Kubota F series

/ Kubota F series #151  
Barnbuilder.....The F-Series are great mowers, and are basically a B turned around at the factory level. They are truly commercial duty units and yet are often traded in or sold directly by municipalities or golf courses or such well before they are worn out but have generally been well maintained (at least mechanically).

All machines have their quirks, and you really have to think "Fork Lift" in terms of how they steer and maneuver....the back end can swing around like an alligator tail .....and with near equal potential for hurting something! You get used to it, but if damage has occurred with a regular ride-on, could still happen with other types.

I got my 3 year-old unit as a traded-in municipal unit with 1500 hrs, which was not a beauty cosmetically, but very good mechanically.....did get them to do a full service, put new blades and new tires all around, but then did have to do some repairs to the steer axle (bushings & bearings) about 100 hrs on. Otherwise has been just fine and certainly the ideal machine for our 4 steep acres!

In addition to local dealers, check with others and golf courses and large landscape or grounds maintenance outfits as well. Good Luck in your search! Cheers, Rip

/ Kubota F series #152  
I sold my first F3080 to a man in NC a year or two ago and Barlows delivered it. :) I had traded my first ever F a F2680e to Barlows for my second F3080 and after 3 years I was ready to trade again, price was right for me on a new one and what I sold the used one for. Ended up buying my original F2680e back after selling the F3080. I'm a satisfied F owner.:D
You may need to shop around to find a used F with low hours and Barlows has a lot of customers that trade with him since he gives such great sale prices on new and for trade ins.
Most Fs are government and golf courses and estates but there are some of us few acres guys that want the best mower made for comfort, speed and reliability that are willing to pay for it but we to like to trade around in the F pool and some times people down size their land and need something smaller.
The Z really isn't in the same class contrary to what some Z owners want to believe. I've tried a Z and it's just not. The Z I tried was a trade in to Barlows from a man from Tn for his second F3680. He can tell it again as he probably already has in this thread.
If you can afford it, get the lowest hours one available or a new one. Just like any other tractor purchase. There are people geared to high hours and saving money but I'm not one of them at my ripe age of 67 and where aggravation and repair jobs aren't fun for me when I can pay to skip it. :cool2:

/ Kubota F series #153  
As Aczlan said, the F are really factory Frankenstein versions of the BX and B units, so completely different than the ZD or other zero-turns. Still not the best for towing as the back end swings around like a crocodile tail, but would still be useful for some things.....just have to work around the counterweight also, so was wondering if someone else had come up with a slick version? I can certainly (re)invent my own wheel though.

Will get to working on my de-thatcher soon as I get couple other little projects out of the way (including taxes).

Cheers, Rip

Good to see you back RIP
We're not quite ready for grass in my neck of the woods, -2C yesterday morning with ice rain I still have a foot of snow on the fields yet to melt off, but good news is, we're headed up +14C today..
Back to your counterweight issue, did you finally install an inverted factory weight as we had discussed last year? Or did you purchase a set of suitcase weights? I attached a picture of the system I came up with.
DSC_0541.JPG if you are considering a trailer hitch, F series machines are not designed to pull anything, nor carry much tongue weight. I would take a good look at the tractor frame. It is designed nicely for its intended use, but would be considered weak at the steer axle area if you were to trailer with it... You would want to weld additional steel (maybe box it it) at the rear plate area which supports the counterweights. I had thought of doing the same at one point but the risk of cracking the frame is too great. and that's not to mention the hydraulic steering valve & cylinder stress...
cant wait to take the snow blower off and mount the deck...

Dan

/ Kubota F series #154  
Well after talking to dealer it won't be a new one. $25K is out of my budget right now. Have to buy a new truck and trailer first. Found a nice used one in TN and MS.

/ Kubota F series #155  
Hi Dan,

Good to hear from you and see your machine working well for you in the snow. You have a cab if I recall? I did most of my snow removal from the comfort of a PU or a Toolcat, but have finally sold both of those cold-weather places. Did have a 6 ft blower on a PowerTrac open-station tractor but picked my times to tackle the drifts and such only when I had to.

I could not get a good deal like you got on a second factory counterweight (was quoted AU$750 for a new one) although you did a slick job of mounting yours. I had a local fabricator make up one from 115 lbs of steel plate for a lot less and just bolted it over the factory one.....quite noticeable improvement in steering and traction in my conditions.

Not looking to tow anything serious.......aerator, small cart, 25 gal sprayer ......nothing more than a few hundred pounds.....not a good set-up for towing anyway but still would be handy. Probably make up a heavy plate to bolt directly to the tractor end plate and remount the counterweights to it with a hitch receiver part of the bottom section. I'll rig something up, just wondered if someone else had beat me to it.

Going to rig up something to mount ahead of the front guide wheels to lift a bunch of matted grass (not really thatch ) to cut and scatter as I mow.....should only need to do it once in a while.....will use some spring hay-rake tines.....would not be a problem if I was always able to mow before grass got too tall.....oh well....this whole place was an over-grown hay field when we bought it.....now a 'mowed paddock' .....not trying for an estate lawn!

Have a good Easter holiday, Cheers from Tassie, Rip

/ Kubota F series #156  
Trailer hitch on the back.

----------------------------------------

Not looking to tow anything serious.......aerator, small cart, 25 gal sprayer ......nothing more than a few hundred pounds.....not a good set-up for towing anyway but still would be handy. Probably make up a heavy plate to bolt directly to the tractor end plate and remount the counterweights to it with a hitch receiver part of the bottom section. I'll rig something up, just wondered if someone else had beat me to it.
-----------------------------------

Have a good Easter holiday, Cheers from Tassie, Rip
Can't help with the Kubota, but I drilled holes in a piece of angle iron and bolted it to the counterweights, for a 2" ball.

P3240008.JPG

The TORO mower that I put a loader on back in 2005, has no problem pulling this 8x16 deckover trailer.

Pictures from 6/14/2009

P6140001.JPG

P6140005.JPG

P6140007.JPG

/ Kubota F series #157  
Looks impressive but I think it's a job for a compact tractor!

/ Kubota F series #158  
Re: Trailer hitch on the back.

Thanks for your hitch photos Xfaxman......I thought of that, but the counter weight on my machine is already supporting a second 115 lb weight by its original two bolts......do not want to push them too far! I have an idea that should work, but am going to be traveling for a while so will wait until I get back.

You did a nice job rigging up that FEL to your Toro.....I have seen lots of your photos that it works well for you!

Cheers, Rip

/ Kubota F series #159  
Looks impressive but I think it's a job for a compact tractor!
This was my tractor at that time, no loader.

P3310005.jpg

That is the same trailer in the background.

P3310007.jpg

/ Kubota F series #160  
Re: Trailer hitch on the back.

Thanks for your hitch photos Xfaxman......I thought of that, but the counter weight on my machine is already supporting a second 115 lb weight by its original two bolts......do not want to push them too far! I have an idea that should work, but am going to be traveling for a while so will wait until I get back.

You did a nice job rigging up that FEL to your Toro.....I have seen lots of your photos that it works well for you!

Cheers, Rip
Thanks Rip, used it today. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/118658-todays-seat-time-110.html#post4110184

P4160008.JPG