Kubota GR2000 metal shavings in hydraulic oil screen. How much is to much?

/ Kubota GR2000 metal shavings in hydraulic oil screen. How much is to much? #1  

skeeterbug

Tractor
Kubota B2920 MMM, FEL, BX1860 mmm, Fel
I serviced my GR2000 on Saturday at 313 hours, When I took the hydraulic line off and removed the screen I used a 1/2 inch magnet and put it into the hole and got close to a teaspoon of metal shavings that were stopped by the screen.

My question is how many is to many?

There were some at 200 hours but i figured that is why they put the screen in. To catch the metal.
I really need someone that has done this themselves to give me their opinion on the amount stopped by the screen filter and collected on the magnet.

Locknut have you changed this before?

2013-01-05_14-18-17_962.jpg
1/2" magnet

2013-01-05_14-16-47_789.jpg
inlet hole

2013-01-05_14-16-58_652.jpg
screen

/ Kubota GR2000 metal shavings in hydraulic oil screen. How much is to much? #2  
Never pulled the screen assy myself.I had the dealer change the hydro fluid initially,and then sometime after that they rebuilt the whole thing.I was down there the other day and the Tech looked up the serial # break on early GR's for the old vs new changeover design.Wrote it down,now can't find it.He also told me some of the things that were involved in the changeover/or rebuild upgrade with sold units under warranty.The problem was using bushings on the rear axle that developed leaks.The fix was a bearing/seal setup but that required a whole new case.Also,with the leaks,the fluid level would drop up top whereby the PTO would be damaged with the oil starvation.He also mentioned a new charge pump with the upgrade.

Anyway,the shavings in those pics doesn't look good to me.Others in the past have found this to be the remnants of some thrust washers, IIRC.

/ Kubota GR2000 metal shavings in hydraulic oil screen. How much is to much?
I wondered how much info I would get because others like you would have the dealer do the original oil change.
Yeah. If I was a dealer mechanic and saw what I saw I wouldn't say anything either. Especially if it was the first change.
I lost track of you guys after I bought this Kubota. I still feel I made a very good decision.
Shortly after my purchase I moved to the other side of the tracks and don't have near the hills.
I have a mulcher attached mainly for the leaves and do spend twice as much time collecting leaves than I do cutting grass.
If you find that number let me know.
My sn# is 10609

/ Kubota GR2000 metal shavings in hydraulic oil screen. How much is to much? #4  
You have an early one for sure.If you bought it used some work may have been done previously.

The serial # break on the case/axle bearing is 12588.

There is an additional break on the PTO upgrade-11590. Yours is below that,so the shavings are likely the thrust washers on the PTO drive assembly.

Either way,it looks like you may need the whole upgrade done if the tractor hasn't been touched.

Well I guess that is just dandy! The original dealer that I bought it from went out of business a while ago. The new dealer is not to far from me and I hope they are a little familiar with what may be going on here. I'm not certain but I bought this tractor in 2005 so unless there was a national recall replacement order sent out by Kubota then I'm sure I will have to pay the big bucks to get it fixed right. Also I would not feel right selling this tractor knowing that it isn't 100%.

/ Kubota GR2000 metal shavings in hydraulic oil screen. How much is to much? #6  
The current cost of doing the whole upgrade is around 3K so you might want to try to get some help from Kubota.The Company has a program whereby all 3 parties participate equally to get something fixed after the warranty runs out.But,the new dealer you mentioned may not want to participate being as they weren't the original seller.I'm asumming you bought it new,you have not mentioned so.

Thanks. Yes I bought it NEW in May of 2005.
And no I don't think I will spend 3000. I have not heard back from the dealer yet so I don't know if they got my message
and don't know how to respond or they just didn't get my message. I can buy a newer model GR2010 for 4500 or 5000 with less than 100 hrs used.
I am glad I started now.

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded
Date: January 14, 2013 8:17:49 PM GMT-05:00
Subject: test

Kubota put their head in the sand with the earlier models having poor transmission problems and poor design axels. If you get a model with the older serial numbers then you will be okay. If you want to buy a used one then you need to check if the transmission had been changed or ask if it is a later model.

Kubota put their head in the sand with the earlier models having poor transmission problems and poor design axels. If you get a model with the older serial numbers then you will be okay. If you want to buy a used one then you need to check if the transmission had been changed or ask if it is a later model.

A wonderful tractor for basic lawn needs and use on hills. If you need 4x4 and a slightly tougher unit with pto and tougher garden needs then go with the Bx series.
As long as they cover a partial expense for the repair of my transmission that has continued to shed metal shavings into the transmission screen then I will be okay. GR 2000 with 313 hours is way to new for this unit to go to the bone yard. I am sure Kubota will come through. If they don't *I will drive farm to farm with a NO KUBOTA sign on my license plate and share my story with the local Kioti dealer.

Sent from my iPad

/ Kubota GR2000 metal shavings in hydraulic oil screen. How much is to much? #9  
Well I guess that is just dandy! The original dealer that I bought it from went out of business a while ago. The new dealer is not to far from me and I hope they are a little familiar with what may be going on here. I'm not certain but I bought this tractor in 2005 so unless there was a national recall replacement order sent out by Kubota then I'm sure I will have to pay the big bucks to get it fixed right. Also I would not feel right selling this tractor knowing that it isn't 100%.

if you need a hand, we're about an hour away. We've done dozens of GR transmission repairs. Its not cheap, but the end result seems to be holding up.

Thanks, I am very familiar with your business and had thought of you already. My new dealer is looking into a transmission that was taken out of a unit at another dealer that only had 20 hours on it. If that comes through then I should and would probably get it fixed. If however the repair will cost more than the tractor is worth then I may just trade it in to you guys and purchase a BX series.
My my KUBOTA license plate with a LICENSE PLATE NO KUBOTA.jpg circle on it will be a great conversation piece while I visit with all my agricultural customers in the great state of Pennsylvania.
I will let you know how I make out and may give you a call or stop by.

skeeterbug