water pump step by step on TG-1860 diesel

/ water pump step by step on TG-1860 diesel #1  

txmike

Tractor
tg-1860
i had posted a few weeks back about changing the water pump on my tg-1860 diesel. i ordered the new pump and gasket from Messicks and finally got time to work on it. to date i have the new pump on and just purchased a new fan belt to put on since i have it all off any ways thought i would post some pics and step by step for others.

started out taking the front end/hood off and setting it aside.

it took me a while to figure out how to get to the fan bolts but was easier than i thought. i drained the radiator and unbolted the 4 bolts in the fan shroud. disconnected the top and bottom hoses. the radiator just sits on two places and is not actually bolted in. I could not get the radiator/shroud off around the fan so i seperated the fan and shroud and was able to get my hand between them to unbolt the fan from the water pump.

i pulled out the radiator, shroud, and fan all in one go. this gave good access to the water pump. there are 6 or 7 bolts into the water pump that were easily removed. i had to pry a tiny bit to get the pump to seperate from the block (gasket was stuck) got the pump off and set aside. (make sure to cover or put something in the water jacket hole in the block and lower radiator hose to keep the junk out). i scraped the gasket face on the block clean and prepped it for the new pump.

the new pump bolted right up and reconnected the lower hose and small hose into the thermostat housing.

this is where i am at today. i decided after much looking around that the only way to change the fan belt is to remove the bolts from the drive shaft. SOOOO while i have easy access to it, i unbolted the three bolts from the drive shaft and will got a new belt today from my local dealer.

tonight i will start putting it all back together. i have one more fuel filter to change and the oil and filter to change before i get back to mowing with it.

sorry for the long post hope it helps someone later. MIKE

/ water pump step by step on TG-1860 diesel
first pic shows front mower with hood off and radiator area

second pic shows the front of motor with pump taken out

third, is new and old pump

4, new pump in place
5 radiator and shroud out in one piece
6 found some scaring on inside of pump cacity on block side. hope this isnt a future problem. didnt show any metal missing hopefully just a goof in the casting from the block.

hood off.jpgpump off.jpgnew and old.jpgnew pump in.jpgradiator out.jpgscaring inside pump area.jpg

/ water pump step by step on TG-1860 diesel #3  
I used to have a TG1860 diesel. I find this very interesting and nostalgic. The GF1800 I bought to replace it has the same engine, so maintainance is very familiar.

/ water pump step by step on TG-1860 diesel #4  
Mike, it looks like you are doing a great job. Do you have any plans for the old waterpump? Will you see if it can be disassembled easily for seal replacement? Is it core part that can be returned for rebuild?

I think you are smart going ahead and unbolting the transmission driveshaft to replace the belt. While the driveshaft is loose, you can check for play in your u-joints. If there is any play or the u-joints seem to be short-lived, now would be the best time to replace that shaft. I think I've read that Kubota doesn't sell u-joints, only replacement shafts. I don't know that for sure, though.

/ water pump step by step on TG-1860 diesel
getting everything apart was actually not as hard as i thought it would be. i have done lots of work on and around older car engines and these are just about the same. i checked the u-joints best i could and they seemed solid still, noticed there were greasable so went ahead and put a git of greese in it. i do not think there was a core charge for the pump. although expensive for its size i think that is because it says kubota on the package. its small forged alluminum housing i think. i will try and pull the shaft out and see if i can get to the seal. if so i will replace it and keep on the shelf for any future problems (crossing my fingers it doesnt happen again). over all it was a good little project. i also changed the oil/filter which issnt hard, just trying to figure out how to catch the oil as due to all the stuff under the mower. also changed the fuel filter by the engine.

I have one fuel filter left but realized i have to take the back tire off to get to it easily. unless there is some other trick i cant figure out yet.

/ water pump step by step on TG-1860 diesel #6  
Mike, if you take off the rear left tire, hidden on the side of the HST somewhere (underneath an inch of dried grass clippings) is the spill to fill plug for the HST fluid. It may be worthwhile checking the level. You can fill it via the breather tube on the back of the tractor underneath the HST belt cover. At the time mine had a slow drip, I had to add a cup or so twice a year. There is no way to change the fluid completely as far as I know without removing the pan, which I wouldn't suggest btw.