Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #11  
is there gear oil in these? never ever looked or checked, but i'd change it if it's there.

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #12  
As of now Ive got two of these gems... I paid an arm and a leg for them, but Im sick of buying a new craptsman every 2 years.... I have a w5021-sc and a w5019-pc....

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #13  
I think I have the exact same 2 mowers. they are fabulous pieces of equipment. I just added two Kubota ride ons; both T1560 and they make the best finishing cut of any ride-on I've ever owned.

My friend gave us a Honda mower with a rusted deck. My cousin and I made a nice sheet metal poatch job and it looks great. My wife likes how smooth the Honda is. So the Kubota W5019 is our unused spare. I decided to try and sell it. Seems to be no interest. We never really had these in Canada so I don't think people realize how great these mowers are.

Also, people are generally penny-conscious (myself included). They forget to look at the big picture. They'll spend $100 on a used POS mower, but won't spend $200 on the best mower, aluminum deck, etc... that will last them the life of 4 cheap mowers. Our W5021 owes us nothing and still runs great. I try to get best quality at best price.

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #14  
I have one too and agree 100%, they are great.

I have two of the 5021
One self propelled one not

I got the pusher new in early 90's when kubota changed company logo to ugly block style

Rope lasted 17 years
Plug changed with rope although not needed.
Don't be mad guys but I've never changed the oil and it still looks clean
The SP model I have set for vacuuming height
I can't believe kubota Quit making them
My wife worked for toro and I declined a great deal on the commercial 2 stroke
Glad I went kubota
Gobs of torque on st augustine

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #15  
I wouldn't mind adding a commercial version to the stable. I was looking at spending 1200+ for a Honda hrc commercial mower. Then I realised I could get a couple of these Japanese made minors beast for the same money. I've been searching for weeks for the best condition machines I could afford.

Does anyone know where I can download a service manual and owners manual?

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #16  
Hi everyone,

My first time posting here, I just came across this thread searching for info on the W5021. I've had mine for 2 years, got it on a trade because I couldn't believe how rugged it was. It's such an incredible machine. The biggest problem I've got is that it didn't come with a bag and it really wants to be a bagging mower. I know there was a side discharge chute but I can't find it anywhere. I fitted it with a chute off a John Deere sb14 that sort of fits. The only bag I've seen was new from Kubota for over $150, and didn't include the frame. It's a shame really because it's just been sitting idle. I thought about selling it over the summer, but very few people recognize the value in it. Does anyone know of a bagging setup that would fit the body design?

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #17  
i agree, people don't recognize the value of these mowers.

here is a somewhat local ad. This guy has bent crank so it's really a parts mower. I don't think he'll get more than $100. Maybe shipped you'd have it for under $200 then you have bag, etc... Or maybe he'll just sell you bag set up? worth asking anyways....

oops, link wouldn't post...you'll have to cut & paste this into your browser: Kubota Walk Behind Mower

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #18  
I didnt know Kubota made a push mower. I ran across one of these on Craigslist and started researching. I read how well they were built, so I snatched it up for $40.00. It almost looks new, the guy said it has been in storage for about 3 years. I drove it home and pulled the air filter and it looks like they stored it upside down. The filter and carb was full of very black oil, I pulled the sparkplug and it looked the same. After cleaning and re-installing, and adding fresh gas w/Sea foam, it started on the first pull. It smoked a little at first but cleared out, the only issue was the blade wouldnt turn.
I researched for parts and the clutch plate itself is a discontinued item. The only option is to order the whole clutch assembly. Direct from Kubota there about $300.00, Sears has them for $167.00, so I bit the bullet and bought it from Sears.
After installing, I mowed the front yard and had 2 of my neighbors come over to look at it. The mower works flawlesly. I'm looking for a side discharge chute if anyone knows where I can get one.

Attachments

• 20120915_154424.jpg
    20120915_154424.jpg
    894.9 KB · Views: 6,164
  • 20120914_155014.jpg
    20120914_155014.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 1,962
  • 20120914_155242.jpg
    20120914_155242.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 1,562
  • 20120915_154403.jpg
    20120915_154403.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 7,315
   / Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #19  
Hey HS,
Ran across your post and wanted to know if you have any info about operating specs (i.e. spark plug type & gap, valve adjustment specs?) I tried calling the place in TN and rec'd no answer or call back. I have had the W5021 self-propelled since '92 and have had similar experience w/this tank. Use it at least once/month year round. Never problem starting, running, nothing. However, I thought I'd change the oil (when I checked it, was really black) and did the other day. Afterward, it started fine, but smoked like the dickens-white smoke. I thought maybe I had tilted it too much and got oil where it shouldn't have been. So I took out the plug and found it to be completely oiled up and of course fouled out. Then after cleaning the plug, when I tried starting it, there was something keeping it from rotating. When I pulled on the chord it acted like something was hindering rotation-like something mechanical had somehow got in the way. Was wondering if the lack of oil changes over the last few years caused some damage. Seemed like the thick viscosity of the oil was keeping it "together". Took it over to local small engine shop. Guy there had never seen a Kubota mower and thought I had the wrong plug (too long-hitting piston). But it was the same plug I've had for at least five years and has been running fine. After hearing that, he now wants to take the engine apart. Somewhat afraid of him doing that and was wondering if any of you had any troubleshooting ideas I could initiate before allowing this guy to "have his way" w/my mower. BTW, it is the best mower I have ever had- bar none. I have several, including John Deere rider 48". The Kubota I use around my enclosed pool area where the rider can't get in. But I actually enjoy mowing w/this Kubota as all have touted about the amenities & usability of this great mower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this. Have a great day!
dd

/ Kubota W5021-sc lawn mower #20  
that's a strange one. I can't possibly connect oil keeping anything together or oil change being detrimental. And a sudden seizure doesn't add up. I'm thinking blockage/obstruction.

white smoke is not oil, usually blue smoke = oil (like worn rings). On a car white smoke sometimes means coolant/head gasket. Not sure what it tells you on a mower. Have you or mower repair guy pulled off the top pull cover? Maybe something wiggled and moved in the way of the pull start when you tilted it...like a rock, pebble, stick. If your repair guy doesn't know Kubota at all, I'd be a bit warey to let him dive in and spend time figuring it out at your risk & expense.

Ebay seems to have several repair manuals for these. You want repair manual, NOT owner's manual. Maybe get that first and then take both to your small engine guy if you don't feel comfortable diving into it.

If you remove pull start/top cover, you can see if the flywheel will turn (it will be stiff, but you should be able to turn it by hand). That alone should tell you if it's internal and a potentially bigger, uglier problem.

My echo weed trimmer fell over once. Later, i couldn't pull start it. Unfortunately, it caused a piece of the cast to break where the plastic shroud bolts on...just enough to make it impossible to pull start. I had to replace short block. The motor was still perfect but couldn't be saved because of the jam. (I highly doubt anything like this is your case).