Replacing the GR

/ Replacing the GR #1  

csr0831

Silver Member
Well folks....when I bought my GR 2100 in 05, it was suppose to be my last tractor. Wrong (I think). I've e been through all the leaking issues and had the tranny rebuilt and now I have another leak in one of the input shaft for the left rear clutch (disscused in my other thread on here_), but even if I get this fixed (when), I just don't have a good feeling about this machine. The motor is bullet proof, but the tranny and glide steer I have a feeling are going to continue to cause me grief. Sooo...Ive got about 225 hours on it and it's had all the fixes and it has a Johnny Bucket (which is the best part of the machine).....so I figure I should be able to get about 4k...maybe 4.5K...maybe that's too high? Anyway, I would be willing to put another 3K in a new machine so for 7 to 7.5K I need to replace the GR. I need a minimum of a 50 inch cut and something that has the power (and a non leaky tranny) to do some hauling and pushing (in short, a Garden tractor). I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. I am not particular to one brand or another, but I would prefer new to used......I MIGHT consider a really GOOD used unit...anyway....thanks for read this long and somewhat rambling post. : )

Chris

/ Replacing the GR #2  
I am not sure what the resale is on GR units but $3-$4000 sounds possible. I know most Kubota fans are aware of the many issues with them. The older G series Kubota garden tractors are much more desirable. If you just want to mow with it you may want to get a zero turn type mower as $7500 would buy a nice commercial zero turn. What functions do you need the unit to handle? That would give us a better idea on what model(s) to recommend. Are you looking to go new or used?

I would check out Craigslist first if going used - craigslist: hartford classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events - as there are hundreds if not thousands of used tractors out there. I have seen some real "deals" on low hour units when the person gets in financial straights etc. and needs to dump it.

For Kubota I would email Brady Barlow - Home | Barlow Equipment

For Deere I would check out these dealers:
www.lawnpower.com サ Used Inventory
Zero Turn Mowers, Tractors & Attachments | Mutton Power Equipment

All three dealers above ship both new and used units nation wide. They can give you an idea on price. You can also check your local dealers.

/ Replacing the GR #3  
Unless you have a real tight area to mow I would look at the BX1860, since you all ready are using a Johnny Bucket, I think it would be a good step.

I have a BX2230 and a G2160, for mowing and landscape tasks and my neighbor has 2 BX2360s, one with loader and 3 point implements and the other with mower and bagger, and he only has 3 acres of manicured lawn but finds uses for them both but he can only drive one at a time.

David Kb7uns

/ Replacing the GR #4  
you can get a used BX in your price range. I'd start there, its a vastly heavier tractor.

A johnny bucket on a GR scares me. That tractor is not made for loads like that.

/ Replacing the GR
Thanks for the response gents. I have always been concious of the extra stress the bucket puts on the tranny and to that end it has always been used only for light duty things...moving multch, some LOOSE dirt, hauling tools back and forth etc. Your point is well taken though. I would LOVE to have a BX, I just don't think I can justify it...let alone store it. I have an old Gravely in my shed already and I can barely get the GR in, let alone a BX. Additionally there would be some manurivibilty issues in the trees and I ahve a couple of gates that I can barely get the GR through so I am a bit limited in terms of size. The dealer has not said yet if he or Kubota is going to help with teh cost og the current repairs...suppose to be talking to the factor rep today.......guess we'll see...

/ Replacing the GR #6  
Hi all just thought I would relay this about the GR2100 I owned for almost 2 years and found that when it worked it was a great mower. But that is all that it will ever be good for, even the snow plow is junk. I had some leaks and broken cables that were fixed under warranty but I could see that these were going to be on going problems so I traded it in for a BX2350. I now have a mower not much bigger than the GR2100 but far better built. I also have a real bucket on the front and 3pt hitch on the rear. Mowing time with the GR VS BX is the same. As far as gate size a 54" deck is a 54" deck".

/ Replacing the GR
Ok...I just wrote a long post and lost it...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The abriveiated version is that the dealer is offering me a new BX 2360 with a loader and 60" deck for my tractor (2005 GR 2100/w a johnny bucket, 225 hours) + 8600.00. What am I missing?? He said he normally sells the BX equipped like I want it for 16086 and if that is the case, he's giving me approximately 7700.00 for a tractor that is 7 years old and only cost 8K to begin with. What the **** am I missing????

/ Replacing the GR #8  
What are you missing? Nothing. When I did the change I also went with r3 tires (no problems with the lawn) and loaded rear tires for ballast.

/ Replacing the GR #9  
Ok...I just wrote a long post and lost it...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. The abriveiated version is that the dealer is offering me a new BX 2360 with a loader and 60" deck for my tractor (2005 GR 2100/w a johnny bucket, 225 hours) + 8600.00. What am I missing?? He said he normally sells the BX equipped like I want it for 16086 and if that is the case, he's giving me approximately 7700.00 for a tractor that is 7 years old and only cost 8K to begin with. What the **** am I missing????

If it's something that you can use and can afford,go for it. Offer them 8000 and the 60mo 0% interest.Sounds like it's time to play the game and when it's over you'll have a tractor that is built to last a long time :thumbsup:

/ Replacing the GR
I've no doubt that I want to get the BX, what I don't understand is why he is apperantly giving me approximatly 7.7K on an 8K tractor that is 7 years old. I know he is probably discounting the BX some and the bucket adds SOME value to the GR, but it still seems to me that his offer (what he appears to be giving me for the GR) is way to high??