G1800 transmission had me baffled

/ G1800 transmission had me baffled #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
The last few times I operated my G1800, I noticed it was very very s-l-o-w in reverse. I even reached down with my hand and pulled back on the treadle to see if I could make it back up faster, but no. I've been really baffled even more because it runs great in forward and seems very strong. While mowing my lawn yesterday, the reverse speed was driving me nuts. I decided that when I finished mowing, I was going to consult my repair manual to see what I could find. Maybe there is an adjustment.

About 3/4 through the job, I was lifting the deck chute grass deflector with a bungee cord I have that goes from the deflector on one end and the other hook around my seat spring. The bungee lays between the cruise control lever and the hydraulic deck lift lever. I noticed that the bungee had moved the cruise lever slightly forward in the fender slot. I reached down and moved the lever all the way back and then checked my reverse speed. It was magically fixed; it runs in reverse at full speed. Sheesh! What a dope!:ashamed:

So if you ever seem to think that your G1800 or similar mower is slow in reverse, check that cruise lever.:)

/ G1800 transmission had me baffled #2  
Make sure the deck lift lever was not being pushed by the bungee cord to activate the deck lift all the time as this could divert the flow from the charge pump circuit and many of the garden tractors are using diverted charge pump flow for the hydraulic lift function and starving the hydro of charge oil is not a good thing.

David Kb7uns