G5200 HST Prop Shaft Spline Failure

/ G5200 HST Prop Shaft Spline Failure #1  

Baby Grand

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H
While driving our new-to-us G5200 around our field a few weeks ago there began a terrible screeching noise and the tractor stopped dead. Fearing the worst (an HST problem) I shut her down and towed her back to the garage, making sure to keep the rear wheels off the ground.

After some inspection and disassembly, here is what I found:

P1130078.JPG

P1130074.JPG

P1130077.JPG

P1130076.JPG

Prop shaft and Lovejoy coupling splines are toast.

The good news is that after a call to Messick's I found out that the parts are available and are not too expensive. Will update this when the new parts arrive.

Last edited:
   / G5200 HST Prop Shaft Spline Failure
Ordered all the parts Sunday night with regular shipping.
They were on the front step when I got home Tuesday night.
My hat's off to Messick's. Huzzah!

The parts went in with minimal language and everything is working right. Huge relief.

/ G5200 HST Prop Shaft Spline Failure #4  
Nice! Now you'll know what to do in another 25 years when you have to do it again.;)

Thanks - that's funny. I had the same thought when I got it all back together on Sunday. Luckily, the mower deck shaft splines look fine, so I'm going to put some fresh blades on it, do a little preventive patch welding, shoot it with some paint and then wait for the grass to grow so I can try it out. I really like this machine and can't wait to hook the Cyclone Rake up to it, but that's another item way down on the to-do list. With any luck it will completely replace the Craftsman so I can unload that maintenance hog.