Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Default Re: Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying

Quote Originally Posted by potter_d View Post
    However, I received a letter from kubota corporate, dated 22 April, that advises me of a safety recall on all of the ZG100 series mowers. "WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT OPERATE THE AFFECTED MACHINES UNTIL REPAIRED. UNDER SOME CONDITIONS THE FUEL TANK DEVELOPS A LEAKAGE NEAR THE HST DRIVE BELT OR HST FANS." The letter goes on to note:
    - "Under certain conditions this may cause a fire hazard."
    - "As of this writing, repair parts are not yet available."
    - "...we will reimburse you up to $150 for hired lawn care..."
    I think what you have there is the definition of CYA. They are going so far as to even give you a rebate in the form of lawn care. If it were my mower, I'd inspect it closely for fuel leakage and just keep using it as long as no leaks are found. Kubota has a lot of lawyers on their payroll and they have to think about a worse-case scenario. They are trying to mitigate their loses in case of a lawsuit. Essentially, you can translate that notice as saying, "Use at your own risk." If I had that mower and was confident I had no leaks, I'd just keep using it and return it when contacted by the dealer for recall repairs.
    Jim

Tractor
    John Deere 870

Thank-you - that is good advice.

And, the dealer just called to schedule the repair for the week of 6 May, approx 10 days from now.
    Dealer support is excellent.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200

Quote Originally Posted by potter_d View Post
    Thank-you - that is good advice.

And, the dealer just called to schedule the repair for the week of 6 May, approx 10 days from now.
    Dealer support is excellent.
    Please let us know how things work out and if you still like the mower. I am trying to narrow down my purchase selection and the kubota was right at the top of my list. Do you have the Kohler or B&S motor? If so with the limited hours on the machine what are your thoughts on the motor quality?

Tractor
    BX25

Anyone heard anything more about ZG124 E? I also am interested in getting maybe this or the 48" S model. I have 8 or so yards I mow weekly and this seems like a pretty nice machine. The engine does worry me a bit.

Bronze Member

They make a 23hp version too. kubota ZG123S-48

I went to a local dealer and two ZG's (27/54 24/48 were in their steel crates uncovered full of water. I told my wife that's absurd a 5-6k mower left out , a sheet of plastic would suffice. I too am looking at the 24/48 I wanted the Kubota name more for resale than anything. But , after seeing how this dealer keeps his inventory - I'm gonna look elsewhere. Luckily I have two fairly close by.
    I'm guessing a trip to the other dealer in in store. 4yrs /300 hours is decent protection.

A lot of mowers in this price range and well made too.
    Snapper ZT2748 400Z Zero Turn 27hp / 48in was my other thought.
    Last edited by Tom59; 05-02-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Bronze Member

So for 500.00 you get headlites - suspension seat and the kohler engine. I need to know more about engine longevity and issues like most here do.

The ZG124E-48 is a 24hp Briggs & Stratton engine @ $4,449.00 promotional
    price.
    The ZG123S-48 is a Kohler 23hp engine with the suspension seat & headlites @
    $4,949.00 promotional price.

Tractor
    Kubota L3700SU

Kohler is sold as an engine upgrade for Briggs on several brands mowers. However my personal experience has been much better with Briggs.

Bronze Member

I've heard the same thing. Kommander has two recalls on it right now and the engines swayed me to Gravely or Hustler. Ariens doesn't carry Kawasaki either which is odd.
    Right now I'm looking at a Gravely Pro Turn 148 the hardest , Kawasaki FX series engines. Another 1000.00. Or the model just under it ZT-HD if they will swap out the seat for me. This one was 4800.....I test drove both and really liked the pro turn. FR series kawasaki engines. Kawasaki's make more tq at lower rpms. I like that idea.

Tractor
    New Holland TT45A

I just bought one, I wasn't excited about the Kohler engine ether. But my father has Lincoln welder with a Kohler Pro engine and it has run for years with no major issues. I'm hoping the mower's engine is just as reliable.

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

You may consider expanding your options and look at Scag, Ferris, Exmark and Simplicity machines.

They (Scag/Exmark/Ferris & Simplicity) all have Kawasaki FX engine options. Ferris and Simplicity are the same manufacturer, but Scag and Exmark both make excellent machines as well.

If you are spending $5K range, that's "near commercial" a better machine - about 850 lbs with transmissions and drives in one piece, then step up to commercial, where you get separate pumps and wheel motors, and a heavier machine 1100 lbs range. But each step is about $2K - you can get a Sears ZTR for $3K, a near commercial for $5K a true commercial machine starts at $7K.

Carl
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast