First Dislike of F Series

/ First Dislike of F Series #1  

EastTexFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L4740, B2400 and F2680
.... and I admit it's a strange one.

When I parked the F2680 a few days ago I got off it and the operator presence switch killed the engine. I forgot all about turning off the ignition, I just walked away and started doing something else. When I went to start it today of course, the battery was flat. No problem. Pulled out the battery charger and hooked it up, connected it to the battery and turned it to "Jump Start". I got on the mower, gave it a couple of minutes, turned the key and it roared in to life. Great. And now the problem. I can't disconnect the battery charger without getting off the machine and having the operator presence switch kill it again. I hate these OPS's. I had to charge the battery for 30 minutes so it had enough juice to start it it on it's own before I could get about my business.

My B2400 doesn't have a pressure switch on the seat. You can get on and off it as many times as you like without it cutting out and dying. The L4740 has one but it only operates if you get out of the seat when the pto is engaged. It doesn't seem to matter on the F 2680, your butt comes out of that seat for any reason and the engine is going to die. You better not hit any big bump that bounces you out of the seat because the engine could be dead by the time you come back down. :)

Now, I understand the safety reason for these things but could we please have a little common sense here. Make it so the engine only cuts out if the blades are engaged. That's essentially what my L4740 does. I don't like doing it but I may have to look into some way of by passing that pressure switch. Has anyone else done it?

/ First Dislike of F Series #2  
In my experiance, those switches are only active when the pto is engaged, which makes good sence. My very old "F" operates this way as does several other tractors. Have you called the dealer to see if this is the proper operation? It does not sound right to kill the tractor with the pto "off" by leaving the seat. They are easy to disable.

/ First Dislike of F Series #3  
Pto off ,parking brake set , you should be able to get off with engine running.

/ First Dislike of F Series
Pto off ,parking brake set , you should be able to get off with engine running.

Bingo!!! You sir are correct!!!!

After I made the original post, I sat and thought about it. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense so, I went out and experimented. What you said is exactly what I found, shut the deck off, apply the parking brake and you can get off it and it'll keep on chugging away. My F2680 is always parked on a flat concrete slab and left in gear so I never need to apply the parking brake. OK, thank you gentlemen, I'm back in love with my mower.

/ First Dislike of F Series #6  
My faith in you is restored!:thumbsup: I was thinking "You traitor" how could you even "think" much less say there is something to not love about the F.:laughing: Any way there are others that beat me to the answer. I'm not certain I have to engage/lock the brake down when I get off but I usually always do but I know I can get off with it running or I can on all of the ones I've owned.
To bad we can't retract our original title of our posts.:D

Yea John, you know what it's like. When you've been riding tractors for well over 30 years you don't need no stinkin' owners manual. :)

I did pass another milestone yesterday. I just went over 50 hours so I suppose I better break out that manual and see what filters I need and how much oil and transmission fluid I will have to pick up. I'll probably get round to doing it on Sunday. I usually let the dealer do the 50 hour service but there is nothing that needs to be fixed under warranty on the "F" so I guess I'll do it myself and just keep the receipts to prove that it's been done.

/ First Dislike of F Series #8  
Yea John, you know what it's like. When you've been riding tractors for well over 30 years you don't need no stinkin' owners manual. :)

I did pass another milestone yesterday. I just went over 50 hours so I suppose I better break out that manual and see what filters I need and how much oil and transmission fluid I will have to pick up. I'll probably get round to doing it on Sunday. I usually let the dealer do the 50 hour service but there is nothing that needs to be fixed under warranty on the "F" so I guess I'll do it myself and just keep the receipts to prove that it's been done.

I mowed today and put my new front wheel on my mowing deck. I set brake and got off and it kept running. I disengaged brake and got off and it quit running. At 50 hours you only need oil, oil filter and transmission filter. It is easy and just a few minutes to change it. It would be a crime to pay a dealer to do it, it's so easy. Here is a copy of an email from Kubota concerning fluid change or lack thereof at this point in time....................John, the person or persons from TBN do not know what they are talking
about. There has not been a Service Bulletin or even a notice sent to the
dealers that this is a mistake in the Operators manual. Kubota Tractor
recommends for you to follow your Operators manuals for servicing of each
unit you have. The BX2660 and the BX25 do not have to have the transmission
fluid change until it reaches the 400 hour mark. For the F2680, it is the
200 hour mark. The transmission oil filters need to be replaced and the
suction strainers cleaned at or before the 50 hour mark for all three
units. Your selling dealer can also assist you if you have any questions in
regard to servicing your tractors. Thank you for purchasing and contacting
Kubota Tractor Corp..

Thanks. I did read the manual and found out just what you said, oil, oil filter and transmission filter. I didn't get a chance to get to the dealer to pick up the filters so I guess that'll have to wait until Monday. That's OK though, I won't be using it until the end of next week. I guess that I'll do the oil and filter change on the B2400 on Sunday. Funny how all these things seem to come due at the same time. :)

The only reason that I've used the dealer for the 50 hour service was to have a record that it had been done for warranty purposes and there were always a couple of things that needed to be fixed at the same time under warranty. With the "F" everything is running great. No problems.

/ First Dislike of F Series #10  
.... nevermind it was answered above, it appeared at first that no one had responded then, or course, the rest of the correct responses flooded my browser.