GR2000 Inquiry

/ GR2000 Inquiry #1  

JDLX178

Tractor
JD/LX178
Hello,
I am looking at a GR2000 that a friend is looking to replace (with a new Kubota...GR2020). It has been used for cutting grass (about one flat acre) and blowing snow. The only repair required so far has been a small hose at the top of the transmission.

It has 400 hours on it, and has been very well maintained...hydraulic oil and filter replaced yearly (Kubota Super UDT), oil (Royal Purple synthetic) and filter replaced at least once per year, as well routine air filter, fuel filter, spark plug replacement. He also greases all fittings every few weeks.

I have been reading about a seemingly poor transmssion in this particular model. He hasn't had metal filings on the screen when replacing fluid.

I was wondering people's opinions on a $3900 asking price, as well as thoughts on the longevitiy of this particular machine.

I have 1/2 acre property (flat), and share cutting duties on about 1.5 acres which is also flat. I currently have a JD LX178 which has been great, other than being underpowered for cutting longer grass which is the reason I am considering replacing it with the GR2000.

Thank you in advance,
Paul
Ontario, Canada

/ GR2000 Inquiry #2  
If it's an early model that hasn't been updated with the new case/bearing mod I wouldn't give over 1500 for any of them.I don't care how much good maintenance it's had.It's a 3000 fix if the transaxle goes out.On the other hand,if the serial number is 11588,or higher,you're good to go with the newer case/bearing setup,improved PTO engagement mechanism and larger charge pump.

/ GR2000 Inquiry #4  
I was wondering people's opinions on a $3900 asking price, as well as thoughts on the longevitiy of this particular machine............!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ GR2000 Inquiry #5  
I was wondering people's opinions on a $3900 asking price, as well as thoughts on the longevitiy of this particular machine............!!!!!!!!!!!!
3900 seems high, especially if its an early model. They had serious transmission issues and if you are caught replacing one as I did, it will cost $2000 + labour for a new one. I asked for a break on the price and got $600 back and it was relatively easy to swap out. My unit is a diesel and i paid less than that. i now have $5500 into it total. hope this helps. John