Kubota T2080

/ Kubota T2080 #1  

HRSx2

Bronze Member
Well, it has been a while since I've last posted, but I'm in need of a new mower. I thought I'd talk to the experts before making any decision. Today I looked at the T2080 and T2380. I liked what I saw. I've done a search but not many posts. I'm guessing this is because most are going for the zero turn for the money. Anyone have one and care to give an update. Thanks. Oh, this will replace a Cub 2000 series, so I know it should easily make me happy. I just want to know it is worth the $4860 I was quoted for the small one. That's cost, tax, fees, etc. Thanks.

/ Kubota T2080 #2  
they are good mowers, and more reliable than most. Its not the most bang for your buck that you'll find, but the people who have them seem happy and have very few headaches.

/ Kubota T2080 #3  
I don't consider myself an expert but here's my take. The main uses of my machine are mowing a couple acres and pulling a trailer to pick up sticks and stuff like that. This spring I traded in a 10 year old Cub Cadet 2146 (14 hp Linamar engine with 38" deck) for a T2080. I was happy with the Cub except I thought it gave a bumpy ride and some of the minor parts didn't seem to be well made. The main differences with the Kubota are bigger engine, wider deck, bigger rear tires, and rear suspension. I have only used it for about a month, but so far the Kubota is smoother and gets better traction and gives a nice cut, even in thicker grass. So I am happy with it.

After I got it I read some negative things about the Kohler Courage engine, but I just read where Kubota has tweaked it so it's not just the standard Courage. It runs fine but one thing I have noticed is that when the engine is hot and I start it, it makes sort of a popping sound and smokes a little. This is probably normal but it doesn't do this on a cold start.

I also had to buy a "hitching post" from tractor supply to get my very old trailer to fit, but that was no big deal.

Overall, the T2080 seems to be well made and I plan on having it for many years.

/ Kubota T2080 #4  
It runs fine but one thing I have noticed is that when the engine is hot and I start it, it makes sort of a popping sound and smokes a little. This is probably normal but it doesn't do this on a cold start.

UPDATE: After a few months of use, I continue to be satisfied with the Kubota, and I have found a fix for the above issue with the popping sound and smoke, and that fix is to shut the engine off with the throttle about 3/4 of the way up (as the owner's manual says to do). I thought the best thing to do was to shut the engine off at an idle because the old Cub would backfire if you didn't let it idle and cool down for a few minutes.

With the Kubota, I shut it down the same way as I did with the Cub, and after about a month, it started to diesel when shutting down. So I searched around on the Web for answers and everyone said to put the throttle up to at least half. I then looked at the owner's manual and it said the same thing. So when I'm done mowing, I will turn the throttle down to an idle and let it cool for a few minutes but right before I turn it off, I put the throttle 3/4 of the way up and then turn the key off and it shuts down fine and also starts up fine. So it helps to read the instructions!

And if anyone is curious as to why (and again, I'm not a mechanic but this is my understanding), when the key is turned off, there is a solenoid that shuts off the fuel going through the main jet. So if the engine is idling and the key is turned off, the fuel is not shut off because the fuel is going through the idle jet; thus fuel keeps going into the cylinder. But if the throttle is turned up, the main jet is being used so the fuel is shut off.