FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs

/ FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #1  

Finnster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I'm in the process of buying a B2620, but I was reading the tires threads and it was mentioned that the turf tires deform more underload than the industrials when using heavy loads in the FEL.

How big an effect is this? The kubota site doesn't mention any of this on the loader specs. I don't plan on carrying tons of rock every day, use is only on grass, dirt and driveway.

/ FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #2  
I don't know. Saying it right up front ....but.....I usually always get turfs on BXs without FELs and R/I4s on Bs with FELs. I feel certain the side wall on the I/R 4s are stronger for the heavy lifting and the FEL itself adds quite a bit of weight empty. Not saying don't get turfs but why get turfs instead of I/R4s on a B with FEL? I've never had any more issues with R/I4s damaging my yard (not a lawn) than turfs.

/ FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #3  
I have factory industrial tires on my 1,900 pound Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader. I park B3300SU in my garage and often run it over my St. Augustine lawn without damage to the grass.

I have factory Turf Tires on my RTV500 utility vehicle which, pullling a MUTS trailer, goes into the same work areas as the tractor.

I have had three flats on the RTV500 in 16 months, zero on the tractor. The three tires that were punctured now have Heavy Duty inner tubes within. RTV500 and B3300SU are used in the woods, usually together.

I think I would specify Industrial Tires on the B2620. Industrial tires are very tough. Unless you will maintain putting greens I do not believe Turf Tires would offer an advantage on your relatively light tractor.

Last edited:
   / FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #4  
Also check the tire weight rating, I have read somewhere some of the turf tires were not high enough for a loader with a full bucket. Not sure about the ag tires.

/ FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #5  
I have only had R4's on my tractors with front end loaders. They do not tear up the grass as bad as I thought. If the ground is saturated with water I have found ruts can be left with any type of tire.

My neighbor has a Massey Ferguson with turf tires and I can notice a considerable difference in the sidewall flex on the front tires with a bucket full of dirt versus my R4's.

The sidewalls I had on my B7800 were very stiff and never gave me trouble.

/ FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs
R4s vs turfs... went over that 100 times and read tons of threads. Still not 100% decided.

Basically it came down to that 90% of the moving hours will be during mowing. Most of the fel work will be mulch or dirt. People also commented the turfs were a gentler ride. Plus I'm not taking off into the woods. Sounds like the r4s would be OK on my grass mostly, but some areas have terrible drainage and get swamped out. Between that and the harsher ride, it was a tough sell on the r4s.

I am going to be mad if I pop a tire, plus the r4s look way cooler (silly reason, but still.. the turfs kinda look like chubby donuts. Hate to spend 25k and look like a dope driving a blubbery fatbody of a tractor.)

Tractor ships next week. Have time to switch maybe. Hows the ride on filled r4s after two hours in the seat?

/ FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #7  
I don't have a kubota but do have turfs on my jd. I pump my front tires up about 5 pounds below max psi while moving dirt or materials. Haven't seen much squatting or issues that would raise a red flag. I have oversized 73 inch bucket and have already bit into some piles where the loader couldn't lift the weight

/ FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #8  
I estimate 50% of my time is mowing, 20% snow removal, 20% FEL dirt work, and 10% screwing off doing this or that. I have been happy with these turfs. Over heaping buckings of just about everthing. But, I do not get into woods or construction areas. Homeowner, hobby farm, softball field, soccer field use. Philip.

Attachments

• box blade 02.jpg
    box blade 02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 212
  • box blade 01.jpg
    box blade 01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 177
   / FEL capacity with R4s vs turfs #9  
With tractor tires it is junk at the burn pile which causes the most flats.

I find tractor noise, even though I wear ear plugs, more tiring than R4 tire vibration over long periods, even though I use Kubota Super UDT2 hydraulic fluid, which quiets high frequency HST whine considerably.

If you have Turfs on order, go with them. Try R4's when Turfs are worn out after several years. Then you can intelligently reply to threads like this.

Turfs Vs R4's is not a crucial decision, like whether or not to buy an FEL, or 2-WD Vs. 4-WD, this is "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?".

Carrying some weight mounted on the 3-Pt hitch, either an implement or a ballast box, will counter-balance FEL loads and concomitantly front tire deformation. When lifting max with the FEL a counter-balance on the 3-Pt hitch is best practice.

Last edited: