BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series #1  

SCtractorguy

Silver Member
Tractor
L3240, BX2350, RTV 900
I'm thinking of trading in my 2350 for a zero turn model. I have 2.5 acres of flat yard to mow. I usually put 20 hours a year on the 2350 (its at 55 hrs now) it does the mowing fine and I am happy with it but just thinking of something different and the ZG caught my attention.

I have an RTV900 and a Grand L3240 for my other needs around the property. So having diesel around is not an issue.

I just need to test drive a zero turn to get a feel for 'em.

Any other pros or cons to switching? I won't be putting a loader on my 2350 so that won't be an issue. Are the ZT's easier to do blade and deck maintenance?

thx!

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series #2  
I went from a toro commercial zero turn 60 in cut to a BX2360. The zero turn is much faster, especially if you have a lot to cut around such as trees and bushes. If you have steep hills a zero turn does not do them well. The front wants to always go downhill. Around here I would just cut ditch banks. You just have to compensate on the drive levers. Something to get used to.

Being the Kommander is lighter than a commercial zt I'm not sure how well it would ride. I have driven a residential zt and I can tell the difference of a 1000 lbs from a commercial unit. I'm sure it would do fine though. Has some larger rear wheels.

Test drive one and see how it feels. But when you use it actually ride on grass to get the feel of turning and slopes if there are any.

As far as servicing it, I had a built in stand on mine to change the blades and clean it. It was nice. Without it I guess I would use a floor jack.

You will surely shave time off of your mowing with a zt.

I did the opposite of what you are considering. I also have a RTV and a Grand L. I wanted everything with a diesel engine so I wouldn't have to use gas other than for the generator and 2 stroke stuff.

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series #3  
I inherited a ZG with the 54 inch deck. It mows faster than anything I've ever used and I've been mowing since 1974. It's very maneuverable and on rolling ground, it feels like riding a roller coaster. I actually enjoy mowing. The only down side is that it's so fast (if I want to be) that I get carried away and throw it into turns which causes the rear tires to shred the sod.

Servicing it is about as easy as it gets. I've owned several John Deere mowers and while they're also good, removing the deck, engine and transmission servicing is a little less friendly on the Deeres. However in this area John Deere parts are more readily available than Kubota parts.

The ZG is fast, comfortable, forgiving and literally fun to drive. I own the 23 hp model and I have to say the fuel economy could be better. It uses almost half a tank (about 2.5 gal) in about an hour and a half.

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series
Well, I looked at a few ZT's while out on vacation.
Now that I'm back in SC and there has been a LOT of rain the grass grew about 18" (Bahai grass) and I'm very glad to have the BX to mow the mess! I wasn't sure if I'd have to put the Brush Hog on my 3240!! The 2.5 acres took 3 + hrs to finish. About twice as long as usual.

It took several passes and raking the cut grass to get it mowed nicely. I don't know if a gas powered ZT would have been able to cut through this stuff?!

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series #5  
Well, I looked at a few ZT's while out on vacation.
Now that I'm back in SC and there has been a LOT of rain the grass grew about 18" (Bahai grass) and I'm very glad to have the BX to mow the mess! I wasn't sure if I'd have to put the Brush Hog on my 3240!! The 2.5 acres took 3 + hrs to finish. About twice as long as usual.

It took several passes and raking the cut grass to get it mowed nicely. I don't know if a gas powered ZT would have been able to cut through this stuff?!

I cured my Bahia grass problem...it's called Cimarron Max or Pastora herbicide. Pastora is expensive, but works the best.
Now all I have is thick Bermuda grass. :D

Bill

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series
Well my dealer loaned me a ZD321 54" for this weekend. I have about 3 hrs of seat time on it now. Gotta say, I must be too old or old fashion. I'll stick with my BX 2350!! I can mow my yard and all the other trails and sides of my drive much more confidently with at traditional style tractor. Guess I'll buy new blades from the dealer for the BX and continue to give them my accessory needs business!

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series #7  
I've been mowing with a Ford 1220 HST for 24 years...in 2009, I bought a Kubota ZD326S to give the 1220 a rest...after 2 yrs, I went back to using the tractor more...

I had an offer to buy the 326 that I couldn't refuse...it was a well built, comfortable machine, easy on fuel, but too quick to turn, and like TruChaos said, shredded sod around some areas...

I knew the guy that built Clipper Elites...a copy of the Grasshoppers, and he let me use one for a year...

that machine was more comfortable on my arms...seat position to levers was better...

on the Kubota, my arms never rested on the arm rests...

/ BX2350 vs ZG Kommander series #8  
Well my dealer loaned me a ZD321 54" for this weekend. I have about 3 hrs of seat time on it now. Gotta say, I must be too old or old fashion. I'll stick with my BX 2350!! I can mow my yard and all the other trails and sides of my drive much more confidently with at traditional style tractor. Guess I'll buy new blades from the dealer for the BX and continue to give them my accessory needs business!

Good thing you tried it out. Now you can rest easy knowing a zero turn isn't the best for you.