TG-1860 water pump going out

/ TG-1860 water pump going out #1  

txmike

Tractor
tg-1860
i have a tg-1860 diesel with about 350hrs and the seal on the shaft of the water pump is starting to leak. i have priced replacment water pumps and found they vary by SN on the engine. has anyone had any issues with this water pump before. is it common or just random? any idea how dificult it is to change(cant imagine any harder than on a car engine)

thanks.

/ TG-1860 water pump going out #2  
:welcome: to TBN. The water pump for your machine is listed in the diagram below. As you indicated, there are two numbers for the complete assy. Your Kubota dealer should be more helpful in identifying the part in my opinion. However, you don't have to replace the whole pump if you can get it disassembled. Item #40 is the pump shaft seal. If you can get your impeller off the shaft and remove the seal, I'd bet the seal will be a bunch cheaper than the whole pump.
TG1860WaterPump.jpg

/ TG-1860 water pump going out
thanks, i have been sneaking around here for a few months. i started looking for a used mower for my new purchase 2 acre lot and found this TG-1860 with 340hrs. the hood was a bit faded, (left outside) but it runs good and i have polished out the hood and paint to almost new color. i looked at the diagram from Messicks (found that site here on TBN) and decided to order a new pump. i have a feeling i wont be able to get the shaft out of it. BUT i will attempt to replace the seal in the old one and have it for a back up once i get the mower up and running again.

I was hoping someone had done this and could give me a few tips. i guess ill start by taking out fan and radiator shroud and go from there. thanks again. MIKE

/ TG-1860 water pump going out #4  
Mike, I just don't think this is a common failure. My G1800 with over 1750 hours doesn't leak a drop (knock on wood!) and I've only heard of one other water pump leak on this style of diesel engine on these forums. It was on an older G5200 machine that had sat unused for a long time.

/ TG-1860 water pump going out
your correct, from what i hear this is a very uncommon problem. I am going to try and take pictures along the way and put it all in a post for the next person that may need this info. HOpefully it wont be to difficult.