GR2110 - I'm not impressed.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #11  
My neighbor's experience is just like OldCoot's. Transmission is a problem but I was just on his property for hours and the grass is nicely cut.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed.
Could you possibly post a picture of what the grass looks like after mowing? Why can't they let you try another mower deck?

I hope you get it fixed up or replaced. That drives me up a wall when something like that happens.

I am still not happy with the transmission, even thought it does climb the hills now. It seems to be weak compared to the one in the Symplicty. And backing up is a joke.
But the mowing looks great.

Doubt that I could take a picture giving justice to the unevenness in cut that I'm seeing. Besides, it's raining, my grass has grow 3"-4" since last cut and my GR2110 is at the dealership. It's been sitting there and not here far more than I like.

Should mention - like most rural/farm homes around here, the "grass" is nothing like what one sees in the suburbs. Mine is a mixture of st. augustine, bermuda, centipede, fescue, pasture grasses and weeds. Although the GR2110 presents a somewhat acceptable cut with the (what I call) blade grasses, it seems to either mangle or leave uncut the stemmed grasses/weeds.

When looking at the underside of the cutting deck on my GR2110, I made note of its 3 semi-baffled cutting chambers. Semi-baffled in the sense that there are portals between them - allowing the cut grass to move left-to-right as one sits on the machine. I'm thinking, chamber #2 (center blade) is getting overwhelmed with debris when cutting taller stands of grass. That is, what's cut in chamber #1 (left blade) is being pushed into the center chamber to mix with what is being cut there, then into chamber #3 to be mixed with more cuttings before exiting to the right. I'm suggesting that this design is prone to clog in the middle - much like an expressway during rush hour(s).

Anyone know what the blade tip speed is on GR2110? From some internet searches, it seems that the ZT mowers have tip speeds close to 18,000 fps - I haven't found any posting for the GR2110. Could it be too slow for my needs?

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #13  
Like most issues and problems, there is always more to the story. Since it appears to be a common problem across many users, is the deck underflow design the cause of this problem? I presume the mulch kit is not installed, the blades are mounted wings up, the spindle heights are equal, the correct length blades for the deck are there, and the rpms are maxed out during cutting.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #14  
Our Kubota dealer showed us his ZT models, but strongly recommended that my wife opt for the GR2110. We followed his advice, but
1*I'm now thinking it was a big mistake.
1*I think you are right . :)
mjpalmer said:
2*Push Kubota to buy it back and get a BX.
I had a GR2100 and had many issues. I had mine for over a year and got about 90% of my money back from kubota and got a BX2660. The GR line in not up to the Kubota Brand standards.
2*The BX1860 is a much sweeter tractor than a GR2110 for about the same or less money.:thumbsup:

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #15  
I have heard that sometimes the deck adjustment can be the problem with leaving uncut. I am fairly heavy and when I mow my lawn (Scotts 1642), the mower deck effectively sits lower in the back than when my daughter mows (she is much lighter). I cut fairly high so the wheels on the deck only touch the ground when going over uneven areas (the deck hangs instead of riding on the ground). She gets a cleaner cut when she mows. ...and yes, I like the tires soft enough to cushion the ride a bit.

All that to say, raise the back of deck a bit or lower the front a bit and see if that helps if you end up with the mower back.

I hope you are able to get in replaced with something that works better for you.

Last edited:
   / GR2110 - I'm not impressed.
Just talked with my Kubota dealer (salesman). Had him looking for the tip speed on the GR2110. Told me he had to call the factory (in GA) to get it - wasn't discoverable in any of his shop manuals. Word is - it's 14,700 fpm. That about 3K-4K less than on the ZT mowers. Is this a major difference? - I don't know.

Being a bit sly/clever, he also queried them about my ("a customer's") cutting problems. After their usual/expected response of checking belt tension, blades, deck alignment, ... etc, he was told one should expect variance in cutting results between their (Kubota's) mowers - it really depends on what is being cut. That being the case - why then don't they put little stickers on their machines to indicate possible limitations (e.g., "Not suitable for cutting either tall or stemmed grasses.").

Dealer suggested that I should try one of the ZT models. I agreed, but also indicated my desire to assess one of the BX series tractors, as well. I just need to decide which one(s) for him to bring out. For pure cutting, I'm guessing the ZT is the beast to use. A BX model, however, offers more options for use around my 40 acres with an attached FEL and 3-pt. hitch.

If I opt for one of the above, dealer will push Kubota to credit my cost for the GR2110. That would be nice.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #17  
That sounds great. Let us know which you choose and how it does. :)
My grass is also field grass, a little of everything, but our grass doesn't grow that fast. I use the 3130 with a woods mower for the heavy stuff.
I really like most of the things about this unit, but dislike the transmission. I would look at the other ones if I had it to do over. I guess I've had such good luck with Kubota it put me off guard.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #18  
QUOTE=LBrown59

The BX1860 is a much sweeter tractor than a GR2110 for about the same or less money.

I agree, the BX1860 is a more capable tractor than the GR2110, but not for the same money, and definetly not for less money. How do you figure? Last time I priced simiallary equipped GR2120 and simiallary equipped BX1860, the BX1860 was at least +$2000.

Philip

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #19  
QUOTE=LBrown59

The BX1860 is a much sweeter tractor than a GR2110 for about the same or less money.

I agree... ...but not for the same money, and definetly not for less money. How do you figure? ...the BX1860 was at least +$2000.

Hmmmmmmm. LBrown uses "new math"? ;)

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #20  
QUOTE=LBrown59

I agree, the BX1860 is a more capable tractor than the GR2110, but not for the same money, and definetly not for less money. How do you figure? Last time I priced simiallary equipped GR2120 and simiallary equipped BX1860, the BX1860 was at least +$2000.

Philip

Still is. $2000 difference. Kubota.com build my Kubota.
Both with diesel and 48" deck

GR= $8800
BX=$10800

More tractor? LB was right. Same or less money? LB was wrong.