More G1800 operation questions

/ More G1800 operation questions #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
OK, well the hard part is behind me, some documentation coming, but I do have a few more questions. Thanks to Jinman and Phil for all the help!

1. dash glow plug light: Its the last thing not working, but I know the glow plugs work since I can see other dash lights "dim down" when the key is in the heater position. When is the glow plug light supposed to come on?

2. Starting: when I turn the key to the "start" position, there is a delay of maybe 1 or 2 seconds before the starter actually gets moving, is this normal, or somehow related to being cold? seems it is not noticable after it is warmed up.

3. Any on-line manuals or other info (I have schematic) floating around free, with links?

thanks for all the info and allowing me to monopolize the forum for a bit, but when I get a new machine like this I have learned thats the time to get it all fixed up, before I go back to sleep...

/ More G1800 operation questions #2  
Texwing, my glowplug position on the switch is to the right of ON, but not as far right as START. When I get to that position, the glowplug light glows sometimes and other times it does not. What always does happen is the Battery and Oil Pressure lights dim due to the current draw of the glowplugs. I can tell they are working because of that. So, like many other things, the glowplug light is intermittent on my G1800, but I have a "work-around."

I think the delay in the starter is just poor contact in the switch. If you monitor the voltage to the solenoid (an analog meter would be best), you will probably see that it first goes to about 10.5 volts and then works its way up to over 11 volts where it is enough to pull in the starter solenoid. That's what I saw on my G1800. Understand, that the switch is in series with the solenoid winding. The switch contacts being slightly dirty will cause a drop in voltage by the switch that limits the current to the solenoid. By installing a switch that bypasses the key switch and the combination box, I eliminate that problem. Of course, it also bypasses the safety circuits, so you have to take that into consideration.

Texwing, I know you are looking for a low-cost solution to your manual issues, but I think it is a bit presumptuous to think that somebody is going to pay over $100 out of their pocket to buy manuals and pay shipping, then turn around and scan hundreds of pages so they can post it on the web and give it away. It's kind of like asking somebody to spend their money and do a bunch of work so you can have the convenience of a free manual. I know you don't intend for it to be that way, but it is a bit offensive to those of us who have paid our hard-earned cash for these books. No foul here. . . just sayin'. . .:)

Here are links to where you can purchase these manuals for yourself.

Operator's Manual
Workshop Manual

/ More G1800 operation questions
You know, with so many manuals and other information available at no charge from manufacturers web sites and other places, I think it is pretty reasonable to ask for any known links, and did not intend to imply anything involving any big work or illegal activities. In any case I appreciate your help and those of other forum members, and am trying to contribute however I can.

/ More G1800 operation questions #4  
You are right. You only asked for links. I apologize for being over-sensitive to your request.

/ More G1800 operation questions #5  
Jinman, thanks for the link to the kubota workshop mamuals, will order on tomorrow, I picked up a g1800 diesel with 360 hours yesterday and the only thing I can see off the bat is that the dash gauges and glow lights fail to come on . the fellow I bought the mower from was the original owner , but moved to Texas from N.C 3 year ago and his current yard was too small for the kubota, He had stored it inside originally but for the past year stored it out side and I imagine the ocassional rain or humity caused some grimlems to appear , the mower looks almost like new , Runs good , I will try to fix the problems , thanks for the help,,,,Sam

/ More G1800 operation questions #6  
The owners manual will have some rudimentary electrical diagram screen that should be sufficient for figuring out the glitch.

There is a fuse box under the inside screen, to the left, that is the heart of the ssimple electrical system on this machine.

The proper operation of the glow plug light is that when you turn the key to the position below the coil symbol, the glow plug light will light up until the glow plug is ready, and then go out, indicating it is time to turn it over (interestingly, my B7800 only has a light indicating that the glow plug is working, and requires my to count in my head prior to cranking her).

My machine now has 1400 hours on it, and the only parts of thhe dash that work reliably are the check engine lights.....the fuel guage and the temp guage only work intermitently.

If you are new to her, be aware that at some point you are probably going to get the screen in front of the radiator clogged, and when she gets hot enough she will start screaming at you (warning buzzer, god awful sound). Just throttle her down, pop the hood and clean the screen.

/ More G1800 operation questions #7  
sniggle, thanks for the tip, I am going out to the shop soon and play with the 1800, Your suggestions should help, let you know , thanks ,,,Sam