adjusting mower deck on G1800

/ adjusting mower deck on G1800 #1  

Texwing

Bronze Member
Tractor
HST3710, FZ2100
Hello, the G1800 I recently purchased (1991 model) has a 48 inch belly mower that I have noticed (when attached to the mower) is not sitting down on all four wheels, a rear guide wheel is about 1/4 or more up in the air. When off the mower, it sits nice and flat. Nothing looks bent on the mower deck, so i figure its something in the four adjustment points where it connects to the mower; but before I just start willy nilly adjusting the drag links, and pick up bars, is there any procedure or particular non-obvious details i should know? thanks for any help.

/ adjusting mower deck on G1800 #2  
They should be anti-scalp wheels and not roll on the ground all the time, deck suspended. They will also last a lot longer not in contact with the ground.

/ adjusting mower deck on G1800
Thanks for the response, so what would the set up procedure be on a flat surface? all wheels 1/4 inch off the surface, or something like that?

/ adjusting mower deck on G1800
As an update, I spoke to a guy at the local Kubota dealership who at least seemed knowlegable, who advised me to let the deck ride on the rear casters (it must, there does not seem to be enough adjustment to pick it up) but adjust the front drag links so that on a flat surface the front anti-scalp wheels are off the ground, with the front of the deck slightly higher than the rear. It was possible to adjust the front drag links to pick up the front of the deck so those little anti scalp wheels should only come into play on rough terrain.

But then i read another post about other G1800 owners installing spring kits to help pick the decks up (so the anti scalp wheels will not leave ruts or marks) ; I am not sure what I am missing?