Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    HST3710, FZ2100

Default I have the intermittent instruments gremlin

Hi, this G1800 I just bought has the intermittent instrument issue, but it is either both temp and fuel gauge work, or not. I have not seen one work without the other. What should I look at first? fuses? where might they be? Any ideas on where to find on line info would be appreciated.

Tractor
    NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800

Default Re: I have the intermittent instruments gremlin

Sounds like a ground wire(s) loose to me.
    Chris

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

What? You have instruments? Must be one of those yuppie tractors. Actually, I'm thinking of adding a temp gauge to mine.

I agree with kf4uda. Check your grounds, especially if it's all the instruments at once.

Joe
    Joe

Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    HST3710, FZ2100

OK guys, thanks, any idea if its a single frame ground and if so where? I apologize for loading the forum with questions but I dont have the books yet and I fear riding without a temp gauge!

Tractor
    Fordson Major Diesel, McCormick Deering W4, Ford 1510, John Deere L111

Unless you've had overheating problems in the past, I wouldn't worry too much about running without a temp gauge for a while. Many older tractors (including mine) never had temperature gauges. That being said, I really do understand why you'd want it fixed; so would I.

Alas, not being a kubota owner, I don't have any idea how it's wired, but usually the wires aren't too hard to trace back and check every connection. I'm facing a similar problem with an intermittent ignition, and as soon as it's warmer, I'll follow my own advice and trace all my wiring. For now, it's just a minor annoyance.

Good luck.

Joe
    Joe

Fordson Major Diesel: Case 3-bottom Trip Plow, Case 12' Trip Field Cultivator, Kewanee 130 Disc, John Deere 1209 Mower Conditioner, John Deere 594LW Side Delivery Rake, New Holland Hayliner 273 Baler, 18' Spike-Tooth Harrow
    Ford 1510: Du-Al 105 Loader, "The Thumb" Grapple, Bush Hog RBC60 Rear Blade, Woods HC54 Rotary Cutter, Tarter 5' Heavy-Duty Hinge Back Box Blade, Buhler Farm King Y600 Snowblower

Silver Member

Gauges generally ground through the senders. Look at the sender and count wires. If it only has one the sender itself is the ground.

Whether the sender is ground or wired to a ground I would check the fuse block first, it's probably a lot more accessible than the backs of the instruments and most likely feeds both. There are only a few fuses, pull each one and look at the contacts. If everything looks good there go to the gauges and work backwards. You'll probably have one wire on each gauge that is the same color, that should be power from the ignition switch, check the contacts. The other wire should be different color on each gauge and go to the senders.

If the sender has two or more wires it's pretty much the same to trouble shoot, fuse block, ign sw, gauge. The only difference will be the ground is discrete. You know what color wire came from the gauge, the other wire is ground. Check the contacts at the sender.

Depending on their proximity the two senders may or not share a common ground. If one connection has 2 wires and both senders have this color wire they're probably connected to the same ground point. Follow the harness, look for a wire that color to pop out and head off to a ground connection and check it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

BX2360 54"MMM

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    HST3710, FZ2100

Thanks to all for the help. another hint i sI noticed the glow plug light on dash i s not working either, if it might be related to the other instrument problem.

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

If your instruments work sometimes and other times not at all, don't waste your time looking at fuses. If it were a fuse, they would never work. Since both gages stop at the same time, my guess is the power plug for the dash is the culprit. When you turn on the ignition before starting, does the Charge Lamp and the Oil Pressure Lamp glow? Power (+12v) from the Main Switch (ignition switch) for the gages, warning lamps, and dash lights comes through the same red/yellow wire. Ground for the dash panel is provided by a blue wire to the harness and should be present with the main switch ON or OFF. If you look at the backs of the two gages, the "I" terminal should be +12V and the "E" terminal ground. The "U" terminal is the signal going to the sensors, either temperature or fuel level.
    Jim

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    HST3710, FZ2100

OK, when I turn the key on before starting, the oil pressure and charging light come on, and the hour meter becomes active, and I hear some sort of rapid ticking noise under the hood, thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast