Kubota F series

/ Kubota F series #131  
John, how much counter wight do you have installed on the rear, or did your dealer add any

Dan

Interesting that you asked that. I noticed the counterweight that comes factory installed on the back of the Fs looked like new black paint and possibly looked like it could have been an additional amount added to the factory installed weight. I kept pondering why anyone would add additional (above and beyond the factory installed weight) weight on the back of the 2wd model. Stopped at Barlows yesterday, gave them credit card to cover the $30 payment for new oil filter and gallon of oil for the F2680 and asked if they had rec'd the owners manual that had been mistakenly sent to NC and did they add more weight to the back of the F2680. Gary said that they just painted the original factory installed weight. I guess the rear weight is to counter balance the front deck that rides on the ground when it's lifted up off the ground for what ever rreason since it wouldn't have much value over rear non drive tires for traction, in my opinion. If additional traction is needed for a 2wd F model then Steve Barlow had mentioned loading the 2 drive tires but where I use this F2680 is fairly flat land.
I also plan to sell the 2 drive bar tires and put the turf tires back on. So, bar tire lovers here is an opportunity.:cool2:

/ Kubota F series #132  
Interesting that you asked that. I noticed the counterweight that comes factory installed on the back of the Fs looked like new black paint and possibly looked like it could have been an additional amount added to the factory installed weight. I kept pondering why anyone would add additional (above and beyond the factory installed weight) weight on the back of the 2wd model. Stopped at Barlows yesterday, gave them credit card to cover the $30 payment for new oil filter and gallon of oil for the F2680 and asked if they had rec'd the owners manual that had been mistakenly sent to NC and did they add more weight to the back of the F2680. Gary said that they just painted the original factory installed weight. I guess the rear weight is to counter balance the front deck that rides on the ground when it's lifted up off the ground for what ever rreason since it wouldn't have much value over rear non drive tires for traction, in my opinion. If additional traction is needed for a 2wd F model then Steve Barlow had mentioned loading the 2 drive tires but where I use this F2680 is fairly flat land.
I also plan to sell the 2 drive bar tires and put the turf tires back on. So, bar tire lovers here is an opportunity.:cool2:

John,
You know, I noticed the same thing when I checked out the Kubota website. I was looking at the new F3990. There were a few interesting driver console additions and a bit more on the exhaust after-treatment but like you John, I also noticed the new (standard (?) suite-case weight assembly sticking way out the back end. That's exactly how mine was equipped when I got the F3680 from my dealer and I never liked it. My dealer delivered mine with a new 57” snow blower on the front end so I thought that they would have installed more weight at the rear to offset the added weight of the blower.

Each (4) weight weighs 55 Lb plus the weight of the mounting bracket and bolts for a total of about 230 Lbs. When you deduct the existing cast-iron weight, which weighs 106 Lbs according to Kubota, the net difference is only 124Lbs. Some folks might not mind the added 12” of steel hanging 12” off of the end of the frame, but I didn’t like this installation at all, just does not look right. And, I kept hitting trees (next may have been the corner of the house or shed).

So for mowing season, I took off the suite-case weights and reinstalled the Kubota standard one-piece counterweight, which I think looks better anyway. It is contoured to the tractor and only sticks out 8”.

I was thinking that I would have to re-install the suite-case for winter, especially now that I have a cab and the majority of its weight looks to be over-slung forward of the front axle, but I still did not like the idea of a big chunk of steel hanging way back there to hit things (I supposed I should learn to driveJ … but was constantly thinking about that chunk last winter and it bothered me).

So anyway I’ll show you what I did, and you’ll recognize the fix right away. I made-up a stronger mounting bracket out of 1//4” plate and welded a heavy lip at the bottom like the standard one only much stronger. I bought a Kubota standard counterweight inverted it and installed upside-down over the existing counterweight. It fits nicely and does not interfere with the hood opening (about 3” clearance). So when blowing snow this winter, I should experience the same swing-out on turns as I have become used to when mowing grass.

/ Kubota F series #133  

I'll try for some pictures now... Dan
DSC_0569.jpgDSC_0543.jpgDSC_0550.jpg

/ Kubota F series #134  
Now I am going to have look at my counterweights on both 3680s, I do not think they changed in 7 years.

/ Kubota F series #135  
I don't have extra counter weights, just the regular issue ones which I've gotten used to after 5 years on all 3 Fs.
I have canopy covers on mine. Last year I backed into my walnut tree and several hundred small walnuts bombarded my roof.:D
Changed oil and oil filter on my new used F2680e yesterday and marked hours (155) and date (10-18-13) on END OF white filter with black magic marker and I'll also write the same info on cover of owners manual when I receive it. cHANGED ANTIFREEZE LAST YEAR JUST BEFORE TRADING IT AT 120 HOURS. I hit a fence a few times when I first bought my first F as I was turning and the back swinging around into the fence. First time I noticed the old fence sort of starting to lean over away from me and I wondered what in the world was going on. Finally adjusted to have a big a:):) swinging around behind me and rarely hit anything now, I said rarely, still do sometimes.:laughing:

/ Kubota F series #138  
Getting pms on Fs so bumping this to help with some of the questions.

/ Kubota F series #139  
Pms?:confused: My Kubota always puts me in a good mood!:)