Snowblowing???

/ Snowblowing??? #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
OK, you can shoot me now for bringing up this subject after the tough winter we have all had. Still I wanted to ask if anyone here had experience snowblowing over the winter with a 2wd garden tractor, one of the larger ones. I'm thinking 1000-1200 lbs. or so. I would like some imput since I have a chance to buy a Legacy XL 2wd at a very good price, but would want to use it for most snow. I do have my Kubota for back up.
Chuck

/ Snowblowing??? #2  
OK, you can shoot me now for bringing up this subject after the tough winter we have all had. Still I wanted to ask if anyone here had experience snowblowing over the winter with a 2wd garden tractor, one of the larger ones. I'm thinking 1000-1200 lbs. or so. I would like some imput since I have a chance to buy a Legacy XL 2wd at a very good price, but would want to use it for most snow. I do have my Kubota for back up.
Chuck

:eek:

Hey Chuck,

They all behave the same way and they are limited
by traction.

Plan on adding chains and having loaded tires,
it is a must do item.

The number one issue is always keeping the
snow banks under control by knocking them down
and back away from the access/eggress as the surface
will undergo freeze thaw and become much more dense.

/ Snowblowing??? #3  
My neighbor has a Sears and does it all the time. He just added wheel weights and chains.

/ Snowblowing??? #4  
I have a G1800 and yes, it does lose traction even with chains. I bought a set of ag tire/rims three years thinking I'd get better traction at my cottage where I have a steep, gravel covered hill. The ag tires were much worse than my turf tires, they kept digging into the gravel. So there I was with a, I thought, useless set of ag tires and rims.

Two winters ago I decided to mount my chains on the ag tires to see how much traction I'd lose or gain over the chain/turf combination at my city house where I have an asphalt driveway. The ag tire/chain set performs much better on snow and ice than the turf tire/chain set ever did. I'd say I get a 25% increase in traction. My tires are unfilled.

/ Snowblowing??? #5  
I have a belt driven snowblower for my vintage Simplicity. If the belt gets loose, no snow moves. Tighten the belt, and it usually snaps, totally frustrating. I can't get anything done with it. Now, I understand the shaft driven and hydraulic driven snowblowers are like night and day to a belt drive.

/ Snowblowing??? #6  
Hello Wolfy,

You need to replace the belt with one of the kevlar belts from TSC or NAPA and you will be worry free as they are much stronger belts due to the kevlar thread.;)

Last edited:
   / Snowblowing??? #7  
Belt driven 42" blower on a L111 JD. Suitcase weights and chains. I've been using this setup for the past 6 or 7 years . My drive is 1500 ft plus drives to barn and woodpile adding another 500-600 ft of work. It has cleared everything it front of it. Uses a few belt setups yearly. Now I'm saving for a 3pt blower for my SC2400

/ Snowblowing??? #8  
Hey Marty,

How old is your shepard? is he/she a Belgian Shepard or a red German Shepard?

I wil be using my JD115 with 44 inch Blower this coming winter, I will probably change the new unused V belt with a Kevlar belt from TSC or Napa Just to be more at ease.:thumbsup:

/ Snowblowing??? #9  
Leonz, I have 2 GSD. He's a black n red. West German show lines.6 years old I have a sable female West German working lines 4 yrs old. I might grab the kevlar belts. Wondering if they carry the long 4 footer in kevlar? I've tryed others from auto parts places but didn't fit very well.

/ Snowblowing??? #10  
Hey Marty, If they dont have them in stock they can order them for you.
be sure to bring the old one to have them get the right width and depth belt for you.
I grew up with a beautiful silver sable that was in the Rin Tin Tin bloodline
(And he had my mother wrapped around all four paws):thumbsup: