Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #1  

Leon Wittner

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - L2800, Kubota RTV 900, Kubota ZTR 124Z
Thinking about buying a new Kubota ZG124E-48 soes anyone have any information on how good they are? Kubota Mower

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #2  
I was actually at the local dealer today and looked at the ZG with the Kohler engine and the ZD221. I really like the diesels but I really don't need that much machine (although it would be nice). The ZG is a solid looking machine. I would really prefer a Kawasaki engine but the dealer said they order all of theirs with Kohlers and according to them they have had no problems. Any information would be greatly appreciated

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #3  
The one big question I have about this mower is the quality of the two motor options on this mower. The motor options are:
1) The Briggs and Stratton Pro
2) Kohler Courage Pro

After looking over the machine pretty well, the quality of the motor options are really my main concern about the mower.

Any thoughts on the mower and/or the motors is greatly appreciated.

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #4  
Kawasaki....(or diesel) ...........period.... Briggs or Kohler is a show-stopper for me..

The fuel injected Kawasaki engine will gain significant fuel consumption efficiency over the carburated Kawasaki versions.

$0.02

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #5  
Does anyone out there have any personal experience with either the B&S Pro or the Kohler Courage pro motors?

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #6  
I have serviced a few Kohler Courage engines. For my mom's mower (50 in Toro zero turn) and on a friend's Cub Cadet. The Toro is a 23 hp. Not sure how many hours are on it as the mower doesn't have a hour meter. Its 3 years old and maybe 25 or 30 hours a year. No problems to date. Uses the same plugs and filters (not air filter) in the Kohler Command series.

The Cub Cadet is a 22hp, has a 46 hrs on it and no problems to date.

The only thing I notice with both engines is after about 10 or so hours when you turn the key to start the engine it will turn over may once or a half a turn and stop (the key is still in start position). Wait a second or two then it will start. When the motor stops you think the battery is weak, but then it starts. I have read that the Courage motor uses more plastic parts vs. the command, but I don't know for sure. The Kohler command on my Toro has 435 hrs and on an 17 year old Cub Cadet there are 522 hrs. No problems with either.

The Toro my mom has works good for her yard. I use it, as well as other family members (whoever is available to cut the grass that week) and no one has had problems. Just keep it serviced and clean.

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #7  
notice that its a "courge pro", not a courage engine thats found on $1500 lawn tractors.

I would not be surprised to see a Kawaski version at some point.

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #8  

That's an interesting comment. I've always considered Kawasaki to be a direct competitor of Kubota. For example, I'd be shocked to hear that Kawasaki has made a Kubota diesel an option in the Mule. However, I'd be even more surprised if Kawasaki introduced a diesel powered motorcycle with a Kubota engine.:D

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #9  

That's an interesting comment. I've always considered Kawasaki to be a direct competitor of Kubota. For example, I'd be shocked to hear that Kawasaki has made a Kubota diesel an option in the Mule. However, I'd be even more surprised if Kawasaki introduced a diesel powered motorcycle with a Kubota engine.:D

/ Kubota ZG124E-48 Buying #10  
I've been a member of TBN for ~10 years and have learned a lot from this site. This is my first post...so please bear with me.

I bought a new ZG127S-54 on 8 April, 2013. This was my second Kubota mower and first zero-turn mower. The ZG127 has met all my expectations and has ~3-4 hours on it.

However, I received a letter from Kubota corporate, dated 22 April, that advises me of a safety recall on all of the ZG100 series mowers. "WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT OPERATE THE AFFECTED MACHINES UNTIL REPAIRED. UNDER SOME CONDITIONS THE FUEL TANK DEVELOPS A LEAKAGE NEAR THE HST DRIVE BELT OR HST FANS." The letter goes on to note:
- "Under certain conditions this may cause a fire hazard."
- "As of this writing, repair parts are not yet available."
- "...we will reimburse you up to $150 for hired lawn care..."

I talked with my dealer today. They know about the recall, but have no information on parts availability and offered to put my name on their list for repair. I can not find any information on the Kubota web-site.

This is prime grass cutting time in middle Tennessee. I'm not comfortable with hiring a lawn contractor or prepared to cover the expense of a lawn mowing service. My next step is to start shopping for another mower...probably not a Kubota.