GR2110 - I'm not impressed.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #1  

sbakf

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 L5740/cab & BX2660/FEL with 60" MMM
Is it my particular unit?

Bought 40 ac farm back in Jan. - came with old farm house, 20 ac woods and 20 ac of neglected pastures. To rehab and maintain this property, I bought a new Kubota L5740, with necessary implements (for myself) and a new GR2110 (for my wife) to handle the grass cutting.. I've had no real problems with the L5740. I've worked it hard and it hasn't failed me, yet. The GR2110 is another story.

My wife likes cutting grass, but our 20 something inch Honda wasn't going to handle the near 2 ac around the house. Our neighbor has a gas powered ZT he uses around his house (also about 2 ac) and we were both impressed with its power and speed of cut. Our Kubota dealer showed us his ZT models, but strongly recommended that my wife opt for the GR2110. We followed his advice, but I'm now thinking it was a big mistake.

With delivery, my wife hit the tall grass around the house with the mower deck raised to its highest setting - playing it safe in case of hidden objects. The mower didn't bog down at all, but the cut was somewhat ragged. The cut smoothed out after additional passes at lower settings.

Some weeks later, my wife asked me to check out the mower to see if something was wrong with its adjustment. She was seeing two distinct tracks of taller grass centered within the cutting width of the deck.
These partially cut (uncut) tracks are about 12" apart and about 12" wide (each). I called the dealer about what we were seeing and he said it could be a bent center blade - he asked if we had hit any rocks? I queried my wife and she said, "yes, but not a big one."

When it came time for its first service, the GR2110 went back to the dealer and I asked that they check out the blades and replace if any were bent. Also requested that they check out the transmission noise (whine) and the screeching we sometimes heard when turning or activating the deck lift. About a week later, we got it back. The transmission still had a whine, the screech was still present on occasion and it was still leaving two tracks of taller grass down the middle of the cut.

I looked under the deck to see if any of the blades had been changed out. They had been sharpened, but it was quite apparent that none had been replaced with new. I called the dealer - he indicated that whine and screech were normal on the GR2110, but apologized about the blades. Said he would send out a new set of blades with the return of my L5740 (2nd service and other fix things).

My L5740 came back today, along with 3 new blades for the GR2110. I helped the delivery man install them and then had him cut a couple tracks of grass around my house to see if the problem was fixed - it wasn't. The new blades made no difference. Additionally, looking at the old blades, none appeared to show any damage or distortion (i.e., no rock strike damage).

Delivery guy said he would tell the dealer what he saw and that I should also call owner tomorrow. Any suggestion on what I should say? This mower cost over $8K - and what do I have? Not much - I'm thinking now. My neighbor has a mower that cost half as much, yet delivers far superior performance from my observations. The GR2110 has 4WD and 20+ hp, but to what advantage? I don't have hills I need to climb and the dealer tells me not to pull anything heavier than a plastic garden cart (could damage transmission and void warranty). **** - even the seat isn't comfortable.

Yes - the engine is strong and said to be long lasting, but such is somewhat irrelevant. I bought it to cut grass and it ain't doing that. Base on my experience with this machine, would I recommend it to others? My answer would have to be - NO!

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #2  
Now that is a tough one there, unless the dealer is willing to take it back you are stuck with it so to speak.

Sometimes what appears to be a ok deal turns sour and the only way out is to take the hit and get what you wanted in the first place. By this I mean trading in the GR2110 for a ZT.

On the other hand guess you have to ask yourself what would the GR2110 have to do for you to like it?

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #3  
Push Kubota to buy it back and get a BX. I had a GR2100 and had many issues. I had mine for over a year and got about 90% of my money back from kubota and got a BX2660. The GR line in not up to the Kubota Brand. IMO

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #4  
Sounds like some critcal measuring needs done on the deck setup.If the fore-aft tilt is off it won't cut right.Also need to check the deck driveshaft for proper speed,should be around 2500rpm no load.

If you had no need for 4WD,they should have sold you a T series for grass mowing chores.Makes no sense to me.

I've been using a GR for 4 yrs now and it's always cut great-if the blades are kept sharp.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #5  
My neighbor has has nothing but trouble with his GR2110 too. BUT the dealer did just fix the broken transmission for free even though it was out of warranty. It was gone for a month during the worst of our grass growing season but free is always good.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #6  
As some of the other reader know, when I got my GR2110 I was fit to be tied. The dealer even swapped mine for a new one that was no better. But the problem was, it wouldn't climb hills and was too slow. They fixed that problem.
But the mowing has always been great.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed.
Had a long talk with my Kubota dealer today - word from his Kubota rep. is they have seen my problem before. There are two possibilities - one has to do with the deck itself and the other involves a compression washer that helps to secure the blade. Whatever it might be, they will find the problem(s) and correct it. The dealer will be coming out to my farm next week to make his evaluation. I'll post his findings when they come.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #8  
I hope you get it strieght. Mine has NEVER mowed very well, but I cut transversly accross a slope alot. On level ground it's not too bad. Supposively mine adjusted correctly. Good luck!

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed.
Well - dealer (my salesman) never came out to see what I was seeing with this GR2110. He sent out his delivery guy with 3 new compression washers for the blades. After installation, I cut several 300' strips of grass (about 6" tall) with the delivery guy looking on. With engine throttle lever at max, I tried all deck height settings between #4 and #2 and at fast and slow travel speeds - no improvement - still was getting a bad cut (i.e., stepped cut with 2 strips of taller grass in the middle). Per instructions from dealer, my GR2110 was loaded up and taken back for further evaluation. Only update I've received so far is - we cut some of "our" grass and we're seeing the same thing. They also tried another GR2110 that was in their shop for scheduled service - same problem observed.

Here's a posting I found on another web forum:

05-02-2010, 03:18 PM
dogboy.

Equipment: 2008 gr2110 mower
Default gr 2110 cutting problem

hello i`m john
my problem is my kubota gr2110 leaves uncut grass when i cut my yard this tractor has only 36 hrs. on it
i have checked tire pres, deck specs. i`ve had three sets of blades on it i use a mulch kit , and i have removed it and tried that.
it`s been back to the dealer 2 times and i have talked to the district rep. three times
all they tell me is that they have never had this complaint before. the dealer even saw how it cuts
i`m at my witts end with this thing
can anyone help???????????????
thank oyu
john

I'm beginning to think there's a serious design problem with this machine and Kubota needs to identify/acknowledge and correct.

/ GR2110 - I'm not impressed. #10  
Could you possibly post a picture of what the grass looks like after mowing? Why can't they let you try another mower deck?

I hope you get it fixed up or replaced. That drives me up a wall when something like that happens.

I am still not happy with the transmission, even thought it does climb the hills now. It seems to be weak compared to the one in the Symplicty. And backing up is a joke.
But the mowing looks great.