G1900s stalling on sharp left turns

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #1  

jabr1319

Tractor
g1900s
Howdy all,

New owner of a G1900s with 1700 hours on it. 48" deck. I've only used it for a month (so roughly 4 times total) and it seemingly runs fine. Also new to these forums and I have to say I'm very impressed with the knowledge of this community. You've already helped me replace my pto belts. :)

The only issue I've come across so far is that I can make the machine stall if I make a sharp left turn. Basically the way my yard is laid out, I can make sharp left or right turns in my driveway to get ready for the next row to cut. When making 'zero-point' left turns, the engine will start sputtering. Sometimes I can give it a little gas and recover, sometimes not. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but enough to be annoying. Tractor always starts right back up as if nothing happened. If I widen my turn everything works fine and she hums along happy as can be. Sharp right turns work perfectly.

I'm stumped. I don't see how turning would cause a stall. I can recreate with or without the mower deck engaged. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #2  
Welcome to TBN.
It sounds like it could be a seat safety switch. When you lean to the one side it tweaks the switch and causes intermittent stalling. My BX1500 will do that sometimes. You can bypass the switch to test it. :thumbsup:

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #3  
I would also replace both fuel filters (cheap and easy).
I had similar, very strange cut-out problems a couple of years ago on my G1800s, and found the filters clogged. Certain hill and/or turn situations would interrupt fuel flow (which was already restricted) just long enough for a stall or near-stall.

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #4  
I think Randall has hit the most likely issue. If you bypass your seat switch and it still cuts out, you need to find out if the cutoff solenoid is causing fuel cutoff or if the fuel starvation is happening for another reason. You can probably leave the hood open as you make a sharp turn and see if the cutoff solenoid energizes. If so, it's an electrical problem (seat switch, combination box, ignition switch, or loose wire).

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #5  
I would also bet on the seat safety switch. Mine acted up, and the bypass solved the problem. Be sure to cover the bypass in electrical tape, as I created a shorting problem by not properly insulating it the first time around.

Attachments

• seat switch.jpg
    seat switch.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 893
  • seat switch 2.jpg
    seat switch 2.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 510
   / G1900s stalling on sharp left turns
Thanks for all the tips and prompt replies. Very much appreciated. I'll spend some time on it this weekend and see what fix works.

-Josh

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #7  
Can also be trash in the fuel tank or fuel bowl if it has one. Had a wasp in fuel tank once and it seldom was issue but with certain sharp turns floated over the fuel outlet and stopped me.

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns
I took a look yesterday and found that my seat has no wiring at all, so a previous owner must have removed the seat safety measures.

I have a couple fuel filters on order and will install those when they show up.

In the meantime I'll have to come up with a mowing plan that only involves right-handed turns. No big deal. :laughing:

-Josh

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #9  
There must be some wiring. You should search it out, because if the fix has come loose and the connection is loose, that could account for the intermittent engine operation.

/ G1900s stalling on sharp left turns #10  
I took a look yesterday and found that my seat has no wiring at all, so a previous owner must have removed the seat safety measures.

I have a couple fuel filters on order and will install those when they show up.

-Josh

Josh, my G1800 has the seat switch disabled. It was that way when I bought my G1800 a couple of years ago. The seat switch makes contact when the operator is present and opens when you get out of the seat, so all you have to do is put a jumper between the wires in the connector to bypass the switches operation.

To ensure your safety circuits are not causing your machine to shut down when you turn left, you should open the hood and disconnect the fuel cutoff solenoid. It's located above the water pump and looks like the illustration below with a pigtail connector. Disconnect the solenoid and then drive around making left turns. If the engine no longer dies, your problem is electrical and something is causing the solenoid to shut the engine down. If the engine still dies, then your problem is probably fuel feed related to a dirty filter or faulty fuel pump.

BTW: While the solenoid is disconnected, you probably won't be able to stop the engine with the key. Reconnect the solenoid and then turn off the key for normal operation. It's important to turn off the key after the solenoid is reconnected because the kill signal to the solenoid is only there for 10 seconds after the key is turned off.

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 590