G 1800 riding mower

/ G 1800 riding mower #1  

dullpain

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M5700 4 WD w/ FEL, Kioti CK4010SE HST, 21' Flatbed Gooseneck Trlr.
Trying to help out a neighbor , his G 1800 , 3 cyl diesel won't turn over or start. I don't have an electrical schematic or any manual on the mower . Took off the starter and the solenoid and starter motor check out OK. Checked the Key Ignition switch with a meter and it tests good with no load. Turn key on and fuel pump makes a constant chattering sound ??? I would not think that would prevent the starter from engaging. Is the fuel pump constant chattering usual ??

Just dead when you turn the key , nothing , starter does not even grunt. I believe it has 3 each safety switches , seat , blade engage , and brake ?? should these be "made up" or closed to start ?? Unplugged all electrical connectors , fuse block , etc. Blew them out and cleaned , no change. It's got a gremlin somewhere , any help appreciated.

Last edited:
   / G 1800 riding mower #2  
Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid ?? The safety switches are open so if you jumper them temporally you can check them too..

/ G 1800 riding mower #3  
Sounds like a safety switch. Disconnect safety switches and short out the harness with a wire and try to start, do switches one at a time so you will know which one to repair. These safeties are to ground, no voltage.

/ G 1800 riding mower #4  
I will bet that if you monitor the voltage to the solenoid when you attempt starting, you'll find it is low, probably in the 10.5 volt range. That's the way my G1800 is. I think that even though you checked the ignition switch, it might have dirty contacts that are dropping voltage. Also the Combination Box on the left side of the engine around the area of the fuel filter is a source of relay logic for the safety switches and other functions. Either the starter switch or the combo box can fail.

I've posted several times about the less-than-desirable electrical system on the G1800. Here is a link to one post showing how I cured my starting problem and also a link to the electrical system diagram. You can copy and print out this diagram for your friend.

/ G 1800 riding mower #5  
I had the same problem with the wife's g1800 and jumped the starter solenoid,, found out that the fused link next to the starter was gone,,,

/ G 1800 riding mower #6  
Try Rocking Mower Backwards To Get To A Different Location On The Flywheel, That Happened To Me A Couple Of Times. Also Check And Make Sure The Bolts On The Post On The Starter Are Tight(Where The Battery Cable Hooks Up ). Larry