Kubota F series

/ Kubota F series #51  
The pasture is a rolling ground. EVERY single low point in the "roll" has water flowing down it, or at minimum has water on top of the ground. I've got a driveway going to go thru 3 of those rolls. My concern is water building up on the uphill side during a daylong rain, and causing cuts below the culverts, because of the focus the culverts will cause. Also if the rain is hard enough, it could build up, uphill of the culverts and wash up over the drive.

What you describe with the plow is kind of what is already there. That's why I was thinking of putting field tile in the bottom of these rolls to let the water run off faster, and be drier before any such rain.

I live on a hillside but I'm not on the top soooo water runs down the hill and across my land. Was a Bad thing for years until I got good stand of weeds mixed with some grass to slow the water some to keep it from making dirt ditches. I now am diverting some of the water to go down more of my yard that is more grass than weeds. I've also planted some grasses that grow quick and thick which will divert some of the water to slow it down. Also have planted several fruit trees and decorative trees and some pecan trees that all need the extra water which was a bad thing but is now a good thing. I have some big patches of grass that grow thick and green due to their extra supply of water. Some places around here use big rock to slow water down and I guess make like dry gulches which can be attractive. I'd make a few dams and have me a small pond or two on mine but I don't get enough water to keep them filled. Every type terrain has some up sides and down sides.Good luck on your water diversion projects. Is you big pond at the bottom where your catching that running down water?

/ Kubota F series
Is you big pond at the bottom where your catching that running down water?

Not really. In fact the overflow of the middle pond has a pipe running to the big pond, because the big pond doesn't have enough area drainage to it. I would have built the ponds a bit different than the previous owner. Two large spring areas are outside of both ponds...and I for sure would have put them inside the ponds. That would have made them larger, but probably would have cost more during the construction though. He did not leverage the natural drainage areas correctly IMO. It does look nice the way he did it though.

There is a very good stand of fescue in the pasture that has slowed the water flow pretty well, but that has resulted in wet areas, and I can see the next step is the cutting of ditches. He mentioned he spent considerable time getting the pastured smoothed out...like a babies butt...it looks nice from afar...but now 10 years later after he did that, the lack of field tile in the right areas is keeping to much water in the ground. It's slowly posing a problem.

Planting trees to take advantage of the water...kinds of puts the trees in the wrong spot too. I will be lining the drive...selectively....with some trees it is a thought though to try and capitalize on that extra water.

/ Kubota F series #53  
Mowed about 5 hours today with the F3680, covering ground I would not try with the ZD331 unless bone dry. The bar turfs were leaving indentions in the ground but not spinning(BX1860 wheel & tires) the rear turfs were skidding in places on turns. If I waited much later I would have had to bush hog the grass.

The only problems I have had were missing the grease zerks on the drive shaft from the engine to the transmission, one hydraulic hose for raising the deck failing at fitting, and the fan belt failing (885 hrs). The engine drive shaft is high enough that I have to block up the rear or one side at least 6 inches to slide under to service.
Have though of trading the ZD in for another F with a 60 inch deck but have to finish a storage building (75 x65) first. Unless Kubota changes the rates for the better on the F series.

/ Kubota F series #54  
Thanks for your first hand experience Taildragon .. that is the situation I was talking about.
But now I see that even JOHNTHOMAS says " Put bar tires on it" :laughing:

JOHNTHOMAS if you ever decide to sell one of your 4WD F series let me know, it will be cheaper
to get it from you than pay $32K here :laughing:

They are quite common here, there are 3 within earshot of me.

/ Kubota F series
The only problems I have had were missing the grease zerks on the drive shaft from the engine to the transmission,

They are tough to get to. What problem did that cause by missing them?

Speaking of greasing. How often do you hit the zerks on your machine. I've wondered if I'm doing it more than I need to. On my ZD326, I do all of them every other mowing, and hit the spindles on the deck before every mow. To mow my area takes about 5 hours.

/ Kubota F series #56  
Thanks for your first hand experience Taildragon .. that is the situation I was talking about.
But now I see that even JOHNTHOMAS says " Put bar tires on it" :laughing:

JOHNTHOMAS if you ever decide to sell one of your 4WD F series let me know, it will be cheaper
to get it from you than pay $32K here :laughing:

They are quite common here, there are 3 within earshot of me.

$18000. Under 3 years old, a bit over 100 hours, rear discharge 72" deck. If your trading in your Z then the trade will depend on how much Barlows will give me for your z for me to buy another one, F3080.

/ Kubota F series #57  
The engine drive shaft is high enough that I have to block up the rear or one side at least 6 inches to slide under to service.

I back my TORO 325D up on 4 car ramps.
image_21188.jpgimage_21188.jpg

And roll under it with The 'Rough Rider' Bone Creeper
creeper-bone-2.jpg

"Bone Creepers let you roll around with ease. Low profile engineering provides more working room under vehicles and makes hard-to-reach places more accessible. Molded from high impact polymer, it will support you comfortably. Hollow reinforcing ribs underneath The Bone provide unmatched strength. Try as you might, you won't tip or flip over. Large 5" dia. wheels roll easily over extension cords, cracks and other obstacles that stop other creepers in their tracks. Take a ride on The Bone - it's worth the investment.
The 'Rough Rider' Bone Creeper has 3/4" higher ground clearance, and wider wheels for outdoor use."

Last edited:
   / Kubota F series #58  
Lack of grease caused u-joint to come apart, replaced complete drive shaft assembly rather than take a chance.
I grease every 10 hours when I clean the deck and sharpen the blades. Am on the third set with a new set on the shelf waiting. The first of the year I run older blades until I find all the blown down limbs/branches and pushed up rocks.
Knock on wood, am still in original deck belt.
Forgot, the headlight is burned out. Have not fixed yet.

Still waiting for John Thomas to break down and get a F3690 with the 100 inch flex deck and report back. :D

/ Kubota F series #59  
Lack of grease caused u-joint to come apart, replaced complete drive shaft assembly rather than take a chance.
I grease every 10 hours when I clean the deck and sharpen the blades. Am on the third set with a new set on the shelf waiting. The first of the year I run older blades until I find all the blown down limbs/branches and pushed up rocks.
Knock on wood, am still in original deck belt.
Forgot, the headlight is burned out. Have not fixed yet.

Still waiting for John Thomas to break down and get a F3690 with the 100 inch flex deck and report back. :D

Can just get my 72" deck in the door of my Kubota bldg. No 100 incher for me.:D :D