Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227

/ Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227 #1  

BackwoodsMan

Tractor
Kubota L2900
I did my first blade change on my ZG227 and had no problem getting them off, but when I tried tightening the replacements I had no easy way to stop the spindle from turning. When I hand spun the bolts they would stop about a 1/4 inch from the blade and I then needed to use a wrench to take them up for tightening and the spindle would spin. For two of the blades I had a friend hold a wrench on the spindle top bolt, but the center spindle is under the gearbox. Any ideas on how to do this?

/ Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227 #2  
Something doesn't seem right.Are the replacement blades OEM? You should be able to hand tighten the bolts snug up to the blade.I always do this on the RCK48 deck,then use a cordless impact to finish tightening.

/ Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227 #3  
Are you using an impact wrench? It is the best money you'll ever spend if you change your own blades.

Will

/ Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227 #4  
sounds like a spacer is missing, look around or check your diagram

/ Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227 #5  
I just bought a zg227 about a month ago and noticed the same thing. You need to press the blade up firmly, and while holding there, take you other hand and get the retention bolt started and run up, but not tight. I think there are three washer-like spacers that must be slighted rotated left and right, and when lined up correctly, you will feel them "fall" into place. apparently at least one, and I am sorry, I just cannot recall if it is one or all, will "seat" upwards. You can then run the bolt up snug and tighten with your tool of choice. If you do not get that "seating" before you tighten the bolt, then the blade will freely move and it shouldn't do that. I will make sense if you go at it with no blade on and slip those spacers/washer onto the spindle and slightly twist them back and forth and see and feel them seat.

I hope that did not cause more confusion! If it would help, I will be glad to bring it into the shop, hoist it, and take some pics. It was different for me to, till I fiddled around a while with it. It will be easy once you get that "seating" feel.

Good luck. If I can help out with pics, just let me know.

/ Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227
The blades are OEM, all spacers are in place. When I removed the blades, I broke the bolts loose but still had to use a wrench for several turns until I could spin the bolts by hand. It seems like there is a taper on the last 1/4 inch like pipe threads. I am wondering if this is some type of locking design. All 3 blades had the same issue. I have changed blades on other decks and never experienced anything like this. An impact wrench would be nice, but I am working off the ground and don't think there would be enough clearance for an impact tool.

/ Tightening Blades on Kubota ZG227
I did notice the spacers bind up until I moved them. I should have looked at them more closely. I noticed the shaft had splines on it and didn't understand why they were needed since the blade hole is not splined. The other problem I had was trying to keep the spindle from turning when I tightened up on the blade.