G5200 Front PTO engagement belts

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #1  

Lobanz

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400, Kubota G5200H
Was doing some maintenance on my 5200 (which I love) and found that one of the twin PTO engagement belts on the front is cut. These are the two V belts that make the mower go when you push the lever to engage the mower. The dealer said that that were $30 EACH. :shocked:

Is there anything magical about the OEM belts? Can I just go find some at Tractor Supply or something? I can't find the part number or the size. Only part number I can find (via Messicks) is for optional rear PTO engagement.

Help appreciated.

Thanks!

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts
The part number 66021-25080 and it's about $25-$30 online for a pair. Called dealer back and he said he told me wrong, and that they were $46 EACH. He did give me the part number though. I also made him confirm that they didn't come in pairs, and he insisted that the price was for EACH belt.

The size seems to be 5/8"x32.48". Auto parts stores cross ref it to a Gates 6932 which 21/32"x32" (3/8" tall) and is about [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gates-6932-Powerated-Belt/dp/B000CRFJWK"]$10 online[/ame] (about $18 at auto parts stores which have to order them).

I'm leaning toward the OEM belts online. That way I know it'll fit. Just have to be patient and wait for them to come in. I REALLY wish the dealer would sell them at a reasonable price. They have been reasonable on the other (very few) parts I have needed for this mower. :confused:

Perhaps this info will help some else looking for belts for their G5200. What an AWESOME BEAST it is!

Well actually, that's not a Kubota belt. It's a AI Products belt. But at least it's made for the tractor.

Anyone think the Gate's belt at the auto store will be better or worse?

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #4  
Is there anything magical about the OEM belts?
Whatever you get, make sure it is a wrapped belt. That (IMO) will make them last significantly longer than an unwrapped belt. I like Gates belts, but YMMV.

Aaron Z

Yup. The Kubota OEM belt IS very expensive. See it HERE. $43.95 EACH at Messicks.

It's a COGGED v-belt. Says "Bando REC SB-31" on the picture at Messicks. I'll bet it's a Bando Power King BX31 (see pg 24). Matches the dimensions of the Ai Products belt very closely IF the Ai length is inner length. From researching, looks like Honda also uses Bando SB-31 belts on some of their equipment.

So, the ones I have are NOT OEM then. Hmmmmm.... WHAT to DO?!

IF it is a cogged Bando BX31, looks like you can order them online for about $8.

Measured existing belt. Was 33" outer circumference. That would make it a BX30, not a BX31. Bando catalog only goes down to BX31, not BX30. I see a Bando BX30 belt as OEM from various equipment manufacturers, so I bet it's a custom/low production belt which may explain why it's so expensive. Bando looks to be an excellent brand, but you can get a Gates BX30 belt (also good brand) online for under $8.

Notched is probably important seeing how the pulley's it goes around are small and it moves pretty fast.

I may go by the Kubota dealer and look at their fancy belt.

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #8  
Notched is probably important seeing how the pulley's it goes around are small and it moves pretty fast.
Probably not as much as you might think. Snowblower belts go around a small pulley on the engine side (~2" OD to the rim of the pulley) and in my experience, a wrapped belt will outlast a notched unwrapped belt 20-1 (had one that ate 3 notched belts in a row in less than a 2 weeks of snowblowing at a hotel. A wrapped belt of the same size worked for the rest of the season)

Aaron Z

Probably not as much as you might think. Snowblower belts go around a small pulley on the engine side (~2" OD to the rim of the pulley) and in my experience, a wrapped belt will outlast a notched unwrapped belt 20-1 (had one that ate 3 notched belts in a row in less than a 2 weeks of snowblowing at a hotel. A wrapped belt of the same size worked for the rest of the season)

Aaron Z

Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to read my OCD rambling. So you think I should get a wrapped belt even though the OEM belt is notched?

/ G5200 Front PTO engagement belts #10  
Thanks! I appreciate you taking the time to read my OCD rambling. So you think I should get a wrapped belt even though the OEM belt is notched?

I would lo0ok at the OEM belt to make sure it is notched, but if this it engaging the PTO by tightening the belts, I would recommended a wrapped belt... In my experience unwrapped belts don't handle slipping during the process of engaging anywhere near as well as wrapped belts do.

Just my :2cents:

Aaron Z