be in good shape warranty wise. A tractor that cost as much as the gr2100 should not be having this problem this early. It is apparent they had a design flaw and have admitted to it by extending the warranty. They should have issued a recall and replaced them all with the new transmission. Customer staisfaction does not seem to matter this days!

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #5  
Well, TOYOTA is a prime example.

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #6  
Mine only had 120 hours on it when they put the rebuild kit in the transmission. I had to keep after them and it was only have it had been in about a half dozen times that they agreed to do it. That was done at no cost to me. Then the glide steer cables broke. They have redesigned them and the way that they attach which tells me that like the transmission, they knew they had a design flaw. I didn't get so lucky on those...they agreed to supply the new cables, but I had to pay the dealer for the labor to install them. Since that time, all seems to be working well...except that as I have complained about from the beginning, the transmission is weak at best. Good luck....like Locknut suggest....stay on 'em....you'll probably get results. Good luck!

So there us a rebuild kit? I assume this brings the transmission up to the new style transmission that are currently being used in the GR2110? Is the current/new transmission any better? It is just amazing to me that the GR2100 has such a heavy duty frame, great diesel motor, heavy duty mower deck, etc. and such a weak transmission! What a great lawn tractor it would be with a heavy duty transmission!

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #8  
I do not know for a fact if it brings it up to the tranny in the 2110. I suspect that they are pretty much the same. The major problem with the tranny's in the eariler 2100's is that they used bushings on the rear axles instead of bearings. Pretty stupid in a tractor that cost 8K, in my opinion. The rebuild kit replaces those bushings with bearings....like it should have had in the first place. I think there were some minor additional changes, but the bearings were the main thing. Mine no longer leaks, but it is still a weak tranny in terms of getting the power to the ground. Good luck with yours!

Good News!!!!! Just got a call from my dealer and Kubota is sending them a complete new transmission to put in my tractor which will be the new design. It will still cost me the labor to replace the old with the new but that will only be in the neighborhood of $350......a far cry from what it could have been. Even though I was technically out of the extended warranty by 2 months, Kubota came through as they should have since the original transmission had problems.

/ gr2100 PTO/transmission issue #10  
That is great news :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: