ZG23 purchase?

/ ZG23 purchase? #1  

GarthH

Silver Member
I have been demoing a ZG23 with 700 hours. I has a few issues dull blades, unpowered motor, a safety switch not always working.

I think the motor need plugs and fuel system clean up. This looks easy to do.

I've looked at the removal of the deck but not sure how it would be done. How is the PTO disconnected or should we just lift the tractor to change the blades? How about the belts replacement?

The safety switch is inconsistent, on startup it works sometimes and not others, I not sure if it is the break or the steering. Are these easy to replace?

The dealer is asking $6K for the machine, it seems reasonable?

Thank you your help.

Garth H

/ ZG23 purchase?
I've been reading many of the posts on the Z-series. I seems like the diesel engine is preferred. I assume more power but is there other reasons?

I have a L3940 tractor and the engine is good but thought for lawn work the gas would be OK, maybe not?

Thanks

Garth

/ ZG23 purchase?
I think the ZG will get dropped off at the dealer tomorrow. I have noticed a few on them on the market which seems to be unusual and also noted a few 23 HP motor failures. I don't see any advantages to the ZG, it really did not cut well, seemed underpowered, had safety switch solenoid issues and a few other concerns. It also seed overpriced for what the dealer was providing.

I likely can't afford a new Kubota ZRT so will likely default to a Toro for a few years.

I haven't done much research on the Toro line. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Garth

/ ZG23 purchase? #4  
The main reason I went with Diesel is because neighbor has had so much luck with his. And my other neighbor has so much bad luck with her Exmark gasser. I wish I had more answers to your other questions. Good Luck whatever you decide. I was told that Kubota recently started using the diesel block with gas components for their gas engines.

/ ZG23 purchase? #5  
6k seems awfully high for that mower, especially with 700 hours. The highest I would be willing to go on it would be 4k and with the problems you said it had, maybe less then that. I paid $7200 for a brand new John Deere 910A with 54" deck.