G5200H recon

/ G5200H recon #1  

DavidVT

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota 3430
I picked up a running but tired G5200H recently. Wednesday I had the good fortune of meeting two of the three families that have owned it from new. Seems it started working in Virginia many years ago. Primary issue for these two has been wiring and having to jump start the mower on a regular basis.

I thought I would start this thread and update it from time to time for others caring for older G5200H's. Don't look for a frame off restore any time soon. For now just learning, questions, and hopefully some solutions. My 3430 sits in the yard a bit curious about this new little orange challenge I am spending time with.....

The mower has the hydraulic lift, front plow, and functional but well seasoned and patched mower deck.

Thus far:
I have made one attempt to reseat left rear leaking tire. Seems to be holding, at least much better than before
I ran an injector cleaner cocktail that seems to have help get the smoke out of the engine pretty well. The engine seems pretty smooth.
The mower deck cuts far better than all my other craftsmen style garden tractors, even in waist high grass.
Yep there is a battery drain issue..

WHERE TO FIND WIRING DIAGRAMS? Anywhere on line?

Pics to follow...

/ G5200H recon
I Enjoyed a few diesel powered mowings but now the deck is failing. I knew I bought a project and here we go...m. The mowing season is over so now is the time to learn how to pull the deck.
The yoke at the front of the mower's gearbox is now sweeping a very large circle allowing it to hit the deck. I suspect at least the front bearing has failed.
The engine runs smoothly after a nice injector cleaner cocktail. The one tire continues to have a small leak.
Anyone have experience tearing into the G5200H mower deck internals? The deck metal seems sturdy and was patched nicely by a previous owner at some point.

/ G5200H recon #4  
The manual for the deck is listed under mowers and catchers at the same site as noted above. Pulling the deck is a simple but painful (as in the backside) endeavor. It not that it is hard, just that being so low to the ground is hard on the back. Read the manual as it tells you to turn the wheels in a certain direction to get it off easier.

If you have some mechanical ability it should not be hard on you to rebuild the gearbox. The parts should be available at your dealer.

How about some pics of the tractor and the gearbox problem.

Profnohair

/ G5200H recon #5  
I inherited a small orange blob in the grass when I bought my house a while back. Turned out to be a G5200HST. I pulled it out of the weed pile and began to get it running again. New battery-- nothing . Decided to tear into the little beast. Ordered a manual from Messick's. Had to tear the little beast down to the frame and star over. Engine was good, needed freeze plugs. Radiator was ok, water pump showed some signs of rust but rotated without binding and did not leak. Had to fabricate a new seat plate. Some paint helped looks. Wire harness had to be gone through-- several of the terminals in an 8-pin plug under the battery were corroded out from battery acid. Replaced terminals and it stated right up and no battery current leakage.
Mower deck was pretty much shot. Previous owner had patched the top of deck with BONDO. Not enough structure left to repair. I had a piece of 10 ga steel cut to replace entire top of deck. Welded it in place. Took all the spindles and soaked them overnight in cleaner. Replaced all bearings and seals. Had to re-tap bigger thread size in one spindle for mounting to deck. Cleaned gearbox and replaced inlet bearing and seal. Be careful of the shims and get them back in same place as it was taken apart. Front mower deck drive shaft coupling had to be soaked with PB Blaster to free it up, but works LIKE NEW now. New belt. New blades. Coat of paint. Re-attached to tractor. Tired it out on a small patch of high Johnson grass and it never even slowed down when mowing it. This little thing is a beast.

/ G5200H recon #6  
I love our G5200.
She's a weebeastie, alright.
I just took a pressure washer to our deck after removing the belt shrouds and followed up with lots of grease.

/ G5200H recon
Winter is over and now to dig my little kubota back out of the barn. One rear tire is flat and I know that mower deck gearbox is bad. I plan to pull off the deck and create a work area to tear into the gearbox. I can run the tractor with a trailer for yard wok for the time being. Looking forward to getting grass cut with it by the end of July. :)

/ G5200H recon
Well that 'end of July' now looks to be 2017.. Life got in the way. The G5200H mower deck is at a friends now being rebuilt with a new to me gear box. The tractor has sat for three years but started just fine and toured the property today for fun. I had looked at some new diesel garden tractors yesterday which pushed me to get back to this old kubota! I notice play in the rear axle shafts.... Hope not a big fix....