GR2120 defective fan

/ GR2120 defective fan #1  

allen13331

Tractor
John Deere 870
We just bought a GR2120 and overall we love the machine. It climbs like crazy and turns on a dime. At idle speed the tractor rattles a bit due to the diesel engine but that is to be expected. I noticed a rattle coming from the rear that was not associated with the motor. After a lot of looking and testing it turned out to be the fan that cools the hydrostat. The fan wobbles and the blades are out of alignment. The sales guy came out and picked it up to take to the service center. They all agree that the problem is the fan but fixing it may be an issue. They tested all their new GR2120's and they all have the same fan problem. It appears that at least some of their fans have a manufacturing issue. If it was not under warranty (2 weeks old) I would find a higher quality fan and replace it myself. I am not sure what they are going to do since any replacement fan will probably have the same problem. Kubota corporate is apparently aware of the problem so I am sure a fix is coming. If you are thinking about a GR2120 have them run it at idle and then listen at the rear of the tractor and to the fan. I am curious how wide spread this issue is. BTW at high speed the rattle goes away but that vibration can't be good on the hydrostat.

/ GR2120 defective fan #2  
I'm beginning to think Kubota is becoming sloppy with the quality control.

I bought my first Kubota in 87, a 9200, then a 2150, then a L3130 and never had a problem. Then came the RTV900 and I had the shifting problem and they replaced all the wheels because the tires kept leaking. Never did hear what the problem with the wheels was.
Then I bought a GR2110. They delivered it and I had to take it back the next day. It wouldn't climb any real incline and would hardly back up over a 2" step. They just gave me another one. Surprise it was the same as the first. So they sent a tech over and found the set screw that holds the linkage to the input shaft of the transmission was loose. It was very hard to get to, without taking the wheel off. It seemed to work fine for a while and then the same thing happened. Fixed that and a few hours later the front drive shaft came loose and had to be replace, under warranty.

Finally traded on a BX last year and so far happy with it.

/ GR2120 defective fan #3  
I bought a GR2020 a couple months ago. It does not have the fan noise that you describe. The GR2020 is the gas version. So far we love it. We have had no issues with it. It handles hills, forwards and in reverse extremely well. It will take hills easily that I really wouldn't want to ride up.

/ GR2120 defective fan
Interesting that you do not have the noise. We just heard back from our dealer and they have no solution and basically we have to live with it. They say the noise does not effect the performance and Kubota has not addressed the issue. I too am beginning to get concerned about Kubota's quality control but then again I can't say anyone is any better.

I may order a replacement fan for the gas version to see if the fan is any better. I suspect it was just a particular run of fans and if we can get an older one it will be straight.

/ GR2120 defective fan #5  
gr2120 49 hrs. Leaked almost all of the oil out of the mower gearbox. Factory rep's fix was to put heavier oil in it. Input shaft to the transaxle has .030 radial play in the ball bearing. Rep said that was within tolerance. My question to the service Rep was... What is the tolerance limits on this ball bearing?, and why does Kubota specify hydraulic oil for the gear box if thats not what they want in it? Still waiting for an answer. I feel the problem with the bearing in the transaxle is due to the drive shaft not being balenced and/or running true (bent?) No problem with the transaxle fan that I am aware of. First thing I did was to set the engine idle up a little to the sweet spot so as to get rid of the Kubota shake! Mine shook so much, I thought it would break the engine mounts.

Jack up the rear end and lift up on the rear wheels. Tell me if you have a lot of play in the axle bearings. Mine seem to be somewhat sloppy.

I bought mine sight unseen as they didn't have one in stock. Had I have known that you couldn't move it with out starting the engine, I would not have bought it. If you run out of fuel, or if somthing happens that you want to move it and it won't run, you are S.O.L.

/ GR2120 defective fan #6  
Buying without trying was my downfall with Kubota too . I bought a T2380
sight-unseen . What a piece of utter rubbish that model is. Managed to
ditch it on another ( just opened ) Dealer and only lost $500 . Bought
a BX2360 . I'm happy enough with this machine. GR's cause alot of grief
to their owners , for the numbers that sell.

/ GR2120 defective fan #7  
gr2120 49 hrs. Leaked almost all of the oil out of the mower gearbox. Factory rep's fix was to put heavier oil in it. Input shaft to the transaxle has .030 radial play in the ball bearing. Rep said that was within tolerance. My question to the service Rep was... What is the tolerance limits on this ball bearing?, and why does Kubota specify hydraulic oil for the gear box if thats not what they want in it? Still waiting for an answer. I feel the problem with the bearing in the transaxle is due to the drive shaft not being balenced and/or running true (bent?) No problem with the transaxle fan that I am aware of. First thing I did was to set the engine idle up a little to the sweet spot so as to get rid of the Kubota shake! Mine shook so much, I thought it would break the engine mounts.

Jack up the rear end and lift up on the rear wheels. Tell me if you have a lot of play in the axle bearings. Mine seem to be somewhat sloppy.

I bought mine sight unseen as they didn't have one in stock. Had I have known that you couldn't move it with out starting the engine, I would not have bought it. If you run out of fuel, or if somthing happens that you want to move it and it won't run, you are S.O.L.

There's a screw on that transaxle that can be turned out to roll it without starting the engine.It's in the service manual.Check with Dealer.

On the mower gearbox,mine has always seeped a little.Can't tell if it's the front seal or the vent.At any rate,I changed the fluid at 50hrs and put 80-90W gear oil back in it as recommended by my dealer.Supposed to replace the seal every 2 yrs but I haven't replaced it in 6yrs.Guess I could use an old timers trick and fill the box with mostly grease and some oil-don't use the deck in cold weather anyway,and no more leaks.

Did replace a PS hose today that was replaced 2yrs ago.Same problem,the front corner of the Gas engine block rubbed a hole in it,So,the dealer heated the L fitting and bent it so it can't rub when the axle pivots.This should fix it permanently.

IIR,the hydro fan came loose one time so I tightened the screws back down.No problem since.

/ GR2120 defective fan #8  
.Can't tell if it's the front seal or the vent.

its the vent. If these gearboxes are filled anywhere near the full mark they will blow half the oil out the vent. Its the same gearboxes that are on the BX decks, they both do it.