Kubota F series

/ Kubota F series #31  
JOHNTHOMAS, that's interesting about the newer models not having turning brakes. My F2260 definitely has them, mounted just to the left of the steering column, it also has a differential lock that will assist when things are wet and steep.
The differential lock is on the left side. Single brake pedal and go pedal are on the right side.
What do you think of the comments made about turf tires on the F series? Would HDAP tires improve traction?
I don't know but might/probably would but I still wouldn't get anything but turfs myself on an F. I get R4/I4s on B size tractors with FELs and Turfs on BX models. There are not traction issues for me on the F unless it's wet or muddy and I don't mow under those conditions. I did mow yesterday because we've had and going to have continued/continuing rain per weather forcaster but grass was dry and didn't realise ground under grass was wet and I did finally quit after getting most of my front yard mowed. I believe A more aggressive tire would have done more damage than my turfs which were gripping. Maybe to well. It's a mower, not a tractor for me. I have a tractor with R4/I4 tires for tractor gripping work.

/ Kubota F series #32  
Hi jcummins .. hope I haven't put you off the F series, they are very stable mowers, as I said in post #9, more stable than my current Kubota BX. Personally I would prefer a more aggressive tread pattern when tackling 30 degree slopes . I mentioned the HDAP tires as in your first post you spoke about the Ventrac , had a peek at their website and it looks like the Ventrac comes standard with All Terrain tires (Field Trax?) but offers the option of turfs or bar.
My best advice would be to get a dealer to demo the F series on site to be sure it does what you want.

/ Kubota F series #33  
The differential lock is on the left side. Single brake pedal and go pedal are on the right side.

Just checked the Kubota site, turning brakes are still offered as an option on the F Series. They will assist in making very tight turns, but will tear up the ground if you use them aggressively.

/ Kubota F series #34  
Just checked the Kubota site, turning brakes are still offered as an option on the F Series. They will assist in making very tight turns, but will tear up the ground if you use them aggressively.
Interesting. In 4 years of use I can't think of an instance where I would have wanted/needed to use a locking one wheel brake. My opinion is that's one place to save some money for sure and leave that option off. Who knows, maybe I'm missing something wonderful that I never knew was available as and added option for I'm sure many added dollars.:D
My opinion on not getting anything but the turf tires is because, again, after 4 years of using three different Fs I've never needed more traction while mowing up, down, crossways that a more aggresive tread would have helped. Have had NO traction issues on dry land and I feel certain I've attacked/mowed or crossed while going to mow as steep a slope/hillside as anyone with an F. In wet grass, which I have encountered in a couple of low spots after several days of rain, I don't think a more aggresive tread would have helped. I don't do mud mowing, except the one time and I did get stuck with my turf tires and had to be pulled out. More aggresive tires WOULD have helped, I'm almost certain BUT I'll never get back into that low corner where water stands after heavy rains again. It's a far corner that I don't mow, I was pushing some trash into that corner to hide it.:)
I encourage people to try what's working or probably will work before spending/worrying about what might happen in the future or worried about/change everything for that less than 1% possability at possibly the expense of the other 99% probability.
Most dealers do not keep Fs in stock but if you find one, go try it and if they have a steep hillside , try it there. I've went down extremely steep hills that were dry and never slid or spun while going up them and I wasn't mowing at the time, I'm talking hill climbing to get back into the woods to mow old logging roads where I drive my RTV1140.

/ Kubota F series
Interesting. In 4 years of use I can't think of an instance where I would have wanted/needed to use a locking one wheel brake

I had a M7040...and in the couple of years I had it I recall ONE time I used independent braking. I cannot imagine wanting to use a grass ripping procedure while mowing a yard. Perhaps if you're doing the optional things you can do, such as snow plowing etc...but mowing, to me it has no use.

Most dealers do not keep Fs in stock

So I've found. Can't see one first hand.

/ Kubota F series #36  
So I've found. Can't see one first hand.

Yes you can, come to Somerset, Ky and you can see and drive 2 different ones first hand. On actual hill sides and real yard, not dealer yard.:)

/ Kubota F series
But JOHNTHOMAS...I'd miss cutting my own grass under MY conditions. You need to come this way...and fish while I'll check the F series out.

/ Kubota F series #38  
Beautiful pictures.

/ Kubota F series #40  
Interesting. In 4 years of use I can't think of an instance where I would have wanted/needed to use a locking one wheel brake. My opinion is that's one place to save some money for sure and leave that option off. Who knows, maybe I'm missing something wonderful that I never knew was available as and added option for I'm sure many added dollars.:D
My opinion on not getting anything but the turf tires is because, again, after 4 years of using three different Fs I've never needed more traction while mowing up, down, crossways that a more aggresive tread would have helped. Have had NO traction issues on dry land and I feel certain I've attacked/mowed or crossed while going to mow as steep a slope/hillside as anyone with an F. In wet grass, which I have encountered in a couple of low spots after several days of rain, I don't think a more aggresive tread would have helped. I don't do mud mowing, except the one time and I did get stuck with my turf tires and had to be pulled out. More aggresive tires WOULD have helped, I'm almost certain BUT I'll never get back into that low corner where water stands after heavy rains again. It's a far corner that I don't mow, I was pushing some trash into that corner to hide it.:)
I encourage people to try what's working or probably will work before spending/worrying about what might happen in the future or worried about/change everything for that less than 1% possability at possibly the expense of the other 99% probability.
Most dealers do not keep Fs in stock but if you find one, go try it and if they have a steep hillside , try it there. I've went down extremely steep hills that were dry and never slid or spun while going up them and I wasn't mowing at the time, I'm talking hill climbing to get back into the woods to mow old logging roads where I drive my RTV1140.

I agree, the turning brakes are not a requirement. My F came with the house when I bought it; if I had bought it brand new myself I would likely not have optioned to have them. That being said, I do have one place I use them every time I mow. It's on a 25 degree slope behind my pool that I mow across the hill side from left to right - about 2/3 the way across my pool fence turns 45 degrees to the left. When I get to that point I tap the left turning brake and it makes the turn very cleanly. If I don't tap the brake the F wants to continue straight across the contour of the hill. Bear in mind that I'm on a 25 degree tilt slope mowing tight to a privacy fence on the up hill side at that point.

I agree also on the turf tires, they do everything I need this machine to do. I have one point along the road where the hill side slopes down from the road about 35 degrees for twenty feet or so. I mow that area by driving up the hill and backing down, moving to the right or left as I do so. I leave the grass long on that hill to prevent erosion so I only mow it every second time I cut the rest of the yard but the F does it with no problem as long as it's not wet.